P and o flam railway excursion price

Polperro

Can anyone let me know how much the ships excursion to do the flam railway is.

Thank you for any responses

£84 per person (less loyalty discount). I believe that you can buy it far cheaper yourself if you can be bothered to rush off the ship early and buy tickets before it sells out (which apparently it does) but we can’t be bothered with that when we are on holiday so have suffered the cost. Might be worth checking if you can book direct online to guarantee availability. I haven’t looked so don’t know if that’s possible.

£84 per person (less loyalty discount). I believe that you can buy it far cheaper yourself if you can be bothered to rush off the ship early and buy tickets before it sells out (which apparently it does) but we can’t be bothered with that when we are on holiday so have suffered the cost. Might be worth checking if you can book direct online to guarantee availability. I haven’t looked so don’t know if that’s possible.

Yep... we booked in advance on line and paid a small fee as insurance in case for any reason we didn't dock. You print out your ticket and just present yourself at the station. It's the same train, but you are in a different carriage to the P&O groups.

Yep... we booked in advance on line and paid a small fee as insurance in case for any reason we didn't dock. You print out your ticket and just present yourself at the station. It's the same train, but you are in a different carriage to the P&O groups.

Wish I’d thought of doing that as I’ve just checked and it’s half the price of booking with P&O. Unfortunately, it’s now sold out for all the time we are in port.

Can I just ask those who have been on it, is it really worth it? I went on the Scenic Rauma Railway from Andalsnes and didn’t think it was up to much and I recall someone once saying that they had been on better rail trips in Scotland. I will be paying for 4 adults so it’s quite an outlay. That said, is there anything else to do in Flaam?

We were going to book independently - but found it sold out. So have paid the hefty p&o price. Howerever it is for our wedding anniversary,and we’re on holiday, so trying not to mind too much

We are hoping to book on-line ourselves for later in the year, but I was wondering what sort of time to book - I can't find out what time we will be arriving in Flam.

We are the only ship in Flam that day, but even though I have checked several sites I cannot find an arrival time.

If anyone has got any idea, it would be appreciated.

Michele

Can I just ask those who have been on it, is it really worth it? I went on the Scenic Rauma Railway from Andalsnes and didn’t think it was up to much and I recall someone once saying that they had been on better rail trips in Scotland. I will be paying for 4 adults so it’s quite an outlay. That said, is there anything else to do in Flaam?

We went on it a few weeks ago and thought it outstanding ( as did everyone else I spoke to). The shear sides of the valley you travel up, together with the many waterfalls tumbling down them, make it spectacular. I have also done most of the railways in Scotland and there is simply no comparison. I suppose you can’t please all the people all of the time!

We went on it a few weeks ago and thought it outstanding ( as did everyone else I spoke to). The shear sides of the valley you travel up, together with the many waterfalls tumbling down them, make it spectacular. I have also done most of the railways in Scotland and there is simply no comparison. I suppose you can’t please all the people all of the time!

Thanks - that’s good to know. Out of interest, can you recall whether it’s best to sit on the side that you board (platform side) or the far side, for the best views?

We went on the train last year. We thought it was great. We booked privately way in advance and paid the insurance. As to which side, we went all the way up and came back in the same seats, which obviously mean we saw from both sides. From Flaam the views are best on the left early on ,but probably the right later. Not much else to do in Flaam, there are a few stalls and places to get a drink, or you can walk up the valley if feeling energetic.

We went on the train last year. We thought it was great. We booked privately way in advance and paid the insurance. As to which side, we went all the way up and came back in the same seats, which obviously mean we saw from both sides. From Flaam the views are best on the left early on ,but probably the right later. Not much else to do in Flaam, there are a few stalls and places to get a drink, or you can walk up the valley if feeling energetic.

I’m probably being very dim (but it is late), but I thought that the train went up, stopped and then came back the same route, so if you stay in the same seats aren’t you on the same side both ways? Or does it go around a loop to turn around?

I overheard a few people saying what a rip off the railway was, how it wasn’t that good and certainly not any value for money. We didn’t do it due to cost but had a great day in Flam,

What did you do, if not the railway? I believe that it is a tiny place?

I’m probably being very dim (but it is late), but I thought that the train went up, stopped and then came back the same route, so if you stay in the same seats aren’t you on the same side both ways? Or does it go around a loop to turn around?

You are right! The train doesn’t turn round at the top. I suspect most people swap seats for the return journey. We just did the journey up as we were on the Norway in a Nutshell tour. There is more than one platform at Flam, but I would say that it is best to sit on the right as you are facing the direction of travel. I would also recommend sitting with your back to the engine ( if you don’t mind travelling backwards) as the views back down the valley are the best.

P and O have a range of excursion that combine one way on the railway with a coach tour or a cycle ride. The Norway in a Nutshell seemed well received by people I spoke to.

My partner did the return by train and she did not enjoy it. She was marched in a line to the train, told where to sit and who to sit next to. She was with a group who moaned about the cruise in both directions. They were encouraged not to get off the train at the top to ensure they did not miss the train.

