What do you wish you had left at home?

KnightsFan

There seem to be a hundred different lists of things you should take on a cruise, and a thousand posts asking about them.

But what common item people include on those did/do you find yourself never using?

Did you take up precious suitcase room with a door organizer that sat empty? Did the highlighter never make it out of your bag?

When we first started cruising I looked at the lists on here and we took a door organizer, a highlighter, a jacket, ziplock bags, magnetic clips and a lanyard. All of which were not used, and in fact stayed in the luggage the entire time. At the end of the trip, I ended up throwing most of them away just to free up room for stuff we'd purchased. Definitely a waste of space for us.

Usually a couple of extra outfits and fancy shoes... after the first couple of cruises I realized I wouldn't be using all of that, so started leaving that all at home... I also don't bring my laptop anymore... i had these grand ideas I would blog while I was at sea... nope.

I do bring a couple of Tervis water bottles/coffee cups tho, because I found I don't like how small any of the cups are... so out with the shoes, in with the cups lol

When we first started cruising I looked at the lists on here and we took a door organizer, a highlighter, a jacket, ziplock bags, magnetic clips and a lanyard. All of which were not used, and in fact stayed in the luggage the entire time. At the end of the trip, I ended up throwing most of them away just to free up room for stuff we'd purchased. Definitely a waste of space for us.

The jacket thing is the most confounding to me. With as many people as they fit onto a cruise ship for a Caribbean itinerary it's impossible to get it below 78°.

The jacket thing is the most confounding to me. With as many people as they fit onto a cruise ship for a Caribbean itinerary it's impossible to get it below 78°.

Personally, I find cruise ship air con freezing. I always take a thick hoodie for all my cruises.

Not to mention that there are many cruises you will need a jacket for for sure...whether is because of weather or an occasion.

I packed my gym kit on our first cruise and it didn't get used. I also packed a thermos bottle for my last cruise and didn't use it. None of this mattered though as we were sailing from the UK for these cruises.

For my first cruise I was presented with a vast, decorated straw hat and flip flops... both took up too much room in the case, and neither were comfortable to wear, so they took up room in the cabin instead.

At the end of the cruise I asked the stewardess if she knew anyone on board who could use them, and she spent that evening going about her work wearing the hat and with the flip flops on her trolley, showing everyone and singing songs about them! :D

Now I buy foldable fabric hats and shoes with several uses...

and she spent that evening going about her work wearing the hat and with the flip flops on her trolley, showing everyone and singing songs about them! :D

I love this and she probably enjoyed it as well. Something a little different to brighten up the day!

People cruise to many places besides the Caribbean. Places where a jacket is likely a necessity.

The only things I pack that I rarely have used are OTC meds. But better to have these and not need them than the reverse.

some of my shoes and some of my slacks/pants and shirts.

Somehow, nobody noticed that I wore a shirt twice.

I've also never noticed if someone else wore the same outfit or shoes on elegant/formal night.