How crazy is lunch on embarkation day

Westyone

Besides Australia where I don’t recommend showing up , is Athens. There one has to pass through a gate to get into harbor area. Our cab got to that gate and the gate guards were checking cruise documents. There where two other cruise ships in the harbor. We got there at 3:30 , with 1:00 boarding times and were waved through. Once aboard we learned that others attempting to board early were turned away at that gate. They weren’t allowed in until their documented boarding time. If they had foolishly gotten out of the cab to wait along the sidewalks, it was at least a kilometer to get to the ship from the gate.

One never knows before hand what the rules are. I’d vote to abide by your boarding document.

Besides Australia where I don’t recommend showing up , is Athens. There one has to pass through a gate to get into harbor area. Our cab got to that gate and the gate guards were checking cruise documents. There where two other cruise ships in the harbor. We got there at 3:30 , with 1:00 boarding times and were waved through. Once aboard we learned that others attempting to board early were turned away at that gate. They weren’t allowed in until their documented boarding time. If they had foolishly gotten out of the cab to wait along the sidewalks, it was at least a kilometer to get to the ship from the gate.

One never knows before hand what the rules are. I’d vote to abide by your boarding document.

Have others experienced this in Athens? Our flight arrives at 9:00am, boarding time would be 1:00pm. My plan was to head to the port early (11 ish) and just wait in the terminal until we were allowed to board.

If we can not even get in the gate, then the only option I can see is to waste 3 hours in the Athens airport.....

I believe I mentioned earlier (perhaps on this thread) that we used George's Taxi to transfer to the ship. In that case we'd spent a few days in Athens, so they picked us up at our hotel and gave us a tour of the area before taking us to the ship. They were able to drive us right in at the port. This WAS a number of years ago so perhaps they couldn't do that today.

But a tour is one way to use the time efficiently. In our case it was economical because we shared the tour with another couple. It's not so easy to arrange that when you are flying in, unless there is someone else on your Roll Call who would be interested in sharing a tour and transfer from the airport.

Mura

There are also a number of restaurants, cafes and shops in Piraeus, the port town. One would still want a cab to get all the way to the ship, it’s a large port!

I do not remember the (a) Terminal bldg there or if it was only a tent.

Definitely buildings at all 3 terminals...

http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-passenger-terminals

As far as just going to the port town of Piraeus to kill 3 hours. Not an option with the luggage.

If security is checking documentation to enter the port area, how does the x96 bus work?? There would be people not just going on the cruise ships but also the ferries.

I understand that the only restaurants open for embarkation lunch are Waves and Terrace on Insignia. There are no ‘sit down and be served’ restaurants open.

This will be our first Oceana cruise. Most of our other cruises have been on Celebrity in a suite, and so were able to have a less hectic embarkation lunch in Luminae.

My husband is a double amputee and uses a scooter to get around the ship. We’ve learned that Celebrity’s buffet was usually too hectic for him to navigate in a scooter and so we’ve avoided it.

I’m wondering if it will be too crowded and hectic for lunch on insignia that first day? We are in a suite and so can board as early as 11:00 am. Should we plan on eating lunch on shore and board latter, or will he be able to maneuver the buffet from his scooter. Alternatively, could he wait at a table while I get a plate for him?

Thanks in advance to all you experienced Oceana cruisers. I’ve learned a lot from your posts!

After numerous experiences I eat ashore and skip the chow fest. To be frank on all ships and lines not just Oceania its a "feeding frenzy" people driven by greed trying to get as much as soon as possible

The Germans have a word "Fressing".

The Buffest on O ships are quite sophisticate and much higher in quality and choice than Celeberity but the animal instinct comes out in the vast majority.

I board at my leisure after 3 pm and sit by the pool and sip a soda I suggest skipping the initial frenzy and enjoying the ship and life... You will get plenty of food during your cruise. In fact I normally only eat Breakfast and dinner, lunch is a bit over the top as you may discover.

After 3 comes the Cabin frenzy... Everything smooths out by dinner at 6 and smoothing out 600- passengers is way easier than 3000 on celeb.....

I agree with Dan! My choice of drink may be different :evilsmile: but same concept.

Also things smooth out after everyone is released from the mandatory safety drill which may end after 6:00.

