Nearly missed it

silversurf

Checking my emails today I noticed that the balance of our cruise should have been paid 6 days ago. Panic!

Luckily TA was very helpful and hadn’t cancelled it.

All paid now, so OK.

We put the date in every diary we have and on calendars as we both have hopeless memories or that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Checking my emails today I noticed that the balance of our cruise should have been paid 6 days ago. Panic!

Luckily TA was very helpful and hadn’t cancelled it.

All paid now, so OK.

TA's usually require payment a good few weeks before the P&O due date. I suspect that they would have chased you when the 'real' due date was drawing near. Like Dai I create diary prompts.

It's handy now that you can pay the balance on credit card, rather than just debit card, without incurring fees, as it means that you don't need to draw down the payment until much later and you get loyalty points as well. We got an extra £800 off our upcoming 7 nights Fjords cruise thanks to Tesco points

How do Tesco points add up to £700, I am interested as I have a Tesco card.....Surely you don't have to spend £70000 to get £700 pounds worth of points.

Yes, we also have a Tesco Card and were thinking the same.:confused:

How do Tesco points add up to £700, I am interested as I have a Tesco card.....Surely you don't have to spend £70000 to get £700 pounds worth of points.

You get three times the value of your Tesco vouchers as P&O tokens, so £270 of Tesco vouchers got us £810 off a cruise (the maximum you can get). I can’t recall what value you have to spend to get that number of points. I know that it’s more now than it used to be. I use my Tesco credit card for most things (food, fuel, holidays, purchases etc) so rack up more than the maximum allowed for the P&O offer every couple of years. To be clear, I have never paid a penny in interest as I pay the balance off in full each month, so it’s a straight win. It used to be much better as you racked up points quicker and there was no limit on how much you could redeem. We almost had a free cruise once!

You get three times the value of your Tesco vouchers as P&O tokens, so £270 of Tesco vouchers got us £810 off a cruise (the maximum you can get). I can’t recall what value you have to spend to get that number of points. I know that it’s more now than it used to be. I use my Tesco credit card for most things (food, fuel, holidays, purchases etc) so rack up more than the maximum allowed for the P&O offer every couple of years. To be clear, I have never paid a penny in interest as I pay the balance off in full each month, so it’s a straight win. It used to be much better as you racked up points quicker and there was no limit on how much you could redeem. We almost had a free cruise once!

Thanks Selbourne that's very useful information.

As said we have a Tesco card and we rack up over £120.00 per year in vouchers.

So we will definitely look into transferring them into P&O tokens next time.

BTW, like you we always pay the balance off in full every month, so no interest charges.;)

I know it's off topic but could you please just explain the process for the exchange to P&O tokens.

Edit: just found the procedure on line.

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/p-o-cruises/UK-004613.prd

Edited by P-L-B

Thanks Selbourne that's very useful information.

As said we have a Tesco card and we rack up over £120.00 per year in vouchers.

So we will definitely look into transferring them into P&O tokens next time.

BTW, like you we always pay the balance off in full every month, so no interest charges.;)

I know it's off topic but could you please just explain the process for the exchange to P&O tokens.

Here you go...

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/p-o-cruises/UK-004613.prd

You get 1 point = 1p for every£1 spent now, was more but that changed some years ago, I think. My math was way out earlier....To get £270 worth you need to spend £270000!!!

Correct, but keep in mind that the £270 of vouchers gets you £810 discount, so that works out at the equivalent of 3% discount off ALL your credit card usage. You can also use points accumulated over 3 years (so £9k a year, or £750 a month, would get you the maximum permitted discount). We manage to achieve the maximum discount every 18 months to 2 years and given the fact that we pay for most things on credit card and then pay off in full every month (so no interest charges) getting 3% off everything we buy (food, petrol, holidays, meals out, purchases, gifts, car costs etc etc) is welcome!

You get 1 point = 1p for every£1 spent now, was more but that changed some years ago, I think. My math was way out earlier....To get £270 worth you need to spend £270000!!!

I had read your post as £27,000 but have just realised that you said £270,000. That’s NOT correct! £270 is 1% of £27,000 NOT £270,000. I can see why you were surprised!

Yes, I struggle these day's to get math written down correct. Looking at spend over a period, it make's me think it could be worth opening a Tesco Bank Account then getting a Credit card. Only ever had one once but cut it up. I come from an time when you only bought what you could afford. Had a mortgage of course and occasional bank loan for car purchase but that's about it. I have 1 cruise a year and a couple of beach hols, next 2 cruises are with Marella, but I could well be back with Pando in a couple of years. Are there any other Tesco partner's which give more for your points than the face value?

Yes, I struggle these day's to get math written down correct. Looking at spend over a period, it make's me think it could be worth opening a Tesco Bank Account then getting a Credit card. Only ever had one once but cut it up. I come from an time when you only bought what you could afford. Had a mortgage of course and occasional bank loan for car purchase but that's about it. I have 1 cruise a year and a couple of beach hols, next 2 cruises are with Marella, but I could well be back with Pando in a couple of years. Are there any other Tesco partner's which give more for your points than the face value?

You don’t need to open a Tesco bank account. You just need a Tesco credit card which doubles as a loyalty card. Like you, I never incur interest and only buy what I can afford, but by paying with card and paying off in full each month it soon racks up. There are loads of companies that provide discounts worth around 3 times the value of your points. Just Google Tesco Boost and you can browse them.

Thanks, I have got a normal Tesco loyalty club card, didn't know you needn't have a bank account with them.

You don’t need a bank account, but without a credit card you are unlikely to build up many points. A loyalty card will only build up points in Tesco or partner companies, whereas a credit card will build up points everywhere you use it.

You don’t need a bank account, but without a credit card you are unlikely to build up many points. A loyalty card will only build up points in Tesco or partner companies, whereas a credit card will build up points everywhere you use it.

I agree with Selbourne, we use our Tesco Credit Card the same way and to our advantage with no interest payments. We use it for most if not all of our purchases.;)

Don't forget, as the saying goes ' Every Little Helps':D

We received £1150 off next years cruise via Tesco points. Had to do two separate bookings for our two cabins. you can only book select price not saver. Took two years to save the points. Was helped with some the bonus point offers but those have dried up since the good old days where Tesco were almost giving away money with the frozen meat points where the extra points were worth twice the value of what you bought and we bought dozens of packets.

Also the Johnston baby powder offer where again you made a profit by buying the powder compared to the cost of it. We bought literally hundreds of bottles. Sold them on to a market trader.

Just looked at Tesco Boost....looks like you get 1 point for every £8 spend ....Am I reading that correctly?

They recently slashed the points accumulation and I’ve just checked and, yes, it’s now 1 point per £8 outside Tesco and 1 point per £4 within Tesco. So, unless you do your weekly food shop and perhaps fuel with Tesco, it is sadly now going to be a monumental task to build up the maximum £270 of points required to get £810 discount.

We have enjoyed many thousands of pounds off P&O Cruises over the years, so I guess it was good whilst it lasted!

Worth keeping in mind though that in the ‘good old days’ when points built up quicker and the discount was uncapped , you could not combine the discount with any other offer. Now, with the lower limit, you can combine them and get all offers as well.

You can only use them on Select fares, but we wouldn’t book any other type as we want to select our cabin, not have what’s left!