Sky Lounge closed full (sea) day for Art Auction

Klaus234

We just returned from a 12 day cruise on Celebrity Eclipse with a sea day (on the way from Guernsey to Amsterdam) at the end of the cruise. Most of that day the weather was cold (15°C/60°F), no sunshine and even with a pullover and a warm jacket you couldn’t sit comfortable on the open decks.

That morning when we looked for a nice indoor place to spend some time of the day we found the Sky Lounge (forward panorama lounge on Deck 14) closed for a private event until 16:00 / 4 pm! At 10:00 am they opened the Sky Lounge and the “private event” turned out to be a huge Art Auction – the entire Lounge was equipped with easels and framed paintings. No idea who was invited, we saw a few people inside, but the access was blocked by a string and a huge sign saying “Private Function”.

It’s obvious that these Art Auctions must generate a tremendous profit not only for the auctioneers (Park West) but also for the cruise lines as you can find them on more or less any cruise ship, but I think it‘s unacceptable that Celebrity blocks one of the largest and most attractive lounges on the ship for such a private event, especially on a sea day and during the entire day! We saw a lot of people coming up after lunch who looked for a seat in the Sky Lounge and many were upset to see the lounge closed for such a kind of “event”.

We also complained immediately at Guest Relations, they showed understanding but told us this was booked long time ago by Celebrity’s Headquarters and they can’t do anything about it. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t move this Art Auction to any other location on the ship which is unused during the day anyhow (e.g. the Tuscan Grille) especially when they realize that the weather will be so cold that nobody can use the outdoor areas and all indoor space is required to accommodate the guests?!

Sky_Lounge.thumb.jpg.5cb147b0b83172dc82201846cfd0af27.jpg

Sign.thumb.jpg.899482dbf10cb813f4d65170b9583b08.jpg

Is be annoyed as well. But we also kinda resent how often the Sky Lounge is closed for Elite, etc events.

We've been on four X cruises with a total of roughly 40+ days. We're not exactly X neophytes. But we book inside or OV cabins which means a very slow ride to status levels. And I understand that.

But it's clear that the direction that X is going is further class differentiation. Additional restricted restaurants, clubs, and sun lounge areas. Saving seats in the showroom. Etc. That doesn't leave a good feeling for us peons in the cheap seats.

The answer is $$$$$. Park West pays for it, plus X gets a percentage of sales. Guests using the lounge to read or relax aren't revenue producers.

You are correct! Celebrity and Park West have some special cruises that cater to the high art spenders. This appears to be one of those special cruises.

Interestingly, on our last Med cruise they also gave over the entire sky lounge to Park West on the last sea day back to Southampton- the day when it statistically will be the coldest and people are indoors!

We were on the Silhouette last fall in the Baltics and I had a very serious discussion with the customer service people about the takeover of the Sky Lounge by various groups. When the art auction was being set up, we found some seating forward and made ourselves comfortable. I got the impression that the auction people would have left us alone but once the auction began, the sound system was so loud that we decided to leave. What I really resent is the takeover at cocktail time for an Elite event - every afternoon!!! I got into a heated discussion with another passenger who decided to stand over our table in an effort to intimidate us into leaving. When my husband got up to use the restroom, she promptly took his seat. I was initially polite but this woman was quite boorish and was really trying to intimidate me. We eventually went down to customer service but they really can't do anything about a passenger's behavior. Bottom line is the Sky Lounge is one of the most desirable spots on any of the Celebrity ships and, as such, should be open for everyone at all times.

Bottom line is the Sky Lounge is one of the most desirable spots on any of the Celebrity ships and, as such, should be open for everyone at all times.

If your position would be a policy then: Where would they hold the Elite Hour? The Captain's Club Party? The Senior Officers Party? The Cruise Critic Party for large groups? Activities such as Trivia and Dance Classes?

I love the views from the Sky Lounge and often go there to relax, Usually I see only a handful of people and Celebrity won't give up revenue for a few people who might complain. Unfortunately there are very few places available to handle large gatherings. Now when possible they sould have a section open for the general passenger. That was done on my Trans Canal cruise. We could stay in the Lounge, be exposed to all the noise.

We were on the same cruise as the OP and there was a group of some kind onboard as most days Qzine had a Private Function sign at breakfast although I rarely saw more than a dozen people there.

That and one other afternoon Quasar was being used for a private function.

If your position would be a policy then: Where would they hold the Elite Hour? The Captain's Club Party? The Senior Officers Party? The Cruise Critic Party for large groups? Activities such as Trivia and Dance Classes?

You've made a fair point.

