How has service been using the Premier Bev Package?

happy cruzer

Hi,

Wondering how the service has been for cruisers that have the Premier Bev Package.

We would be using it for glasses of wine and cappucino in the MDR, the buffet, and the specialty restaurants. On another line getting different glasses promptly during dinner was a problem. We might start with sparkling then another white then a red. Depending on the menu that night we might like 3 different glasses of wine. Anyone care to share how the service has been with Princess?

Also would enjoy specialty coffee in the am, Bottled water during the day, and probably one cocktail in the evening.

Trying to decide between getting the package or just using corkage fee for wine and paying for additional items.

Thanks.

Wine by the glass service has always been a sticking point in the MDR, package or no package.

My experience with the PBP last year on Royal Princess: once the servers at Crooner's and Wheelhouse got to know me service was fine, they were quick to ask me for a new drink as soon as I finished the one I was working. Ordering a soda or bottled water (still or sparkling) between rounds was fine in the bars. But in dining venues at that time they were still saying that small bottles of sparkling water were not covered by the PBP. However when I did order a soda they would bring it in the large plastic tumbler that is used by the pool, so I got a larger serving than if I just had the Soda and More. At Alfredo's they would not bring me a large Sangria even though it is under $12, said they would bring as many small ones as I wanted (a possible issue with the daily 15 limit for some). I got a specialty tea each morning from the IC; they were fastidious about swiping the card to make sure you were the actual person with the package.

But as you seem to expect to drink not a lot outside of wine with dinner, you have to weigh the convenience of the package against the effort of lugging your wine on and paying the corkage fees which will likely be less than the cost of two packages. Strictly a judgement call if there every was one.

fishywood nailed it...beverage service in the mdr is seriously hit and mostly miss - just like the food service in there as it is seriously understaffed...

that's why Vines is our go to before dinner and I take a "sippy" cup to the mdr...and then immediately order a second glass of wine..

As the other posters have said, I find the service to be very spotty in the MDR and the Speciality Dining Rooms. Though last time at Sabatini's we had an exceptional waiter and it was slow so our table got heir cocktails very quickly.

We have always been so very lucky with the service at Crooners & Vines. Many times we know one of the bartenders from a previous sailing or they get to know us quickly. Don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that they keep my number behind the bar and I don't even have to show my card after the first day or two! :D:D

Getting nice Reidell glasses at Vines-just ask! They will try to talk you out of them if you are leaving that bar-Once you get known they may let you take them to the MDR.j Getting appropriate glasses in the MDR for each wine-Best of luck. This may be the reason we don't always get away from Vines & tapas/sushi :-)

with what - water? - or from the bottle of wine you purchased so they can sell you another one...:cool:

It depends on when the cruise was - back when it was actually unlimited they would keep bring glasses when you got low - now with the 15 drink limit they have to use your cruise card drink by drink. Be careful though on one cruise they kept putting all the glasses of wine on my card only and I almost maxed out. MDR junior waiters may not be well versed in the PBP.

I can't remember if it was on Celebrity or Princess, but they kept refilling my glass during dinner even when I wasn't asking for it.

That's Celebrity. Their MDR wine service is outstanding compared with Princess.

On Princess you are only allowed to order one glass at a time and getting a second or third glass once the food service has started can be an issue unless you have exceptionally good waiters. We no longer buy the package.

I have had the package prior to the sip& sale promo and the have used it 4 times with the promo the last 2 years...one 21 day and 3- 7 day. I thought for sure when I add the first promo that service everywhere would be congested....but my concern never materialized.

I had great service in the MDR 3 times(My time) and once Traditional...I will say with traditional they were right on top of it. At My Time I made sure to tell the waiter when I sat down I had the package...my DH also had the package but often did not care for wine with dinner so I would order one glass with each of our cards, and guest who drank them;p

The problem now with the limit on the drinks is the waiter has to scroll with his ipad to find your drink choice. often they do it in front of you. Your photo comes up with a red line saying you have the beverage package, then they need to find your drink.

Also remember to order an after dinner drink....gota' use that package...

My experience with the package, we have had great service.

Getting nice Reidell glasses at Vines-just ask! They will try to talk you out of them if you are leaving that bar-Once you get known they may let you take them to the MDR.j Getting appropriate glasses in the MDR for each wine-Best of luck. This may be the reason we don't always get away from Vines & tapas/sushi :-)

One cruise, I actually ended up with 2 of those glasses in my cabin...how did that happen.....;p?

Just reading more posts, I usually post after reading just a couple :confused:....so my posts are not shaded by others...:D

Carolyn mentioned... Specialty Restaurants, those were a problem..... thinking back, two times I remember we were not even offered drinks, we had to ask and often it took time for delivery..but worst than that was being charged....I know it happened on Crown , Majestic & Emerald.....just went to Guest relations to have it removed so no BIG.

We found the dining rooms generally understaffed - too many tables for the waiter and assistant to keep things moving smoothly.

In Traditional dining, service improves considerably if some tables are empty if guests don't show up.

This year we (maybe a dozen tables in the section) were seated as traditional dining in a section of the anytime dining room. Never again. Any of the traditional tables that were empty were then filled with anytimers. Their course timing was way off from the traditional tables' and our wait staff were delayed and messed up all over trying to serve both.

Getting second drinks, whether wine or pop refils or more sparkling water or even regular water has been an issue the last few cruises. The swipe on the ipads seems to make everything slower.

