Magic problems

What would the passengers know about the mechanical workings of the ship? Azipod issues have been occurring on various Carnival ships for a long, long time (the Destiny and Triumph??). Repairs are made, the ships get going again until the next time they break down. I'm not sure if this situation is unique to Carnival, but they certainly do have their fair share. Isn't there another thread on this board right now about the Paradise?

What would the passengers know about the mechanical workings of the ship? Azipod issues have been occurring on various Carnival ships for a long, long time (the Destiny and Triumph??). Repairs are made, the ships get going again until the next time they break down. I'm not sure if this situation is unique to Carnival, but they certainly do have their fair share. Isn't there another thread on this board right now about the Paradise?

Magic does not have azipods, i've recently learned.

The capt or other officers might mention it so passengers have some idea what is going on.

So the ship had propulsion problems at the end of the last cruise and came into port much later than planned.

We did depart on June 16th but one port got cut out to travel less distance.

We are moving at a very slow speed and my best guess is we are running with back up propulsion system as they try to repair the main system.

Whether they fix it before next weeks cruise is a mystery

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the ship had propulsion problems at the end of the last cruise and came into port much later than planned.

We did depart on June 16th but one port got cut out to travel less distance.

We are moving at a very slow speed and my best guess is we are running with back up propulsion system as they try to repair the main system.

Whether they fix it before next weeks cruise is a mystery

Please update if you hear anything. Thank you.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Magic does not have azipods, i've recently learned.

My mistake - I incorrectly assumed "azipod" was a ubiquitous term for propulsion. Replace azipod with propulsion system in my post and my comments still stand. Point being, even if there is some information given to the passengers on the current sailing, it's meaningless for what may happen in the future. I'm sure every single sailing where it's occurred Carnival has implied the issue was "fixed". And in their defense, mechanical systems break down all the time - there simply is no 100% guarantee.

Just so you know, there is no "backup propulsion system". Each propeller has an electric motor that drives it, and each of these motors receives power into two sets of windings, each winding providing half the power of the motor. The typical failure with these types of propulsion systems is that either the motor winding itself has failed (drydock repair required), or some component of the control system for one winding has failed (can be repaired underway). Either way, that one propeller will only have half power, and to reduce vibration the fully functional propeller will be reduced in power as well, limiting top speed. My guess why the ship is going "very slow" is that now that they have cancelled a port, there is no hurry to get to the remaining ports, so they are slow steaming.

Just so you know, there is no "backup propulsion system". Each propeller has an electric motor that drives it, and each of these motors receives power into two sets of windings, each winding providing half the power of the motor. The typical failure with these types of propulsion systems is that either the motor winding itself has failed (drydock repair required), or some component of the control system for one winding has failed (can be repaired underway). Either way, that one propeller will only have half power, and to reduce vibration the fully functional propeller will be reduced in power as well, limiting top speed. My guess why the ship is going "very slow" is that now that they have cancelled a port, there is no hurry to get to the remaining ports, so they are slow steaming.

I learned something new today Thank you!

This also explains the one cruise I was on that was having mechanical issues the vibration was really bad. Cabin on Deck 2 vibration so bad a glass vibrated off the the shelf and broke. Sleeping was comical, bed vibrated like a cheap hotel bed that you feed quarters in.

Saw a post on Facebook from someone on board that says they are moving right along, sounds like the problem has been fixed.

The ship tracker I use shows that Magic is moving along at 18 knots. If that is correct that certainly isn't moving along "very slowly".

From what I read (on the internet) is that it wasn’t able to hit top speed. No idea if that has been fixed. And no idea how often a ship has to hit top speed. As for next week, as long as I’m on the ship for the week, don’t really care what we do. I was on the magic last September for the hurricane cruise and that was all messed up. Fun though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whatever the mechanical explanation is, the general consensus on the ship is that due to a port being cancelled and that the ship is moving at very slow speed during the day yesterday, that there was something definitely wrong with the ship that they were trying to repair as the ship was underway (no way we were going 18 knots for most of yesterday).

Whether it’s repaired now we may never know

Whatever the mechanical explanation is, the general consensus on the ship is that due to a port being cancelled and that the ship is moving at very slow speed during the day yesterday, that there was something definitely wrong with the ship that they were trying to repair as the ship was underway (no way we were going 18 knots for most of yesterday).

Whether it’s repaired now we may never know

Do not know the next time they will have to do the St Thomas itinerary but that will tell the tale.

I was on the Magic last week. Arrival was delayed due to a medical evacuation on Thursday that caused about a 5-6 hour delay and they were never able to make up the time due to engine issues. We didn't get to leave the ship until close to 3:00 Saturday. The port was a mess, but we made it out with minimal delays.

Guess you will know for sure when you arrive at terminal. Hope it has been fixed.

BTW love your cc name

CC username... Patriots was my college's mascot. I graduated in 07 :).

If I hear of any changes for my itinerary before the cruise, I will post here- but I won't have internet after we leave (I like to disconnect). I'm glad to hear that this sailing seems to be going well so far, hopefully that's a sign of good things to come!

I was on the Magic last week. Arrival was delayed due to a medical evacuation on Thursday that caused about a 5-6 hour delay and they were never able to make up the time due to engine issues. We didn't get to leave the ship until close to 3:00 Saturday. The port was a mess, but we made it out with minimal delays.
just curious - with the delay off the ship did you have an issue with flying out of Orlando on Saturday if you were planning on leaving that day? I am on the cruise in August and if there are delays with the ship how accommodating were the airlines for missing your flight - I do have travelers insurance for this reason alone. any information you can pass along would be great!!! thank you