I'll counter it with my own points. Trivia and Dance Classes are often held in other venues - AND are open to everyone on the ship.

The Elite Hour is actually TWO hours, every single day. And it not open to everyone on the ship. The last cruise we took evidently had so many Elites that they just gave out drink coupons that they could use at any bar, which left the Sky Lounge open for everyone.

Captains Club Party is open to everyone that has sailed at least once with X - that's close to open for everyone, and truthfully, SHOULD be open to everyone.

Cruise Critic party - is in the morning, they don't always use the Sky Lounge, and I don't think they actually close the room to other people.

Senior Officers Party - I'm not familiar with it. I'm guessing it's Elite or something higher only, and therefore not open for everyone.

But the following ARE restricted venues, everyday and all day: Michael's Club, Blu, Luminae, and now we've got The Retreat with it's own pool, sundecks, etc.

We like Celebrity - it's our first choice. But sometimes the existence of these restricted areas makes us a little less appreciated as a customer. And eventually, that will probably lead us to other cruise lines that don't have those areas (or at least, not as many of them).

You've made a fair point.

I'll counter it with my own points. Trivia and Dance Classes are often held in other venues - AND are open to everyone on the ship.

The Elite Hour is actually TWO hours, every single day. And it not open to everyone on the ship. The last cruise we took evidently had so many Elites that they just gave out drink coupons that they could use at any bar, which left the Sky Lounge open for everyone.

Captains Club Party is open to everyone that has sailed at least once with X - that's close to open for everyone, and truthfully, SHOULD be open to everyone.

Cruise Critic party - is in the morning, they don't always use the Sky Lounge, and I don't think they actually close the room to other people.

Senior Officers Party - I'm not familiar with it. I'm guessing it's Elite or something higher only, and therefore not open for everyone.

But the following ARE restricted venues, everyday and all day: Michael's Club, Blu, Luminae, and now we've got The Retreat with it's own pool, sundecks, etc.

We like Celebrity - it's our first choice. But sometimes the existence of these restricted areas makes us a little less appreciated as a customer. And eventually, that will probably lead us to other cruise lines that don't have those areas (or at least, not as many of them).

Yes, the Class system is alive on Celebrity as it is in hotels, airlines and many other businesses. This has been discussed many times on these boards. I've been arguing for several years that Celebrity is really only interested in attracting and keeping the higher margin cruiser. Time has proven me correct, at least in this prediction.

More than one Event Coordinator has complained about the lack of public space to hold events. Just take a TransAtlantic cruise and you'll experience how tight it is. The Sky Lounge is open for Elites and higher even when they use vouchers and Dance classes, trivia and games are frequently given the Sky Lounge as other venues are packed with other activities.

Yes, the Class system is alive on Celebrity as it is in hotels, airlines and many other businesses. This has been discussed many times on these boards. I've been arguing for several years that Celebrity is really only interested in attracting and keeping the higher margin cruiser. Time has proven me correct, at least in this prediction.

More than one Event Coordinator has complained about the lack of public space to hold events. Just take a TransAtlantic cruise and you'll experience how tight it is. The Sky Lounge is open for Elites and higher even when they use vouchers and Dance classes, trivia and games are frequently given the Sky Lounge as other venues are packed with other activities.

I really expected to be blasted for my thoughts, and I thank you for these comments. I agree with you about their emphasis being on the higher margin cruiser (obvious from the cabins that are being offered on the Edge ships and what appears to be happening to the other ships as they go through the 'edification'. More suites, more higher end expensive OV and less insides). And that's okay - it's a business choice and they need to do what they think will work for them.

That said, it appears that their prices will match others like Viking, Oceana and Crystal - but I can't see that the overall quality and atmosphere will match those higher end products.

In just a few years, there will be a boat load of lower end cruise lines, a few trying to be up scale, those that truly are up scale, and high end luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea). Makes me wonder where the middle ground folks like us are gonna go. Back to HAL or Princess, maybe????

In my experience HAL is much the same. Although last time I sailed with them there were only 2 classes, the Neptune Suites and above and then everyone else.

But the art auctions, the closing of areas for groups were much the same. Inconvenient if you're looking for a nice quiet spot on a sea day.

They gotta make the money so the average passenger just has to take what's left.

Still, I have never been on a cruise where I would have rather NOT cruised and just stay at home because of these kinds of issues.

In my experience HAL is much the same. Although last time I sailed with them there were only 2 classes, the Neptune Suites and above and then everyone else.

But the art auctions, the closing of areas for groups were much the same. Inconvenient if you're looking for a nice quiet spot on a sea day.

They gotta make the money so the average passenger just has to take what's left.