I did the train up and cycle partially down. We had our own carriage with only half the seats taken. Nobody marched us or told us where to sit. Everybody was friendly and positive. We had a local guide who encouraged us to get off the train. She looked after our hand luggage while we were off the train. She knew the train guard and he would chat to us about the train when he was not working. The cycle ride was good too with almost no pedalling. At view and interesting points our guide would give a short commentary. A very enjoyable experience.

One of the attraction is a when the train stops for a spectacular waterfall. It does depend on the time of year. It was frozen solid in April which was a shame.

The train ride is scenic. If it is better than any other rail journey I don’t know. As it was my first and possibly only chance to do the train I was happy to pay P and O for an excursion. I don’t think individuals could book in advance at the time. Having done it once,I would book it again but independently to save money. If I missed it I would not be too disappointed as I have already done it once.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wish I’d thought of doing that as I’ve just checked and it’s half the price of booking with P&O. Unfortunately, it’s now sold out for all the time we are in port.

In all honesty, Selbourne, I think the rail trip is about the same as the one in Andalsnes... some lovely scenery and a stop half way up and down to take photos of the waterfall and the singing lady in red in its midst. I believe that the P&O tour might have coffee in a cafe at the top thrown in and maybe a trip up in the train and a ride back in the coach? Not sure. It's supposed to be the highest railway?

However, there really is nothing much to do in Flam otherwise. There are one or two walks around the harbour and there is a 'pub' which a few people said was nice. We are pretty active and walked inland into the old village of Flam.. but it was 3 miles away I seem to remember, so quite a trek for us and not much at the end as the village was being restored after extensive flooding a few years ago.

Just my humble opinion of course. Some people say the train trip was spectacular.

What did you do, if not the railway? I believe that it is a tiny place?

We decided against the railway, having read mixed reviews. Instead, we are doing the fjord safari. The office is next to where the ships dock and we booked this indepently online a couple of months ago. It has great reviews, so really looking forward to it.

We were on this train last week. We weren't that bothered initially but SOOO glad we did it.

We were the only ship in port, we went to the train station around 10.30 a.m. and had a choice of times for tickets. Around £50 per person sterling.

If I had the time I would have booked direct in advance but we booked the cruise quite late.

It stops at the 'main' waterfall both directions so we did not rush off with the crowd going up but got off coming back down..........def worth it.

It certainly is an impressive rail trip. Different to the Scottish west coast so hard to compare. It must be over 40 years since I did the journey. We got off a mainline overnight train in the middle of the night and waited for the first train down. About half an hour before the first train was due three people appeared with a hand cart ( think Buster Keaton) and proceeded to set off down the track. They were the railway staff who manned the lower station ( doubt if the practice still carries on today.)

Booking the train online is easy and not expensive. If you have time ride up and bike or hike back down. The fjord rib boat ride is probably a great adrenaline junky ride, but just watching them is a real disturbance to the fabulous scenery in the area. The area seems ecologically fragile and the rib boats seem out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are hoping to book on-line ourselves for later in the year, but I was wondering what sort of time to book - I can't find out what time we will be arriving in Flam.

We are the only ship in Flam that day, but even though I have checked several sites I cannot find an arrival time.

If anyone has got any idea, it would be appreciated.

Michele

We are going next Saturday and our ship is apparently due to dock in Flam at 8.00 a.m. We looked to book ourselves online but the only availability showed as 7.30 a.m. and returning 4.30 p.m. so we booked with P&O. There are 6 of us so didn't want to take the risk of not getting on.

We are going next Saturday and our ship is apparently due to dock in Flam at 8.00 a.m. We looked to book ourselves online but the only availability showed as 7.30 a.m. and returning 4.30 p.m. so we booked with P&O. There are 6 of us so didn't want to take the risk of not getting on.

They don't sell all the tickets online, but hold a significant proportion back to sell on the day at the ticket office.

The price of the train last year booking at the ticket office was £45 each - not cheap but it is Norway and I wasn't sure I was ever coming back.

As for other things to do, if you are reasonably fit and have some sturdy footwear you can walk up to the Brekkefossen waterfall just outside of town - walk number 3 on this pdf - https://flamsbrygga.no/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/160349-04-Flamskart-NoEn-High.pdf - takes about half an hour along quiet roads until you get to the off road footpath and that is when it gets quite steep.

Well, I've made a decision and booked the 11.05 train. We have already reserved bikes at Myrdal for the cycle ride back down to Flam which should take about 2 hours, so should have time to make it back to the ship. (Famous last words!!)

Michele

I think it's worth it, but there are only two of us and we booked independently. We are taking our granddaughter next year and will take her on even if we have to use P&O. It reminds me of the train up Snowdonia but much better.

There is a circular walk you can do along the valley. It's flat for pushing a wheel chair but we did it after the train ride so it doesn't fill in much time.

We took the P&O train and cycle halfway back trip and cannot think of a serious negative. Train up was good with views from both sides of the train and waterfall halfway up is impressive but the highlight for us was cycling halfway down which allowed much better appreciation of the scenery and time to take it in at your own pace. Plus there’s not much cycling required only breaking!!!

Did ask if there were any cycling tours the whole way down from the top however apparently the top section is a bit precarious for non experienced riders so the companies that run the tours have difficulty getting insurance at sensible rates. Shame even with stops for photos the ride down though really enjoyable, was over too quickly.