Transportation options for a 'later' beach visit - Horseshoe Bay July 2018

msec

We are heading to Bermuda in a few weeks on NCL Escape - and would like to visit Horseshoe Bay later in the day after a tour excursion we have booked. I would like to head over to Horseshoe Bay around 4:00pm and would like to stay until maybe 7:00pm or so if possible ... and I have a few questions -

Is Horseshoe Bay "open" that late or does it close at a certain time?

Will we be able to get a taxi there at 4:00pm from the Dockyard ? I am not sure how late the Taxis are avail at the Dockyard.

Will be able to get a taxi from Horseshoe Bay at 7:00pm or so? Again - I am not sure how late taxis are avail at Horseshoe Bay...

If taxis are not an option for that time of day - is Uber or Lyft avail on Bermuda? would that be an option?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!! :D

We are heading to Bermuda in a few weeks on NCL Escape - and would like to visit Horseshoe Bay later in the day after a tour excursion we have booked. I would like to head over to Horseshoe Bay around 4:00pm and would like to stay until maybe 7:00pm or so if possible ... and I have a few questions -

Is Horseshoe Bay "open" that late or does it close at a certain time?

Will we be able to get a taxi there at 4:00pm from the Dockyard ? I am not sure how late the Taxis are avail at the Dockyard.

Will be able to get a taxi from Horseshoe Bay at 7:00pm or so? Again - I am not sure how late taxis are avail at Horseshoe Bay...

If taxis are not an option for that time of day - is Uber or Lyft avail on Bermuda? would that be an option?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!! [emoji3]

You would be able to get a taxi at 4:00 at the Dockyard to get to Horseshoe but Horseshoe Bay winds down at 5:00-5:30. You can still go there after that but the chair rentals won’t be available. It will be pretty quiet. I don’t know how late the beach bar stays open. You could email them at info@rumbumbeachbar.com if you want their hours. I have not been there at 7:00pm but taxis probably won’t be readily available. You could ask the taxi driver who drops you off to come back at 7:00 but that has not been dependable in Bermuda. There is no Uber or Lyft but there is a taxi dispatch app called Hitch. You can use it to have a taxi dispatched. Or call a taxi dispatching company.

Edited by Charles4515

In addition to the recent history of cancellations mentioned even if there were no cancellations the buses are on a limited schedule to the Dockyard in the evening. An hour or more between buses. Leaving at 7:00 pm would not be a bus option. A bus that goes all the way to the Dockyard leaves Hamilton at 5:30 and the next Dockyard bus leaves Hamilton at 7:15. Figure about 30 minutes from leaving Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay.

How about renting a Twizy? I don't know the first thing about them, but I've seen posts on them. It's another option if they don't have to be returned by 7.

Not an option that makes sense. You'd have to pay for a full day ($100 plus $30 for insurance) when you only need it for a couple of hours, and you would have to pick the car up in Hamilton.

We are thinking of using the Rum Bum as our home base for the day. Hows the location, and quality of the rental chairs and umbrellas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The Rum Bum is just the name for the snack bar/bar/rental concession. There's no choice at Horseshoe Bay...it's the only one. It's fine...great beach, can be crowded...chairs and umbrellas fine.

We are thinking of using the Rum Bum as our home base for the day. Hows the location, and quality of the rental chairs and umbrellas?

As mentioned that is the name of the concession. They are the only ones who can rent chairs and umbrellas. They will place the chairs anywhere on the beach. Even on the less crowded far end. The chairs and umbrellas are good quality. Since they took over the concession they have been purchasing very nice and comfortable chairs.

So...if we rent our chairs and umbrella in the morning, then disappear for a couple of hours to walk/explore, will they still be there when we get back? I know they run out of chairs, so I hate to wait until after our walk.

I would leave some personal items on the chairs to indicate you are coming back. My choice - old Tshirts slipped over the back of the chair (like the chair is wearing the shirt), and I tie the two chairs together with a sarong. Nothing that will blow away, roll away, or be interesting for other people to take.

So...if we rent our chairs and umbrella in the morning, then disappear for a couple of hours to walk/explore, will they still be there when we get back? I know they run out of chairs, so I hate to wait until after our walk.

I can’t seem to find it now, grr.....but in response to a recent inquiry to them the Rum Rum Bar concessionaires at Horseshoe stated that they have received a shipment of additional chairs and umbrellas and won’t run out.

Thanks JFontaine and Charles. I think I will still leave something old on the chairs anyway. I wouldn't want them collected as if we left.

Every time I have left my towels, beach bag and sun screen on the chairs, gone off for an hour or two exploring at some point in the day and none bothered the stuff. Also they now they put out the chairs, umbrellas, and leave all the chairs out that they put out. They would even put them out for me at the other end of the beach. I gave them a tip for setting me up that far from the facilities. They collect the chairs and umbrellas from the beach starting at 5:00.

Edited by Charles4515

We were there a few weeks back and we left at 5 and definitely Horseshoe Bay facilities were closing down. We had no trouble catching a taxi back to the Dockyard. I would so encourage to definitely take the time to go to Horseshoe Bay. We walked down the beach line as far as we could and it is breath takingly beautiful. A Bermuda jewel. Below is a shot we took that to me captures some of its beauty. Enjoy !!! d194950c6801bd945fac6565a4c312bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums