if you have seen one of the forts...should we go to the other forts?

ginger123snaps

I’ve been to both and enjoyed them both. I went to one on one visit and the other on a second visit. I enjoyed them enough that I’m probably going again to one or the other in February, 2019. Can’t speak for young ones, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whichever one is closer to your other interests?

In all honesty from what I can tell the biggest differentiator is accessibility. I posted a review, the access hill to El Morro is VERY steep.

Which one is the best? Kids aged 12-17

• 2 weeks later...
Whichever one is closer to your other interests?

In all honesty from what I can tell the biggest differentiator is accessibility. I posted a review, the access hill to El Morro is VERY steep.

I think you might be talking about the hill up to Cristobal. That’s the fort we visited today and while it was no big deal and neither of us were out of breath from climbing it, a LOT of other people were huffing and puffing at the top. I think it really depends on your fitness level, but if you have no walking issues and are in good shape then I wouldn’t avoid the fort due to the hill, it’s nothing I would have even thought to mention. El Morro has a long sidewalk leading up to it, but no hill.

Both forts are easy to get to, Cristobal is closest to the cruise port, but El Morro is just a couple minute walk up the street from it.

The main shops are right in between them both. There’s also a trolly that stops pretty much at the bottom of Cristobal and drops you off at El Morro.

I’d also say that you could go to either one, and they’re both fairly similar. We went to El Morro last time we were here and went to Cristobal this time. We felt no need today to go back to Morro after walking around Cristobal for a while.

Cristobal was really busy while the Oasis was in port today, but once the ship left we had the place almost all to ourselves and were able to take a ton of pictures with no other people in the background. If you’re visiting for an overnight, go after the ship leaves. If you’re coming in on a port stop, it’ll still be fine. I didn’t think it was too busy when the ship people were there, it was just a noticeable difference once they left and better for photos.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Yep. I was corrected in another thread, forgot to update this one...

The fort with the big hill is San Cristobal (we had been talking about El Morro in the car on the way there and my brain just locked in on that). It's certainly manageable but it is more than a bit steep.

I think you might be talking about the hill up to Cristobal. That’s the fort we visited today and while it was no big deal and neither of us were out of breath from climbing it, a LOT of other people were huffing and puffing at the top. I think it really depends on your fitness level, but if you have no walking issues and are in good shape then I wouldn’t avoid the fort due to the hill, it’s nothing I would have even thought to mention. El Morro has a long sidewalk leading up to it, but no hill.

Both forts are easy to get to, Cristobal is closest to the cruise port, but El Morro is just a couple minute walk up the street from it.

The main shops are right in between them both. There’s also a trolly that stops pretty much at the bottom of Cristobal and drops you off at El Morro.

I’d also say that you could go to either one, and they’re both fairly similar. We went to El Morro last time we were here and went to Cristobal this time. We felt no need today to go back to Morro after walking around Cristobal for a while.

Cristobal was really busy while the Oasis was in port today, but once the ship left we had the place almost all to ourselves and were able to take a ton of pictures with no other people in the background. If you’re visiting for an overnight, go after the ship leaves. If you’re coming in on a port stop, it’ll still be fine. I didn’t think it was too busy when the ship people were there, it was just a noticeable difference once they left and better for photos.

Yep. I was corrected in another thread, forgot to update this one...

The fort with the big hill is San Cristobal (we had been talking about El Morro in the car on the way there and my brain just locked in on that). It's certainly manageable but it is more than a bit steep.

It is a pretty steep hill. But it’s not a difficult walk so I wouldn’t avoid it unless someone has mobility issues.

If it was the only fort you are going to, I would agree. But per the topic, if you had been to El Morro, not 100 percent sure I would push that climb just to see a very similar fort, unless that was my area of interest. Or if you did have concerns, I might choose the other, all else being equal.

It is a pretty steep hill. But it’s not a difficult walk so I wouldn’t avoid it unless someone has mobility issues.

There are actually two entrances to San Cristobal: One is walking up the steep sidewalk bordering the left side of the fort. The other is this one:

20161016_141234-M.jpg

As you can see the walk up this way is not as bad (for those of you that have been there). This entrance is through the area where the National Park Service offices are located. To get there, once you reach the lower corner where the fort is located, turn right (instead of going straight uphill) until you see this parking lot and just go up through it. It's maybe 50-60 steps from the corner. One inside, you can take stairs or an elevator two stories up to an open esplanade where you can access the fort through a less difficult ramp. But this way is in the shade, cool, with grab handles and takes you by the place where the dungeons used to be and where there's actually old drawings still preserved in one of the walls.

Actually this is the one that the people with the wheelchair had issues with (and my bad knee was certainly unhappy with after walking heavily for several days). Its certainly not impassible, but can be a bit challenging.

There are actually two entrances to San Cristobal: One is walking up the steep sidewalk bordering the left side of the fort. The other is this one:

20161016_141234-M.jpg

As you can see the walk up this way is not as bad (for those of you that have been there). This entrance is through the area where the National Park Service offices are located. To get there, once you reach the lower corner where the fort is located, turn right (instead of going straight uphill) until you see this parking lot and just go up through it. It's maybe 50-60 steps from the corner. One inside, you can take stairs or an elevator two stories up to an open esplanade where you can access the fort through a less difficult ramp. But this way is in the shade, cool, with grab handles and takes you by the place where the dungeons used to be and where there's actually old drawings still preserved in one of the walls.

My nieces (18 & 22) both enjoyed Cristobal more than El Morro. Both are very doable in the same day and your entrance fee covers both of them for the day. I would probably start at Cristobal then walk up to El Morro and then on the way back to port you can walk thru the streets of OSJ and see some of the other things like the cathedral and other areas of interest.

Are the forts boring for kids? Tweens and teen ages?

Yes and no. They’re fun to walk around in, and they’re fun to explore, find interesting staircases, see where they go, what the view is from the top, walk through the tunnels etc, but they’ll be “boring” to teens and tweens in the same way that museums are “boring.” By that I mean they’ll have fun walking around and looking at stuff, but they’ll be pulling your sleeve every time you take too long trying to read the plaques and descriptions [emoji4]

My boys have are 10,10,9. We visited one of the forts last year. Trying to decide if it would be repetitive to visit the other forts there or try something else? Any ideas besides beaches for active 10 year boys?

What about a hike somewhere outside of the port area? There are excursions for this if you're worried about returning to your ship on time.

How much are the forts now? I heard the price went up? Is it per fort now or can you go to both for 1 price?

You can visit both for the price of 1. You use the receipt from whichever one you paid for and show it to the desk at the other one. It’s $7/person for people over the age of 15 (so you pay starting at age 16).

You can visit both for the price of 1. You use the receipt from whichever one you paid for and show it to the desk at the other one. It’s $7/person for people over the age of 15 (so you pay starting at age 16).

Thanks [emoji4]