Hesitant to cruise again

SJS

I just got back from a cruise on Carnival Magic and let's just say it doesn't compare to my many cruises on Royal. The ship was delayed due to a medical emergency and didn't get back to port Canaveral until 12:30pm. First time ever I missed my flight on Spirit (lesson learned, never fly them after a cruise!). They had no more flights that day so I had to purchase a new ticket on American. Delay after delay followed. I'm scheduled on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise next year and seriously thinking of cancelling. I can't imagine dealing with those issues in another country! Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Why is that the cruise lines fault? The issues you had while they started with the delay sound to me like it was more with the airlines. The same thing could have happened if a connecting flight was delayed. Traveling to and from the destination is always stressful for us

Ship happens. You either plan for it or don't.

A lot of people will add a day to the start of a cruise, yet neglect the end. With the Med, depending on what port you're ending at, fog can be an issue that causes delays.

You can add a day, which wouldn't seem like a bad idea when you're paying a fortune to fly out that far so might as well get your monies worth out of the flight. Or you can get travel insurance so any re-booking isn't out of pocket. Or just roll with it, you've been on "many cruises" and it sounds like this is the only time there has been a problem.

Spirit is a dumpster airline and you very much get what you pay for with them. Same goes for the other bottom tier "airlines" like Frontier and Allegiant. Everything's fine when everything's working, but the second something doesn't ... well, you found out.

I just got back from a cruise on Carnival Magic and let's just say it doesn't compare to my many cruises on Royal. The ship was delayed due to a medical emergency and didn't get back to port Canaveral until 12:30pm. First time ever I missed my flight on Spirit (lesson learned, never fly them after a cruise!). They had no more flights that day so I had to purchase a new ticket on American. Delay after delay followed. I'm scheduled on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise next year and seriously thinking of cancelling. I can't imagine dealing with those issues in another country! Thoughts?

Although I am a more frequent land traveler vs cruiser, my cruises are almost always European cruises and, yes, delays can occur. For this reason, I always arrive at least a day prior to the cruise and depart a day after the cruise ends. That way, I have never had problems with delays and have the added benefit of exploring my embarkation and disembarkation cities in a little more depth. The Med is wonderful - don't know which ports you will be visiting but there is much to see & do. Our last Med cruise began in Venice and ended in Barcelona. We arrived Venice 5 days before the cruise & departed BCN 3 days after the cruise ended (my niece had never been to this part of the world before so gave her a little extra time to soak in the local food, culture & sights).

We have a Danube river cruise booked in October - we are arriving Munich 5 days before the cruise and staying in Budapest for 5 days after the cruise.

My advice would be - go & enjoy!

Thought number 1 would be, don't fly Spirit! As you experienced, if anything goes wrong and you miss your flight, you are SOL. No one can say that there isn't going to be a delay on your next cruise, but you can help yourself by flying home the next day or at least much later in the day. I would take a deep breath and see how you feel closer to final payment. Don't cancel too early because if you change your mind, the fare will be much higher even if you can get a cabin.

I'm confused. Your Carnival cruise doesn't compare to your cruises on Royal because there was a medical emergency? Ok then.

Good advice! The ports are Barcelona, Cannes, Florence, Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Valletta, Malta.

Great ports! Your cruise includes some of my favorite ports.

Mykonos & Santorini are easily done on your own.

Florence is about 1.5 hours from Livorno (if that is where your ship will actually be docking). Gorgeous city - don't miss the Duomo & Baptistry (book Uffizi & Academia tickets online to avoid the queues)

Rome is about an hour from Civitavecchia - we have taken the train into Rome - easy & economical. There is so much to see in Rome that a short port visit will barely scratch the surface.

Athens is also great - I love the National Archaeology Museum but there is also the Acropolis Museum and, of course, the Acropolis.

Barcelona - another fabulous city - don't miss Sagrada Familia - reserve online as the queues are outrageous.

I wasn't going to go into detail comparing Carnival to Royal. It wasn't my first cruise on Carnival. My opinion and it's just my opinion that food, entertainment and other activities are much better on Royal.

Good advice! The ports are Barcelona, Cannes, Florence, Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Valletta, Malta.

Great ports , would not want to cancel , I would not cruise carnival but medical emergency could happen on any line. Might want to add extra days before and after the cruise.

Ship happens. You either plan for it or don't.

A lot of people will add a day to the start of a cruise, yet neglect the end. With the Med, depending on what port you're ending at, fog can be an issue that causes delays.

You can add a day, which wouldn't seem like a bad idea when you're paying a fortune to fly out that far so might as well get your monies worth out of the flight. Or you can get travel insurance so any re-booking isn't out of pocket. Or just roll with it, you've been on "many cruises" and it sounds like this is the only time there has been a problem.

Spirit is a dumpster airline and you very much get what you pay for with them. Same goes for the other bottom tier "airlines" like Frontier and Allegiant. Everything's fine when everything's working, but the second something doesn't ... well, you found out.

Agree. I Fly Allegiant about dozen times a yr, but I'm Retired, flight is direct to small airport and if flight is canceled I can wait. Only pay about $60-120 a flight. Now taking cruises usually fly Delta half dozen times a yr. Direct where I'm going ports/home and multiple flights there every day....

I wasn't going to go into detail comparing Carnival to Royal. It wasn't my first cruise on Carnival. My opinion and it's just my opinion that food, entertainment and other activities are much better on Royal.

So, its good you are going back to Royal! Sounds like an amazing trip!

Yes, I did have trip insurance and filed a claim.

(y) Sounds like you were planned ahead for any unforeseen circumstance. So that is good.

Spirit is not known for it's "wonderfulness", as it sounds like you've learned.

;)

As far as cruising and missing flights go, even if we think we could make a noon or so flight, we usually bite the bullet and take a mid afternoon flight. While cooling our heels in an airport isn't our idea of a good time, we at least know we're there in plenty of time for our flight. A couple of times we've opted to spend the night in a hotel and fly out the next day.

I'd say not to hesitate to cruise again with a flight after. Would just make sure to consider what you're willing to endure if a delayed arrival into port occurs again.