How crazy is lunch on embarkation day

Westyone

I understand that the only restaurants open for embarkation lunch are Waves and Terrace on Insignia. There are no ‘sit down and be served’ restaurants open.

This will be our first Oceana cruise. Most of our other cruises have been on Celebrity in a suite, and so were able to have a less hectic embarkation lunch in Luminae.

My husband is a double amputee and uses a scooter to get around the ship. We’ve learned that Celebrity’s buffet was usually too hectic for him to navigate in a scooter and so we’ve avoided it.

I’m wondering if it will be too crowded and hectic for lunch on insignia that first day? We are in a suite and so can board as early as 11:00 am. Should we plan on eating lunch on shore and board latter, or will he be able to maneuver the buffet from his scooter. Alternatively, could he wait at a table while I get a plate for him?

Thanks in advance to all you experienced Oceana cruisers. I’ve learned a lot from your posts!

It depends on how early you get in there. Being able to board at 11 you should be able to beat the crowd, which really on Oceania is not that big.

There's no problem with having him wait at the table either and getting him a plate.

if you choose to go to Terrace, he can sit at one of the tables while you go get food.

Enlist one of the wait staff to carry plates for him to your table--they are all wonderful young people who will do whatever you want/need to make you BOTH comfortable.

Soon they will recognize you and come help you and him by moving chairs or whatever needs to be done.

And yes, 1st day may be a little crowded so if you can board early and dine early--go for it!!!

Have a great cruise!

We now always eat lunch ashore on embarkment day. Enjoy the local cuisine made from fresh local produce.

Lunch onboard ship that day is a circus. Unless you’re in something higher than a PH you won’t have access to your cabin until around 13:00. That means both you and the hordes are dragging their hand carry on with them everywhere. I’ve seen some have difficulties dragging the multiple bags, backpacks, et. al. up the stairs! Seats are taken, aisles are blocked with carry ons! The available space in the Terrace on R ships is very limited under best of conditions. On embarkment day it’s a zoo. The O ships are a bit better but we still far more enjoy the relaxed casual atmosphere of eating local cuisine ashore to that scene aboard ship. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy ship food during the cruise.

Just because you can Board early at 11:00, doesn’t mean that many others that have boarding times at 13:00, and that can’t get into their cabins until 14:00 or later, won’t be there trying to board with you!

I'm guessing your husband would like to first like to take a look at what's available to eat before he parks at a table (I sure would)?

Saying that, I agree if you get there early he sound have plenty of room to go to station-to-station and check out whats cooking. By 1:00 it might get too populated to easily maneuver.

Cheers,

John

O my gosh, thank you all for such quick replies!

We are in a suite so I’m thinking we can drop off our carry on’s, grab the scooter which will be waiting there and head to lunch. Or we could take the wheelchair (smaller than the scooter). Your responses are encouraging. I was thinking of getting to the ship between 11:00 and 11:30.

The ship embarks in Manhattan and we are taking a car service from Jersey. Our options are to eat at home before we leave or on the ship. Not practical for us to enjoy lunch in the City with our suitcases and me pushing a wheelchair.

So looking forward to the more sedate atmosphere you all have been describing on your posts and meeting some great fellow travelers. Can’t wait for that first glass of bubbly, a lounge chair and view of the sea!

We love the smaller ‘R’ ships vs the Marina and Riviera, just because of the more intimate feel. DH is also handicapped, and needs a bit more time and space, and so when boarding early (as you are in a suite), they will tell you where to go to pick up the elevator to go upstairs to the Terrace. At 11(ish), it has been our experience, that there are less people onboard, which allows you manuverability! Enjoy your cruise! We switched from Celebrity suites 6 years ago, and have never looked back! Not as hectic at all!

Waves may be less crazy than the Terrace. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. They have a steak and lobster burger thing that people rave about... also other sandwiches from the grill.

O my gosh, thank you all for such quick replies!

