Vote: Edinburgh Castle or Holyrood Palace

Hi!

I'm trying to get a sense of which place is more interesting to go to...Edinburgh Castle or Holyrood Palace? I guess one is better for Scottish history and the other if your interest is in British Royal History? With just one day there and a desire to see some of the historic places on the Royal Mile and maybe Britannia, I may have to choose just one, especially if I book a tour. Also, will I miss a lot of information if I just do the Royal Mile myself, or should I book an underground tour, or a tour guide?

Thanks

Alison

The Edinburgh Castle has a wonderful audio guide. Do that and walk the Royal Mile. We used the free Rick Steves audio guide that you download on your iPhone or iPod for the Royal Mile. Rick Steves talks a lot about Holyrood, it’s at the bottom of Royal Mile. If you have time you can go in there too. Edinburgh is small enough. We also hunted the Harry Potter sites.

Make sure you purchase your entrance tickets to Edinburgh Castle before you leave home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As stated above, Edinburgh Castle is great for history and we pre purchased our tickets on line so that we could get there first thing in the morning. We spent a couple of hours there, walked the Royal Mile and ended at Holyrood Palace where we were able to take a tour and enjoyed it very much. You can do both in one day. We also had time to check out Greyfriar's Bobby on our way towards Holyrood Palace and had lunch there after the tour. Our feet were tired after all our walking but we had a great day! Tip - start at Edinburgh Castle if you are bent on seeing it as it is a downhill walk to Holyrood Palace. We found that the walk up to the Castle from the train station was very steep.

Barb

I personally prefer Holyrood, very interesting for Scottish history, being the home of the kings and queens of Scotland since the early 17th century, notably of Mary Queen of Scots. You step over the spot where her secretary was murdered in front of her! Though of course today it is the palace of Queen Elizabeth, and also interesting for the more modern apartments.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I personally prefer Holyrood, very interesting for Scottish history, being the home of the kings and queens of Scotland since the early 17th century, notably of Mary Queen of Scots. You step over the spot where her secretary was murdered in front of her!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also prefer Holyrood. Thankfully, I have never had to choose between the castle and the palace - both are amazing. Edinburgh is one of my favorite places to visit - I love the history, the people and the city itself. The drive along the North Sea from Inverness to Edinburgh is gorgeous (we took as many roads as possible that offered views) - wild, untamed beauty.

We did both in one day and still had a little shopping time. We used a guide at the entrance to the castle and it was well worth it. The view from the castle is breathtaking. We then walked down to the palace. Do make sure the queen is not in residence. We had a wonderful day. :D

I think it may be too rushed to try to do the castle, palace and Britannia all in one day?

It would be rushed but key to this would be where / when you'll dock and when your all aboard time is. You need around 3 hours at the Castle (and even then you'll just be skimming the surface as it is a large site), and allow an hour to walk down the Royal Mile. Holyrood is smaller so 90 minutes for a brief overview. Britannia is very close to the Leith and Newhaven ports. Which ship are you on and what date will you arrive and I will be able to help with arrival / departure times.

Thank you Tartan. We are docking in Newhaven. I would like to do just as you described with the castle, royal mile and the palace, and then add Britannia if possible. I don't want to rush the mile though if there is lots of history there. Not sure if I should drop either the castle or palace or maybe just leave Britannia for now. What do you think? Could all be done in a quality manner or would it be too rushed? Would it even be too rushed to try to do the castle and the palace together? I think we dock around 8 am and have to be back around 4 or 5pm (we sail at 6). If I want to do Britannia which is more interesting...castle or palace?

Time of year matters. We were there in August 2016 (working with a group in the Fringe Festival). We took a walk up to the castle and it looked like the Tokyo subway during rush hour...wall-to-wall people. Wandering downhill, Holyrood House was fairly uncrowded and we were able to visit it in relative peace and quiet.

August in Edinburgh sees the International Festival, the Fringe Festival, the Tattoo, a great book fair (a chance to meet Ian Rankin), and untold other events. The city population probably doubles...if not more...during the month.

Thank you Tartan. We are docking in Newhaven. I would like to do just as you described with the castle, royal mile and the palace, and then add Britannia if possible. I don't want to rush the mile though if there is lots of history there. Not sure if I should drop either the castle or palace or maybe just leave Britannia for now. What do you think? Could all be done in a quality manner or would it be too rushed? Would it even be too rushed to try to do the castle and the palace together? I think we dock around 8 am and have to be back around 4 or 5pm (we sail at 6). If I want to do Britannia which is more interesting...castle or palace?

I would allow up to 30 minutes to tender ashore and the last tender may well be 45 minutes before sail away. There's a free shuttle bus to Ocean Terminal from Newhaven so you could do Britannia, then get a taxi to the Castle. There's a taxi rank at Ocean Terminal. Yes September is much better than August but Edinburgh is never quiet.

It's hard for me to say whether to do the Palace or Castle but this may help you decide then I'll give an opinion. First of all the The Palace was a Royal home so the rooms are furnished as they would have been 300 years ago or so. The queen has apartments there so she lives there when she's in Edinburgh. The Castle was a fortress and built for the army of the day so it is more about how it was used to defend the city. It is the busier of the two attractions with longer queues. You could see the outside of the Castle from its Esplanade, walk down the Royal Mile and have lunch in a pub then visit the Palace. With the short time you have available IMO it's a better option though others might disagree.

