Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:36 AM.
USA
385 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Has anyone taken this cruise on this new ship? We are interested in a trip on the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Paul and can find very little information about traveling in this area, or any information on any other cruise line (other than American Cruise). Our interests are history, natural history,and lectures; dressing for dinner, fancy wine lists and entertainment are not important to us. Thanks!
Virginia
1,437 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
That is the only line cruising the Mississippi. They just started this year with cruises, so there is very little information available. You might want to try posting your questions on their forum HERE.

Cheers,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill and Sharon

STSC(SS) USN Retired
SS410 Threadfin: 1960; SS350 Dogfish: 1961-62 (Diesel Boats Forever!)
George Bancroft, SSBN 643 Commissioning Crew: 1963-67
Andrew Jackson, SSBN 619: 1968-71, Simon Bolivar, SSBN 641: 1974-78
James K Polk, SSBN 645: 81-83
Mississippi Queen Memphis - New Orleans: 2004
Volendam Alaska: 2005, Maasdam Southern Caribbean: 2006, Viking Spirit Netherlands, April 2007
Volendam Caribbean/Panama, 2007, Maasdam Voyage of the Vikings, July 2008,
Prinsendam Grand Med and Black Sea Voyage, March 2009, Amsterdam Grand Australia and South Pacific Voyage, September 2009, GCT Rhine and Mosel, March 2010, Viking Spirit Paris and Heart of Normandy, Nov 2011, Viking Europe Portraits of Southern France, March 2012, Viking Njord Danube Waltz, December 2012, IOS, Feb 2013.
Germany
14,228 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
sk8teacher,

There are two cruise lines operating a boat each on the Mississippi river system.

There´s the American Queen steamboat operated by American Queen Steamboat Company (which has an own sub forum on her you´ve linked to).

And there´s the just christened Queen of the Mississippi (paddlewheel, no steam) by American Cruise Lines (which has no own sub forum on here, so questions about ACL have to be asked on here). ACL is currently building a second boat. They also operate the Queen of the West paddlewheeler on the Columbia river system. Next to that they do operate a couple of more small ships.

steamboats
Minnesota
101 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Hello,
I am an avid cruiser (winters) and have a houseboat on the Mississippi (summers) in Minnesota. If you have questions about the ports of St Paul, or Red Wing, I'd be happy to try and answer.

In a general sense, what I can tell you about the area from Lake Pepin to St Paul is that it is a very beautiful stretch of the river. There are a large number of eagles that soar and glide the thermals. Right now I am looking out the back window of my houseboat and see herons, immature eagles, ducks and geese. Last week some cranes were guests in the bay. As I understand it, 2/3 of the North American migratory birds use the Mississippi as their path. It is a great time of year to visit.

We are having an extremely dry year, which has impacted the river levels. We saw the Queen in Red Wing a week or two ago, so I assume she is still able to navigate the river.

Happy Cruising!

Ann
Long Island, New York
5,059 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by steamboats
sk8teacher,

There are two cruise lines operating a boat each on the Mississippi river system.

There´s the American Queen steamboat operated by American Queen Steamboat Company (which has an own sub forum on her you´ve linked to).

And there´s the just christened Queen of the Mississippi (paddlewheel, no steam) by American Cruise Lines (which has no own sub forum on here, so questions about ACL have to be asked on here). ACL is currently building a second boat. They also operate the Queen of the West paddlewheeler on the Columbia river system. Next to that they do operate a couple of more small ships.

steamboats
I'm booked on the Queen of the West for August on Columbia River. Anyone who has taken this trip and has any hints on what to bring, what not to bring, etc. I'd appreciate your input.