We are in a suite so I’m thinking we can drop off our carry on’s, grab the scooter which will be waiting there and head to lunch. Or we could take the wheelchair (smaller than the scooter). Your responses are encouraging. I was thinking of getting to the ship between 11:00 and 11:30.

The ship embarks in Manhattan and we are taking a car service from Jersey. Our options are to eat at home before we leave or on the ship. Not practical for us to enjoy lunch in the City with our suitcases and me pushing a wheelchair.

So looking forward to the more sedate atmosphere you all have been describing on your posts and meeting some great fellow travelers. Can’t wait for that first glass of bubbly, a lounge chair and view of the sea!

One thing to keep in mind, although you can board at 11 it doesn't necessarily mean your suite will be ready by that time. There are a lot of suites, if you let us know which one then I'm we could give you an idea of when it will be ready. The top suites are available first, then in descending order.

Well, you can't get more "top" than that! I must say that we were in an owner's suite on Regatta 12 years ago when I was using a wheelchair due to having just torn my meniscus the day before boarding. (How fortunate that I'd taken advantage of a last minute upsell offer to the OS from a PH.)

The suite was large enough that I could get around inside it in the wheelchair. I couldn't have done that in the PH we'd originally booked.

Welcome aboard.

Mura

I would take the scooter he will have more freedom & you will not have to push him around ;)

That said go at the time you planned if the scooter is being delivered just ask where it will be when you board they may have it close to the embarkation level

They do the OS first so should not be a problem dropping your carry ons just stick them in the closet out of sight

we have been on B2B & stayed onboard

when new people arrive it is not too crazy until about 12:30 pm & onward

Enjoy the cruise

Thank you all so much for the info and, importantly, your encouragement.

I often hesitate to say we are in a higher suite. Seems on the Celebrity board some passengers had negative comments about people in suites and those in scooters. Because of my husband’s situation we do spend a lot of time in our room. Husband would go stir crazy even in PH I think. Considered a Vista but was concerned the balcony would be too windy to use when at sea, and we use our balcony a lot. Hence the OS. :D Life is short, may as well enjoy. Seems cruising is our only travel option these days. Thank goodness we live close to some ports.

Waves grill is going to be much easier to negotiate and after ordering you get table service. You could always pop into The Terrace to get anything else you fancy, or I am sure the waiting staff will be more than happy to help. We boarded around 1.30 on Marina and had no problems finding a vacant table at Waves. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Waves is a great idea! It is outside, but sheltered, and chairs and tables can easily be moved for him.

You can place the grill order and it will be delivered to your table.

You two could also go by the buffet lines in Terrace and decide what you might like and then he could go on to Waves to a table and you bring the food.

Again, get help from one of the circulating wait staff and tell them that he is out at Waves--you will even see table #s out there and they can bring his food.

Waves has a bar, he can see the pool, people walk by--there is a lot going on so he might be comfortable there as well as one of the lounge chairs in the shade.

Welcome to O!

Waves may be less crazy than the Terrace. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. They have a steak and lobster burger thing that people rave about... also other sandwiches from the grill.

Yes Waves may be less hectic and you can always bring food from Terrrace out to Waves, staff will help.

Many have suggested that the wait staff will help you, and I want to second or fifth that. They are wonderfully helpful.

On our first Oceania cruise (after 3 on Renaissance) my mother was with us. She was suffering from the beginnings of Alzheimers although she hadn't yet been officially diagnosed. (We suspected but didn't know for sure.)

She would go into Terrace for breakfast before we met her and the waiters took immaculate care of her.

After 17 cruises we have always found the crew to be friendly and helpful.

Mura

We now always eat lunch ashore on embarkment day. Enjoy the local cuisine made from fresh local produce.

