Impact of Special Group Events on a Ship

Eglesbrech

We were looking at a cruise in September which is advertised at a really competitive rate. Nothing on the P&O web to indicate that it is anything other than a standard cruise.

Being the cynical soul that I am (price looks just too good) I had a general search on the web and discovered that the Osmonds Fan Club are having a number of special events onboard the sailing. These concerts and various events are ticket only so presumably the band must be using one or more of the bigger venues onboard to host them.

That fine for the fans who have booked the events but what does this mean for other passengers? I know there was a lot of annoyance when the Ant and Dec show was recorded on Brittania because of the distpruption it caused.

Has anyone been on one of these kind of cruises when there were large groups with private events and did all the events and subsequent restrictions impact your holiday?

I was on the Ant & Dec cruise and the main problem was with various places and facilities being unavailable due to the storage of equipment and the ITV crew and riggers taking over certain venues. I doubt that the Osmonds Fan Club will have the equipment or number of staff that ITV did. If you can put up with a Crazy Horses disco ot a Donny and Marie look-a-like contest I think you'll be OK

I should think that an Osmonds themed cruise will not change the cruise experience that much. It is not like a Chumley's Bear Cruise, which seem to be scheduled on regular sailings and are not restricted to Bears only or indeed friends of the Bears. Anyone may book the cruise. You simply do not get the full Bear package though apparently. They are well represented on YouTube.

At least you can learn the words before an Osmonds cruise to blend in.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I was on the Ant & Dec cruise and the main problem was with various places and facilities being unavailable due to the storage of equipment and the ITV crew and riggers taking over certain venues. I doubt that the Osmonds Fan Club will have the equipment or number of staff that ITV did. If you can put up with a Crazy Horses disco ot a Donny and Marie look-a-like contest I think you'll be OK

You jest but they are having several “concerts”, a “q & a session”, “Jays special gameshow”, “Merils karaoke”,”Photo session” etc. etc.

I was never a particular Osmonds fan as my sister was a fanatic and had a life sized poster on Donny and played Long Haired Lover from Liverpool ad naseum!!!! No disrespect to the Osmonds but I was more of a Queen fan myself.

My conern is that the bigger venues will be closed to everyone but the Fans.

I did not think, apart from strictly cruises that P&O went in for this type of cruise, I know that Royal Carribean does. I like the Osmonds but don't suppose Donny will make an appearance, looking into it, it is just Merryl and Jay onboard so do not think it will make much of a difference. If Donny was onboard, now your talking.

Edited by mandylennon

• 2 weeks later...

I would say they will do several specific "shows" "q&a" as part of the entertainment rosta and maybe, if its just for the fans they will be in the daytime and evening entertainment will be as normal. So the at sea daytime entertainment will be buffed if your a fan or just slightly interested.

• 1 month later...

There are only two Osmond Brothers on this cruise and a staunch fan base. It has been priced higher for fans as there are fan only events. These are not open to other cruisers. It is presently selling at £749 for a balcony, without Osmond bits.

There is no Roll Call either, I can only assume it's not a top seller??

There are only two Osmond Brothers on this cruise and a staunch fan base. It has been priced higher for fans as there are fan only events. These are not open to other cruisers. It is presently selling at £749 for a balcony, without Osmond bits.

There is no Roll Call either, I can only assume it's not a top seller??

Hi which cruise is this? where is it going?

Hi which cruise is this? where is it going?

It’s 1 September on Azura and going to Hamburg, Amsterdam and Le Harve.

P&O don’t mention the Osmonds element of the voyage but if you are interested in that some of the well know TAs were offering (well at least they were when I looked at this voyage initially) a bolt in at extra cost for the tickets to these events.

The price has gone up a bit so it is obviously selling better now but still lots of space.

Just google Osmonds Fan Club cruise and you will see it.

Edited by Eglesbrech
to add last line