We don’t do Specialties on embarkment day, but if one must, I wouldn’t recommend a 6:30 slot, otherwise you’ll be going to the evacuation drill in your finer attire.

If security is checking documentation to enter the port area, how does the x96 bus work?? There would be people not just going on the cruise ships but also the ferries.

There is a fence between the street where the x96 runs and the piers, with entrance through various dock gates. Cruise Terminal A in Piraeus is at Gate 11, and the lesser-used Cruise Terminal B is at Gate 12. The ferries are at the lower-numbered gates further inside the harbor.

We got from the airport to the dock in Hong Kong at about 10:15am and hoped to check our luggage and then wander around until our boarding time at 1pm. They took our luggage and directed us to the ship, where our documents were checked at the front desk on the ship. Easiest embarkation ever. You just never know.

There is a fence between the street where the x96 runs and the piers, with entrance through various dock gates. Cruise Terminal A in Piraeus is at Gate 11, and the lesser-used Cruise Terminal B is at Gate 12. The ferries are at the lower-numbered gates further inside the harbor.

Thanks, that helps explain it. I also looked at a map which shows the x96 stop and where the terminal buildings are located. Looks like quite a haul, and you still need to get past the gate security.

We've only been on one Oceania cruise so far (Barcelona to Rome in October 2016 on Riviera). We mainly used the GDR and speciality restaurants, but also Waves Grill four times when we had the surf and turf ciabatta every time (Fillet steak and lobster - wonderful). The food is brought to your table. You can order it at the grill counter, but I think they also took our order from the table, ie waiter service. And in the Terrace Cafe, which we used a couple of times to save time, although you choose your food at the counter (and it is served to you), the waiting staff are very eager to help and will carry your plate to a table for you (I do have mild walking difficulties due to arthritic knees). In fact I would say the service is excellent everywhere. Plenty of staff who are very keen to provide good service. Looking forward to our second Oceania cruise in September on Nautica, cruising around our own British Isles.

We met a lovely English family at breakfast in the GDR on Oceania's Riviera. An elderly gentleman started talking to us about football, a subject neither my husband or I are experts on. His daughter advised us that he was talking about football from 20 years ago - he had Alzheimers and although he thoroughly enjoyed cruising, he wouldn't remember anything about it after he went home.

We've only been on one Oceania cruise so far (Barcelona to Rome in October 2016 on Riviera). We mainly used the GDR and speciality restaurants, but also Waves Grill four times when we had the surf and turf ciabatta every time (Fillet steak and lobster - wonderful). The food is brought to your table. You can order it at the grill counter, but I think they also took our order from the table, ie waiter service. And in the Terrace Cafe, which we used a couple of times to save time, although you choose your food at the counter (and it is served to you), the waiting staff are very eager to help and will carry your plate to a table for you (I do have mild walking difficulties due to arthritic knees). In fact I would say the service is excellent everywhere. Plenty of staff who are very keen to provide good service. Looking forward to our second Oceania cruise in September on Nautica, cruising around our own British Isles.

In fairness, you are describing what happens AFTER embarkation. and is in no way what happens during the Terrace buffet at Embarkation time !!!

. In my experience Waves is closed on embarkation day but they use the seating area for overflow from the Terrace and Terrace ONLY.

During embarkation ALL available staff from stewards to waiters are hustling with loading luggage and stores. This is the reason they serve a buffet with minimum manning..and service Only the Waves Bar is open for drinks.......

In fairness, you are describing what happens AFTER embarkation. and is in no way what happens during the Terrace buffet at Embarkation time !!!

. In my experience Waves is closed on embarkation day but they use the seating area for overflow from the Terrace and Terrace ONLY.

During embarkation ALL available staff from stewards to waiters are hustling with loading luggage and stores. This is the reason they serve a buffet with minimum manning..and service Only the Waves Bar is open for drinks.......

When we embarked in October last year we ate at Waves and it was open fully for business. I wonder if something has changed since then? This was on Marina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In six Oceania cruises...both R and O class ships.. I have never experienced Waves closed for lunch on embarkation day or any other day.

When we embarked in October last year we ate at Waves and it was open fully for business. I wonder if something has changed since then? This was on Marina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think someone is confused

Waves has always been open on Embarkation day in our experiences