Lunch onboard ship that day is a circus. Unless you’re in something higher than a PH you won’t have access to your cabin until around 13:00. That means both you and the hordes are dragging their hand carry on with them everywhere. I’ve seen some have difficulties dragging the multiple bags, backpacks, et. al. up the stairs! Seats are taken, aisles are blocked with carry ons! The available space in the Terrace on R ships is very limited under best of conditions. On embarkment day it’s a zoo. The O ships are a bit better but we still far more enjoy the relaxed casual atmosphere of eating local cuisine ashore to that scene aboard ship. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy ship food during the cruise.

Just because you can Board early at 11:00, doesn’t mean that many others that have boarding times at 13:00, and that can’t get into their cabins until 14:00 or later, won’t be there trying to board with you!

How strict is Oceania about boarding times (my apologies for the digression)? My boarding documents say 1pm, but on other cruiselines we regularly board by 11am with no difficulties regardless of cabin type.

We don't care about when the room is available and bring no hand luggage anyway really to speak of- we just want to be onboard enjoying the ship and squeezing out every moment of vacation! :) I'd just rather know if we can do it so that we don't spend two hours waiting in the terminal if they are strict about the times.

How strict is Oceania about boarding times (my apologies for the digression)? My boarding documents say 1pm, but on other cruiselines we regularly board by 11am with no difficulties regardless of cabin type.

We don't care about when the room is available and bring no hand luggage anyway really to speak of- we just want to be onboard enjoying the ship and squeezing out every moment of vacation! :) I'd just rather know if we can do it so that we don't spend two hours waiting in the terminal if they are strict about the times.

Some ports they will not let you board early

I would spend the time in the city & head to the port about 1pm

Usually Suites guest can board early 11 am I think the rest will sit in the building waiting

It all depends on how many people are waiting to board when you arrive. It could be likely that it's light, in which case they will tell you to go ahead.

Some years ago we encountered a couple we'd met the day before (precruise) who were waiting to board. We were boarding at our time (we were in a PH), and so I told them to come with us. (Little did I know they were in a lower cabin and that's why they were waiting!)

They followed us and we all went to Terrace. But this couple was concerned about their friends who theoretically had been just behind them. They hit the brick wall -- Terrace was now full, so they didn't show up for another half hour or more.

There are plenty of regulars here like Pinot who don't bother with lunch on board, or who prefer to spend time touring on boarding day. (This can especially be true if the departure is late.) So you just won't know until you try.

Good luck!

Mura

I understand that the only restaurants open for embarkation lunch are Waves and Terrace on Insignia. There are no ‘sit down and be served’ restaurants open.

This will be our first Oceana cruise. Most of our other cruises have been on Celebrity in a suite, and so were able to have a less hectic embarkation lunch in Luminae.

My husband is a double amputee and uses a scooter to get around the ship. We’ve learned that Celebrity’s buffet was usually too hectic for him to navigate in a scooter and so we’ve avoided it.

I’m wondering if it will be too crowded and hectic for lunch on insignia that first day? We are in a suite and so can board as early as 11:00 am. Should we plan on eating lunch on shore and board latter, or will he be able to maneuver the buffet from his scooter. Alternatively, could he wait at a table while I get a plate for him?

Thanks in advance to all you experienced Oceana cruisers. I’ve learned a lot from your posts!

So hectic on the Terrace, but if you get there early and if you get a plate for him it will be O.K. The turkey is the best that day, but they also have prime rib.

It's a kind of a "it depends" answer. Oceania policy seems to be to take the categories scheduled first and if there is no line, to allow any others waiting to go ahead a board. Having said that Oceania does not control local passport and other screening concerns in foreign ports nor do they have control over the space available to them. We usually arrive early for the reasons you state. In Miami we have arrived early and waited maybe 20-30 minutes while Oceania staff called out for a descending order of boarding categories - actually quite fair and efficient. In Barcelona we simple walked straight in. In Sydney there was a big delay for everyone caused by the Australians.

Odds are you can board early but may have to wait a few minutes.

Good luck and enjoy! Robbie