Looking For Restaurants In NOLA Featuring Local Favorites Without Pork

Fourkids4us

Hi,

I was wondering is any local folks can recommend restaurants where we can eat some of the more famous foods that New Orleans are famous for that do not have sausage/pork. I was unsure if the sauces were cooked already or if we could request some things without it.

We definitely wanted to try Shrimp and Grits. From the photo on Rudy Slippers page, it seems there is meat in it and I saw another poster mention some seafood dishes with meat. We do eat meat, just not pork.

We will be staying for two days possibly in the convention area. We will be traveling around though once I figure out the best way to do that with 5 kids. ;p;p

Thank you for any guidance.

Just ask your server. They are trained to know their menus and their ingredients, mainly because of allergies.

My oldest son worked for several years at Muriel's as a server. If he was unsure about ingredients he would go ask one of the cooks. Some guests avoided pork because of religious beliefs.

You will either have to email/call the restaurants or ask once you're there. Many local favourite dishes use tasso ham, smoked, or andouille sausage, all of which are pork-based. And pork can hide in places. Some restaurants use lard in their biscuits or pastry. I am not sure which, and sometimes recipes change without notice. Call, email or ask is the best advice.

There should be lots of options - I would recommend checking the menus on restaurant's website and then calling the restaurant. There should be lots of seafood and beef choices.

A good overall restaurant website is www.nomenu.com which is a local food critic. It has links to the websites.

Hi,

I was wondering is any local folks can recommend restaurants where we can eat some of the more famous foods that New Orleans are famous for that do not have sausage/pork. I was unsure if the sauces were cooked already or if we could request some things without it.

We definitely wanted to try Shrimp and Grits. From the photo on Rudy Slippers page, it seems there is meat in it and I saw another poster mention some seafood dishes with meat. We do eat meat, just not pork.

We will be staying for two days possibly in the convention area. We will be traveling around though once I figure out the best way to do that with 5 kids. ;p;p

Thank you for any guidance.

Google halal in New Orleans