Tipping in Michael's Club

ggo85

For those who choose to tip, do you typically tip the bar servers as you go (by drink/by evening) or at the end of the cruise?

Ditto for the concierge, tip at the time he/she does something special or at the end?

Finally, if you visit MC but don't ask the concierge to do anything for you, do you tip the concierge essentially for being available and providing a general level of service? NOT trying to get into a debate regarding whether one should or should not tip under these circumstances -- just trying to ascertain what most people actually do.

We tip the bar servers at the end. We spend quite a bit of time in MC so they get something in the upper range of our tipping budget.

MC and suite manager we have not tipped. We haven’t really used the MC for anything but do enjoy their company while in MC.

We always tip the MC concierge and staff at the end of the cruise. No right or wrong answer. We tend to use the MC concierge as they can do anything that Guest Services or Shore Excursions can do, without waiting in line, except for cash transactions.

We did a 10 night ABC island cruise on Equinox. Weather was fabulous in May, pool bar was generally 3 deep but if you held a $1 bill up you got served in seconds.

Non tippers had to wait a while.

Sent from my CUBOT MAGIC using Forums mobile app

This does not relate to the OP's question.

I tip in MC at the end of the cruise. If I know that the MCC has a favorite snack or candy I try to buy it when in port. Some really enjoy Cadbury when its from UK.

We bring nice cards and specifically outline what they did to make our cruise wonderful. We add the gratuity and give it to them the last night. We also complete comment cards with similar comments mid-way through the cruise and deliver them to Guest Services.

We bring nice cards and specifically outline what they did to make our cruise wonderful. We add the gratuity and give it to them the last night. We also complete comment cards with similar comments mid-way through the cruise and deliver them to Guest Services.

The comment cards handed to guest services are really the best thing you can do. They get immediate perks (they have told me) like a phone call home, extra hours off, more internet time, etc.

We have tipped the MC concierge at the end if he/she did something special for us. Once we asked for nothing and rarely even went in. We tip the bartender a few $$ every other day or so, but not every drink. I don't think there's a right or wrong. If the bartender goes out of his/her way to provide a special drink or wine from somewhere on the ship, then yes, we do tip then. We don't love the atmosphere as it's dark - wish MC was somewhere up on deck with a view like the Sky Lounge. We tend to go up there at sunset and THEN head to MC when it's already dark. It will be interesting to see if the Edge ships have MC with a view.

The comment cards handed to guest services are really the best thing you can do. They get immediate perks (they have told me) like a phone call home, extra hours off, more internet time, etc.

We have tipped the MC concierge at the end if he/she did something special for us. Once we asked for nothing and rarely even went in. We tip the bartender a few $$ every other day or so, but not every drink. I don't think there's a right or wrong. If the bartender goes out of his/her way to provide a special drink or wine from somewhere on the ship, then yes, we do tip then. We don't love the atmosphere as it's dark - wish MC was somewhere up on deck with a view like the Sky Lounge. We tend to go up there at sunset and THEN head to MC when it's already dark. It will be interesting to see if the Edge ships have MC with a view.

On the Edge it will be called the Retreat Lounge - hopefully will have nice port and starboard views and it will have an outside seating area (see Deck 15 aft of the suites). :)

enhance

Edited by vtcruising

I've always wondered if the MCC should be tipped as well. I asked the question a few years ago to a seasoned Suite cruiser when they started MCC a few years ago. He said he did not asserting that they, like officers, guest relations, shore excursions were not a traditional tipping position and assumed their compensation wasn't dependent on tips.

I'm still of the opinion that there is no right or wrong on this subject and know it's a very personal decision.

While not asking about absolute amounts for those tipping the MCC can you give me a idea? Like the "a token amount", "a few dollars per request", "same as I tip the bartender", "same as the extra tip I give my stateroom attendant or butler". As I said before I'm in MC a fair amount and enjoy the extra entertainment etc they provide. I may want to add the position to the list of extra tips I give.

We tip at the end of cruise with the amount depending on service which has always been personable and good to excellent in MC. We tip the MC concierge depending on how personable and available they have been whether or not we have utilized their services.

On cruises, tipping is traditionally done on the last evening. If we are only getting 1 drink from a bar, we will tip then. If we are there for a while, we tip a bit at the end. If we've visited one bar/bartender SPECIFICALLY, we tip on the last evening.

In land-based bars where I have to go to the bar to get my drink, I tip $1 per order.....not "per drink", unless it's more than 2 drinks. Opening a beer or pouring a simple drink or glass of wine really doesn't warrant more, IMO. If we have table service, we tip more...worth it not to have to go to the bar all the time!

However you tip at home, in bars, do so on the ship.

I've always wondered if the MCC should be tipped as well. I asked the question a few years ago to a seasoned Suite cruiser when they started MCC a few years ago. He said he did not asserting that they, like officers, guest relations, shore excursions were not a traditional tipping position and assumed their compensation wasn't dependent on tips.

I'm still of the opinion that there is no right or wrong on this subject and know it's a very personal decision.

While not asking about absolute amounts for those tipping the MCC can you give me a idea? Like the "a token amount", "a few dollars per request", "same as I tip the bartender", "same as the extra tip I give my stateroom attendant or butler". As I said before I'm in MC a fair amount and enjoy the extra entertainment etc they provide. I may want to add the position to the list of extra tips I give.

When I'm traveling solo on a 7nighter and haven't asked for anything too difficult during the week $50 to the MCC inside envelope with a t-you note.

Because of this board I tipped last day , problem was did not see some of servers that had served us during cruise, staff does not share tips , so will tip when we get drinks next cruise, staff on summit was excellent

We were on a 15 night trans Atlantic and spent a fair amount of time in Michaels Club (no beverage package). Our MC, Manuella on the Eclipse was outstanding. I had broken a necklace and asked if she knew anyone who could fix it for me. She did it herself! We had a number of servers so at the end of the cruise we gave 2 envelopes to Manuella, one for her and the other labeled Staff. We felt she would know how to divide the tips.

We were on a 15 night trans Atlantic and spent a fair amount of time in Michaels Club (no beverage package). Our MC, Manuella on the Eclipse was outstanding. I had broken a necklace and asked if she knew anyone who could fix it for me. She did it herself! We had a number of servers so at the end of the cruise we gave 2 envelopes to Manuella, one for her and the other labeled Staff. We felt she would know how to divide the tips.

Manuela is absolutely the best MC concierge we have encountered!

Suite managers and Michaels Club Concierges pool their tips. So at the end of the cruise we always tip about $75 per person for their helpfulness and kindness. They help us with reservations, easy on and off the ship as well as any special requests. I have found them to be some of the nicest and most helpful people.....Bogdan and Sylvia have been wonderful, I only wish I could remember all the other names but we are sailing 75 days this year and it all blurs ;)

Safe Sails to all!