Still, I have never been on a cruise where I would have rather NOT cruised and just stay at home because of these kinds of issues.

It's been years, but I don't remember HAL having restricted dining rooms or pools or sun lounge areas for their Neptune Suites. I also don't remember entire rooms set aside for frequent flyers, like X does with Michael's.

Is be annoyed as well. But we also kinda resent how often the Sky Lounge is closed for Elite, etc events.

We've been on four X cruises with a total of roughly 40+ days. We're not exactly X neophytes. But we book inside or OV cabins which means a very slow ride to status levels. And I understand that.

But it's clear that the direction that X is going is further class differentiation. Additional restricted restaurants, clubs, and sun lounge areas. Saving seats in the showroom. Etc. That doesn't leave a good feeling for us peons in the cheap seats.

It seems like the last 2 years Celebrity has been only closing off part of the Sky Lounge of the evening Elite Events.

I have seen talk on the Edge area here that the Edge seems to not have a Sky Lounge. The question is when they Edgeized the other ships will they use the Sky and Reflections Lounge as part of the Retreat for Suite guests.

It seems like the last 2 years Celebrity has been only closing off part of the Sky Lounge of the evening Elite Events.

I have seen talk on the Edge area here that the Edge seems to not have a Sky Lounge. The question is when they Edgeized the other ships will they use the Sky and Reflections Lounge as part of the Retreat for Suite guests.

That's a good question and quite likely in my opinion.

It's been years, but I don't remember HAL having restricted dining rooms or pools or sun lounge areas for their Neptune Suites. I also don't remember entire rooms set aside for frequent flyers, like X does with Michael's.
The one time I sailed on HAL I was in a Neptune suite and we did have a fairly large private lounge, had breakfast every morning in a private dining room and was invited to a number of events in public spaces made private with barriers.

Sent from while daydreaming I am in Luminae

For the record, the Elite cocktail hours are not every single night. But admittedly they are most nights.

We were very annoyed on our recent Alaska sailing when they used the Sky Lounge (or Cosmos I think it was called on Millennium) for various events continuously, even when we were sailing the Inside Passage. Granted, these were in fact open events for people. But for those who do not have the pleasure of balconies (or just want a more wide open view of the AWESOME sights in Alaska) it is VERY frustrating to be fighting for seating with trivia or bingo players. And that doesn't account for the annoying noise that creates when you are trying to immerse yourself in the exceptional beauty that is Alaska.

To close that entire venue off all day on a sea day (the last no less) for a revenue producing event not open to all is totally unacceptable IMHO - even more so when the weather outside is not conducive to enjoyment. I also am getting more and more of a bad taste in my mouth with Celebrity catering to the "1%" in ways that interfere with the enjoyment of the cruise for the 99%. I don't mind extra perks, events, etc. for people who pay more. Just stop taking away venues from the rest of us peons. I have just about had it with their continued movement in this direction.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned that Celebrity and Park West have cruises for the big spenders on art. Are you kidding me? I have sailed X and RC 6 times now and have never seem a piece of that crap I would spend $5.00 on. I do enjoy going by and asking questions of the art dealers and enjoy the look of excitement on their faces when they think they have found another gullible soul.

We recently had a couple on our roll call who considered the art auctions one of their favorite ship board activities. They have acquired a large collection from these auctions and I believe they said they receive onboard perks based on what they spend.

Not our cup of tea, but many folks must be buying all that stuff or it would be gone from the ships...

Yes, you can. There is no cost to attend, nor obligation to buy.

There is set up time before the showing where the Sky Lounge is completely closed off and not accessible to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

For the record, the Elite cocktail hours are not every single night. But admittedly they are most nights.

We were very annoyed on our recent Alaska sailing when they used the Sky Lounge (or Cosmos I think it was called on Millennium) for various events continuously, even when we were sailing the Inside Passage. Granted, these were in fact open events for people. But for those who do not have the pleasure of balconies (or just want a more wide open view of the AWESOME sights in Alaska) it is VERY frustrating to be fighting for seating with trivia or bingo players. And that doesn't account for the annoying noise that creates when you are trying to immerse yourself in the exceptional beauty that is Alaska.

To close that entire venue off all day on a sea day (the last no less) for a revenue producing event not open to all is totally unacceptable IMHO - even more so when the weather outside is not conducive to enjoyment. I also am getting more and more of a bad taste in my mouth with Celebrity catering to the "1%" in ways that interfere with the enjoyment of the cruise for the 99%. I don't mind extra perks, events, etc. for people who pay more. Just stop taking away venues from the rest of us peons. I have just about had it with their continued movement in this direction.

(y)(y)(y)(y)