The staff constantly are reswiping, or can't find the item we want, and it certainly doesn't speed up delivery - our wait staff have to go get eveything themselves still.

Trying to wave them down for more drinks while they are racing around with food for all their tables was very difficult. Staff haven't had time to provide much mid-course service the past few cruises we've been on.

Now a big improvement would be if there were separate staff that would DELIVER the orders to the waiter's stations after they were swiped in, but that is asking too much I'm sure! :rolleyes:

To simplify, we get a drink at a bar on the way into dinner, then order another when we arrive - the first drink order arrives ok. After that its hit and miss. Trying to time wine with courses is impossible from what we've seen as the same staff have to get both drinks and food and they just can't do it all.

If you order a bottle, it is kept nearby and if the wait staff notice you need more, they bring and refil your glass. We sometimes asked them to leave the bottle on the table so we could refil ourselves as needed.

I wonder if the Medallion would help this .... order a drink to be delivered to you at your table in the DR .... Hmmmm.

We do not enjoy the sip and sail package because of all the issues stated above. The other BIG issue is the selection of wine by glass simply sucks. So, you can't get decent wine service in the MDR AND your selection is awful . The only decent selection by the glass is at Vines. And they most definitely will not bring you a glass from Vines.

I have traveled several cruises with the beverage package (booked under Sip & Sail), and I usually had excellent service.

The service at Crooners (sitting at the bar) was particularly good. After the first day, the bartenders knew me, knew my folio number, knew that I had the package, and knew my usual drink. Whenever the drink got low, they would check if I wanted another one. I did not see any significant difference in service for those of us with the package and those without it, except they were probably a little faster to offer another drink to those of us with the package once they learned our drinking habits.

I also received excellent service at Vines (on two different ships). When I had anytime dining, DW and I would often go to the MDR to get a pager (since we often ate during the busy early dining time after the MDR filled up but before anyone left). We would then take the pager to Vines and order a glass of wine each. When the pager went off, the bartender would pour us another glass (in the to-go glass) and then top it off with the remainder of the glass we were drinking.

We also generally received excellent service in the MDR. We would often each carry a glass in from Vines (not because of service but because of the better selection of wines by the drink). It took longer to get another glass than it would with a bottle waiting by the table, but generally not very long. The waiter would often ask me if I wanted another glass before I finished the previous one to give time to get it. However, my last few cruises I was eating dinner in Club Class, and I suspect the service may have been better there than in the rest of the MDR.

Thanks for all the reports. But yikes now I am concerned. We have selected traditional dining with a table for six and now I think that our trying to get three glasses wine to match the courses is going to be annoying for us and our table mates. Plus we may carry on a few bottles to have some nights. Sounds like there is not an easy way to get wine by the glass service.

I wonder if the Medallion would help this .... order a drink to be delivered to you at your table in the DR .... Hmmmm.

You would still have to have access to a digital interface device to place the order, either one you are carrying with you or a screen probably outside the dining room. Then the Medallion would let the staff know where you are to actually deliver the beverage to you.

One nice thing about Club Class dining is that they use the same Reidel glasses as at Vines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One nice thing about Club Class dining is that they use the same Reidel glasses as at Vines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does club class have a different wine menu?

Was thinking maybe they go to wines to get CC diner's wine selections rather than the MDR bar.

I can't remember if it was on Celebrity or Princess, but they kept refilling my glass during dinner even when I wasn't asking for it.

This made me literally laugh out loud --- drink service we have had in the MDR on Princess has been abysmal. The package or not is irrelevant. Assistant waiters do not have time to be wine stewards or bar waiters.

Celebrity still has (or did on our last Celebrity cruise) sommeliers. I never had any problem having different wines with different course and my glass was almost always re-filled without asking.

I did have a funny issue once in the MDR on Princess at lunch with the package -- I carried in a cocktail that was 3/4 finished. The server refused to take my order for a glass of wine, until I finished my drink. That changed very quickly after I asked to speak to the matire'de.

Our experience everywhere else on board Princess has always been excellent -- the servers never seemed to care whether or not we had the package. Prompt and friendly service is the norm/

Does club class have a different wine menu?

Was thinking maybe they go to wines to get CC diner's wine selections rather than the MDR bar.

Club Class has the same drink menu as the rest of the MDR. The only difference is you may receive faster service because of the better ratio of servers to diners.

Thanks for all the reports. But yikes now I am concerned. We have selected traditional dining with a table for six and now I think that our trying to get three glasses wine to match the courses is going to be annoying for us and our table mates. Plus we may carry on a few bottles to have some nights. Sounds like there is not an easy way to get wine by the glass service.

With traditional dining, you should not have a problem once your waiters learn your preferences. If you want a specific wine with a specific course, tell the waiter or assistant waiter at the beginning - don't wait until you receive the course. Also, you may order another glass before you finished the previous one.

With traditional dining, you should not have a problem once your waiters learn your preferences. If you want a specific wine with a specific course, tell the waiter or assistant waiter at the beginning - don't wait until you receive the course. Also, you may order another glass before you finished the previous one.

If they will take the order when we place the food order, we will be just fine. Thanks for the suggestion. Heck, we can even look at the menu when it is posted after lunch and write down the food and wine pairing :).

• 4 weeks later...

Another question about the Premier Bev Package, how is wine/ cocktail service if you decide to eat in the buffet at lunch? at dinner? Do you go to a bar and get it yourself or is there table service? All the information people have shared is very appreciated :).