I would allow up to 30 minutes to tender ashore and the last tender may well be 45 minutes before sail away. There's a free shuttle bus to Ocean Terminal from Newhaven so you could do Britannia, then get a taxi to the Castle. There's a taxi rank at Ocean Terminal. Yes September is much better than August but Edinburgh is never quiet.

It's hard for me to say whether to do the Palace or Castle but this may help you decide then I'll give an opinion. First of all the The Palace was a Royal home so the rooms are furnished as they would have been 300 years ago or so. The queen has apartments there so she lives there when she's in Edinburgh. The Castle was a fortress and built for the army of the day so it is more about how it was used to defend the city. It is the busier of the two attractions with longer queues. You could see the outside of the Castle from its Esplanade, walk down the Royal Mile and have lunch in a pub then visit the Palace. With the short time you have available IMO it's a better option though others might disagree.

Bolding mine. Thank you, tartanexile81. We are in port (Rosyth) from 8 am to 6 pm and you have just solved my quandry about which (castle or palace) to see. One question I have is is there any way to tell in advance if a royal will be in residence at the palace? They probably don't publish the info for security reasons but I thought maybe a website was available to indicate if the palace would be open or closed on a specific day. If the palace were to be closed on the only day we're in Edinburgh, then I would plan to see the castle instead.

Just two more tiny questions.....are there taxi's outside of the Holyrood Palace? And is it worthwhile getting a ticket that includes the Gallery and the Garden Tour (in September). I know this would mean spending more time at Holyrood, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to do so.

Thanks again

Bolding mine. Thank you, tartanexile81. We are in port (Rosyth) from 8 am to 6 pm and you have just solved my quandry about which (castle or palace) to see. One question I have is is there any way to tell in advance if a royal will be in residence at the palace? They probably don't publish the info for security reasons but I thought maybe a website was available to indicate if the palace would be open or closed on a specific day. If the palace were to be closed on the only day we're in Edinburgh, then I would plan to see the castle instead.

I can't tell when you're in port, but this website has the closures for the year:

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/palace-of-holyroodhouse

Just click on "Opening Times" and a pop up screen has the dates they are closed.

Edinburgh Castle is a must if you see nothing else in the city. The location is spectacular. There is an incredible amount of history. It's beautiful.

I would do the opposite of what's been recommended and start at the castle. Then you can walk down hill to see the outside of Holyrood. You could have a look inside St. Giles Cathedral as you go and also take a look inside Canongate Church as well which doesn't get a lot of press but is just wonderful.

Beth

Edited by ILoveScotland

I can't tell when you're in port, but this website has the closures for the year:

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/palace-of-holyroodhouse

Just click on "Opening Times" and a pop up screen has the dates they are closed.

Thank you! We are there in early September so it looks like no closures (unless it's on short notice (in which case, we'll be SOL but what can one do?!)).

The main dates the Palace is closed are published well in advance when the Royal family is in residence and for this year the closures are 26th June - 7th July and for a holiday on 25, 26 December. Do you know how to get to Edinburgh from Rosyth?

OOOOPS! Just noticed question has already been answered about closures but can't delete.

The main dates the Palace is closed are published well in advance when the Royal family is in residence and for this year the closures are 26th June - 7th July and for a holiday on 25, 26 December. Do you know how to get to Edinburgh from Rosyth?

OOOOPS! Just noticed question has already been answered about closures but can't delete.

You had, in another thread some time ago, responded to my query about getting from Rosyth to Edinburgh. I'm travelling with an 82 year old who can't climb hills/stairs and you had suggested that a taxi was the best way for us to get to the Castle and then walk down the Royal Mile to the Palace. So, I think we're good in that regard. We can just walk off and get a taxi, can't we? I read that someone had prebooked a taxi so am wondering if I should do the same.

Any recommendations for pub food along the Mile? Or should we consider afternoon tea at the Palace instead? DM's not a big eater; is it easy to share a meal in the UK?

You had, in another thread some time ago, responded to my query about getting from Rosyth to Edinburgh. I'm travelling with an 82 year old who can't climb hills/stairs and you had suggested that a taxi was the best way for us to get to the Castle and then walk down the Royal Mile to the Palace. So, I think we're good in that regard. We can just walk off and get a taxi, can't we? I read that someone had prebooked a taxi so am wondering if I should do the same.

Any recommendations for pub food along the Mile? Or should we consider afternoon tea at the Palace instead? DM's not a big eater; is it easy to share a meal in the UK?

Yes I remember now. Yesterday the taxi rank at Rosyth was moved. It's never been far away but now its even closer. There will be lots of taxis and you will have no difficulty. It will probably depend on timing as to where you stop. There are lots of pubs along the Royal Mile so you'll have no difficulty finding one. I like Deacon brodie's for its history but it's close to the Castle. The World's End is also popular and it would probably be a better location to stop. I'm not keen on the cafe at Holyroodhouse because it's in a pre-fabricated building. For afternoon tea, the Signet Library is great but at the wrong point in the Royal mile for you.

Yes I remember now. Yesterday the taxi rank at Rosyth was moved. It's never been far away but now its even closer. There will be lots of taxis and you will have no difficulty. It will probably depend on timing as to where you stop. There are lots of pubs along the Royal Mile so you'll have no difficulty finding one. I like Deacon brodie's for its history but it's close to the Castle. The World's End is also popular and it would probably be a better location to stop. I'm not keen on the cafe at Holyroodhouse because it's in a pre-fabricated building. For afternoon tea, the Signet Library is great but at the wrong point in the Royal mile for you.

Awesome! Thanks very much for the additional information. Good to know about the palace cafe.