Using a Travel Agent for Group Cruise worth it or not??

My family is planning a reunion in the 2019/2020. We estimated we'll have anywhere from 15-20 staterooms. Besides the convenience factors, will working with a Travel Agent offer us any discounts or extra perks. Has anyone had any experience using a TA for a cruise, did you get a better deal?

My family is planning a reunion in the 2019/2020. We estimated we'll have anywhere from 15-20 staterooms. Besides the convenience factors, will working with a Travel Agent offer us any discounts or extra perks. Has anyone had any experience using a TA for a cruise, did you get a better deal?

We generally take "longer" cruises of 3 weeks plus. The several TAs we use will always add significant "value" to the cruise line's best deal - often in the form of complimentary gratuities, onboard credit and/or rebates. On our preferred line/itineraries, this usually amounts to several thousand dollars in ultimate savings.

I'd use one because without one someone in the family will fill the organizer roll and have to deal with all that. Plus if you're not set on the exact cruise from the start, a TA would hopefully be familiar with lines that give offers to groups and other things for groups. Like I know one line that lets groups over 7 rooms pick two from a list of perks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Definitely use a TA, otherwise the "organizer" will drive themselves crazy trying to herd cats, and someone will end up not speaking to someone else. Shop around to see which cruise lines and TAs offer the best deal.

Roz

Definitely use a TA, otherwise the "organizer" will drive themselves crazy trying to herd cats, and someone will end up not speaking to someone else. Shop around to see which cruise lines and TAs offer the best deal.

Roz

Definitely have a TA help you with this.

If someone tries to do this themselves there are going to be some very hurt feelings between family members.

Even doing this someone will announce that THEY could have gotten a better deal.

Aunt Agnus is going to complain because Aunt Beatrice got a better cabin. (even though the cabins are exactly the same)

Help as much as you can but have an escape route.

Our family manages group cruises all the time. My wife and her sisters are experienced and know their stuff. They also enjoy doing it. I and my brother-in-laws know to stay out of it and follow instructions. :D. The latest is a fall Med cruise involving 6 cabins. So, clearly our groups are much smaller than what you are doing.

I would think for the amount of cabins you are talking about you should receive some perks. Some (maybe all) lines provide customer support for group bookings. Maybe you could also check to see what they offer. At the end of the day, like others, I think a TA is your best bet.

Roz

+1 on this. If you try to organize it yourself, by the end of the planning process and definitely by the end of the trip, everyone will be hating each other and they will not talk to you for the next 10 years or so.

DON

Your answer will be revealed by simply shopping around. Contact several high volume reputable cruise agencies, tell them what you want, and tell them you are shopping among a few agencies for the most attractive deal. You can then compare the best overall deal to what you can get by booking direct with the cruise line. You will likely save at least 10% by shopping around versus what you get by booking direct.

Hank

We almost always cruise with groups and always use a TA.

I always book directly with the cruise line myself...... Except the times we do our family cruise (7-10 cabins). For the sake of sanity and family togetherness, we use a TA. Let them deal with linking dining, getting payments, dealing with any hiccups on the way. It will make the cruise much more enjoyable for all.