EU Compensation for Delayed or Cancelled Flights

milkman55

I am sure this has been posted at some point, but this was my first experience with a delayed flight from the EU. We were delayed 4 hrs 45 min from Dublin to Austin, TX which resulted in our spending the night in Philly.

I saw a small sign at the check in counter that mentioned the compensation, but no details. I Googled the topic and was amazed at the compensation offered for delays starting at 3 hrs.

End story is we received $1400 for the delay. Since we only paid $1600 for our RT Dublin tickets, our net cost was $200 and a less than comfortable night in Philly also paid for by the airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have contacted AA with a complaint about our recent (May 27th) delay from PHL-DUB after our 4 hour normal delay from our connecting flight from LAX they added another 6 1/2 hour delay...no idea what happened to our original plane...but a very OLD, DIRTY, much smaller plane..lost our PE seats which there was none on this type of plane but they did refund those additional charges to my credit card (was apparently hauled out of the storage hanger they said) with a malfunctioning navigation system they discovered once at the gate. Five maintenance Crew boarded and spent sometime on their laptops trying to get it to work (I hope they weren't YouTubing it but that's what many of us felt).

The crew finally had to be changed out (they had waited too long) and this (older) crew wasn't apparently expecting to take this long haul flight at 3:45am Memorial Day. This flight ended up being a nightmare....as we finally pulled out of the gate the Captain said "Well, let's give this old girl a TRY" YIKES and so the terror began all during the flight. Will be interested to see if AA offers anything...but I thought I would try.

Am I making too much out of this ?...This situation was a first for us after many flights with AA and several already pre-booked for this year.

Sorry to tag onto your post milkman55.

Our return flight from Prague to Atlanta on AF was cancelled due to a strike. AF never notified us but I had checked before we went to the airport and noticed the flight to Atlanta was indeed cancelled. Upon returning home I got an email from Delta asking how our flight was. I explained about the cancelled flight but thanked Delta for getting us home. Much to our surprise I received an email from Delta stating we would be getting the equivalent of 600€. The checks arrived within a week. We also got compensation for the fare difference since we had booked premium economy and there was no such animal on the Delta flight. Our flights in the end did not cost that much. I think it must be a European Union airline in order to get compensation. It was a pleasant surprise!

We also got compensation for the fare difference since we I think it must be a European Union airline in order to get compensation.

No, doesn't have to be an EU airline. I am surprised you received compensation because of a strike.

I have contacted AA with a complaint about our recent (May 27th) delay

Sorry to tag onto your post milkman55.

Your inbound flight to DUB was the plane we flew home on that was 4:45 late. I understand that the EU penalties apply to flights IN and OUT of the EU.

You send an email to American customer service at AACustomerRelations@aa.com.

I just received confirmation from AA they are sending payment (allow 45 days for receipt...haha). Anyway it’s a great outcome.

I have contacted AA with a complaint about our recent (May 27th) delay from PHL-DUB ...

... Will be interested to see if AA offers anything...but I thought I would try.

If your PHL-DUB flight was operated by AA, then 261/2004 compensation does not apply.

I think it must be a European Union airline in order to get compensation.
No, doesn't have to be an EU airline.
Non-EU (strictly speaking, non-EEA) airlines are within the scope of 261/2004 for flights from an EU/EEA airport.

I understand that the EU penalties apply to flights IN and OUT of the EU.
For flights from a point outside the EU/EEA to a point within the EU/EEA, only EU/EEA airlines are within the scope of 261/2004.

Your inbound flight to DUB was the plane we flew home on that was 4:45 late. I understand that the EU penalties apply to flights IN and OUT of the EU.

You send an email to American customer service at AACustomerRelations@aa.com.

I just received confirmation from AA they are sending payment (allow 45 days for receipt...haha). Anyway it’s a great outcome.

I just got a response from AA...$100.00 pp travel voucher so $200.00 .... I guess I thought it would be more. My delay was 6 1/2 hours and your's was 4 hrs. 45 min and you got what ?? I guess the difference is you were trying to leave from DUB and I was trying to get out of PHL !

I told my husband as we got off that plane that there were going to be some surprised people at what they were going to be flying back home on...YIKES !! But at least you got compensated for it.

Edited by Ashland

I just got a response from AA...$100.00 pp travel voucher so $200.00 .... I guess I thought it would be more. My delay was 6 1/2 hours and your's was 4 hrs. 45 min and you got what ?? I guess the difference is you were trying to leave from DUB and I was trying to get out of PHL !
It sounds like milkman55 got €600 per person (= ~USD 700 today), which is the amount mandated by 261/2004 for long delays on flights of that length.

But we don't yet know whether 261/2004 applied to your flight. As I said, if it was operated by AA then it would have been outside the scope of 261/2004.

If your flight was not operated by AA and the flight was within the scope of 261/2004, you need to ask the operating airline.

If your PHL-DUB flight was operated by AA, then 261/2004 compensation does not apply.

Non-EU (strictly speaking, non-EEA) airlines are within the scope of 261/2004 for flights from an EU/EEA airport.

For flights from a point outside the EU/EEA to a point within the EU/EEA, only EU/EEA airlines are within the scope of 261/2004.

Well...that sucks !!

Some people make this one of their reasons for preferring flights operated by EU/EEA airlines when the direction of travel is to the EU/EEA.

Yes it was AA the exact same plane I flew from PHL-DUB and milkman55 returned on DUB-PHL. What a difference the compensation was. I would have much rather spent the delay in DUB instead of PHL (my total time at that airport was 10 1/2 hours)...everything was closed... service was terrible...AA brought out a small cart with water and a few snacks it was 3:45AM before out flight took off Memorial Day morning. What a bad start to a much anticipated cruise.

We are aware of the EU regs and it is one reason why we try to fly an EU based airline from North America to Europe.

Why not? And over time we have come to prefer a number of the EU airlines over domestic for trans-Atlantic flights.

We have yet have a delay that warranted a claim.

A couple of years ago my wife and I experienced a significant delay on BA departing from London back to the States.

The pilot was able to make up enough time in the crossing that he beat the threshold by 2 minutes.

No compensation for us.

Oh well, had a fabulous trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We just received our check for $1400. Only took a couple of weeks after we filed the claim. I am still in shock as I have never seen anything like this in 40 years of flying. If anything, I would say the EU compensation is a little too heavy handed. We got all but $200 of our RT airfare back for being delayed 4 hrs 45 min. I think I will keep the money anyway :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums