Pick pocket protection

Following on from Gae's missed cruise thread (I am really sad that this happened to your friend)

How do you protect yourself from pick pockets whilst travelling?

As we are cruising from Barcelona on September I am being extra cautious.

I just went and purchased a small pacsafe cross body carry bag for my passports & purse for when we are carrying our luggage around and look like tourists.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I made my own "secret pockets" that are worn under clothing. Two sizes, credit card size which I often hook around my bra strap and tuck into the side of my bra under my arm, and passport size which loops onto belt loops and is tucked inside pants. Plus I always use cross body bags. You've also got to be vigilant and aware of what is going on around you, even when you're exhausted.

I made my own "secret pockets" that are worn under clothing. Two sizes, credit card size which I often hook around my bra strap and tuck into the side of my bra under my arm, and passport size which loops onto belt loops and is tucked inside pants. Plus I always use cross body bags. You've also got to be vigilant and aware of what is going on around you, even when you're exhausted.

I have a bra stash pocket......the looks you get when you go to pay for something [emoji15]

Cross body bags are great, but to make it more secure have one with a flap that requires a kind of latch not a magnet to secure it. Another tip is to keep your bag to the front of your body. Sitting on your backside makes it a prime target for the opportunistic pick pockets;).

I will sometimes use hidden money bags or pockets but since they are designed to be hard to reach they are only useful for keeping your emergency cards or money and only if you are certain you will not need your passport for identification puposes.

I have read some people will put fake cards and fake money in their pockets as a sort of decoy for the pick pockets. One account I read they said they put used tissues between the fake money:').

I have a Pacsafe Metro 250 that I use for shore days. It can hold things like a cardigan and foldable hat as well as wallet and a snack.

the thing is you need to use all the locks on it for it be effective.

It also has metal cords through the shoulder straps and metal mesh(a bit like chook wire) under the fabric of the bag.

Never had a problem. And I have travelled in Rome, Barcelona, Naples, Venice, Athens and Florence.

Passports, most cash and cards in money belts hidden under clothes. Admittedly I’m usually in Europe in winter when it’s easier under winter clothes.

I lead groups of Australian teenagers who can be terrible at putting items down. They carry those valuables in the way mentioned. Phones, travel card and small amount of cash in cross body bag under coat. Non-valuables in a bigger daybag.

My crossbody bag and backpack are travelon and pacsafe brands respectively as I’d be in a real problem if I lost my belongings or my students’ paperwork that I must carry at all times. It’s on thing losing items or having them stolen when you’re on your own trip and can take the time to file police reports, go to embassy etc. But when it’s going to hold the whole group up or mean that our teacher to student ratio is higher while one of us does that messy run-around with a student it’s best to be over prepared.

Despite all this we *almost* lost 3 phones last trip. One taken by gypsies which luckily we got back as a passerby helped students, another was put down in Dubai airport and a third was put down in McDonald’s at Versailles! Luckily in the last 2 cases they were handed in!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following on from Gae's missed cruise thread (I am really sad that this happened to your friend)

I know how to break their arms and a few joints and ligaments while I am at it!

Keep things in pockets, in front of you, regularly check them, and be vigilant/cautious.

Have a plan before you head out rather than standing and looking lost, especially in big public areas e.g. railway stations, squares.

Passports, bulk of cash and all cards (for both wife and myself) are kept in a money belt type of bag under my clothes. Only take it out when needed and carry enough cash for the day. Don't even trust hotel safes, and never leave it in a bag when flying or on a train. ship or bus/

Get a few funny looks when I unbuckle the belt and drop the daks but who cares - not much to see anyway.

Have been travelling for years everywhere and never had a problem - you cannot let your guard down at any time (trousers excepted)

Mix of pockets with Velcro or tight fitting buttons and spread cash, cards, etc, across all pockets. Use Pacsafe or similar bags/satchels and wear across front/side of body. Always try and have eyes in the back of your head, especially if you stop to enjoy street theatre and the like.

I agree with comments by others. Our money and passport in a 'wallet' are under our clothes. If we are going to a market, a small amount of money will be in a more accessible place.

I feel sorry for Gae and her friend, but obviously the thieves targeted an older lady they thought would be an easy mark. This would have been terribly upsetting for both the lady involved and for Gae.

when on day trips ...I take a back bag but wear it at my front. in germany recently on a guided tour...we stopped at a sight with the guide talking about it...she stopped talking ...a man approached me and stood at the back of me....she said lucky you had your bag at the front as he was obviously trying to pick pocket people

Be wary at all times. We tend to be too trusting and friendly . On one tour , a member of our group was sprayed with something and fell into a doorway. The passerby who rushed to help was actually the one who cleaned out her pockets and bag.

Heres a helpful list

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3068972/Secret-pockets-anti-slash-bags-special-pouch-bra-clothes-help-beat-pickpockets.html

HOW TO BEAT THE PICKPOCKETS

1. Place your wallet in your front pocket instead of the back. Using an elastic band around the wallet will prevent it from smoothly sliding out your pocket as well.

Consider taking a dummy wallet with you, as most thieves will not look for another once they have found the first one. This can also work with a dummy old phone.

2. Spread your valuables instead of keeping them in once place.

If you are unlucky enough to be a victim of pickpocketing, and your ID, passport, cards and important documents are spread out, you will not lose everything in one go.

3. Do not accept food or drink from strangers who you've just met in hotels or on buses or trains.

4. Before travelling, research whether the destination is notorious for any particular scams. Embassy websites and online travel forums are particular good sources.

5. Carry a backup ATM or credit card in case you lose your main card.

6. Females should consider sewing a pocket into their bras for valuables, as thieves are well aware of money belts, and know how to target them.

7. When sat down keep your bag looped through your leg, or under a chair leg, to avoid someone making off with the whole bag.

8. Consider a slash free bag, to avoid pickpockets cutting into your belongings to extract valuables.

9. Don't draw attention to your belongings by letting pickpockets know where you are keeping each valuable.

10. Remain aware; pickpockets succeed by successfully misdirecting your attention, so be suspicious if someone tries to distract you during your day.

I use this and wear it under my shirt. Yes, it's a little lumpy. But I don't care. Everything is safe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MVRR6V/ref=s9_acsd_topr_hd_bw_bjYOe3_c_x_w/147-8268623-8457642?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=PFM9YYD5SBW2XN8VB62P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=953befae-7fd4-5d7f-9c79-630225c41740&pf_rd_i=673133011

A cross body bag that actually has nothing of value in it (a bottle of water, umbrella etc). I keep a small amount of cash and one credit/debit card easily accessible (to me, not them!) in a zipped or inside pocket so I don't need to pull out a wallet/purse out to pay for things. I keep my other credit/debit cards separately (hotel safe, or under garment money belt), so if one is lost or stolen, I still have access to money.

Don't sign any petitions and ignore people who approach you and offer you a taxi!

Just in case things do go wrong

The best advice I received was to always carry a photocopy of your passport.

This served me well 20 years ago when I lost my passport in America 3 days before flying out to Europe for a 22 day Trafalger tour. The passport had my French visa stamped in it.

The photocopy really speed up getting a tempory passport issued I was able to get one that day and walk down to the French consulate to get another visa stamp.

for the pst 6 years I have used an anti-theft Travelon messenger/cross body bag when overseas (sometimes use it at home too).

it has two wires in the straps, mesh in the fabric of the body of the bag, all the zips are lockable to the body of the bag.

the bag can hold a surprising number of items ,,,passports, camera, wallet, Kindle etc

best value buy for my travel needs