Grand Princess Airport Transfers in San Francisco

mdpseattle

I really did try searching for this answer, both on the forums here and on the princess site, but couldn't find any information.

How do the cruise transfers work and cost? Is it possible to just purchase the transfer to SFO? I'd take UBER from SFO to the pier, but wondering on the disembarkation transfers.

Thanks!

If you prefer Uber, or a taxi, there is absolutely no shortage of availability at the port on disembarking.

I'll let those with more experience get into the details, but Princess transfers can be purchased through the website in advance or on board. Disembarkation time is assigned based on flight time. I don't know the exact cost, but it's not outrageous compared with the alternatives. (Except BART, which is usually much cheaper, but involves a mile-plus walk from the pier to the station.)

I really did try searching for this answer, both on the forums here and on the princess site, but couldn't find any information.

How do the cruise transfers work and cost? Is it possible to just purchase the transfer to SFO? I'd take UBER from SFO to the pier, but wondering on the disembarkation transfers.

Thanks!

Cabs, Uber, Lyft are all available. We have successfully used Super Shuttle as well. We stopped using the Princess transfers in the US after experiencing significant wait delays.

Thanks!

The cost of cruise transfers for Princess cruises vary by the port with some ports costing more, others less. (For example, $24/person in Seattle while it was quite a bit more in Houston from Geo. Bush to the the pier as I remember because it was much further.) Yes, you can purvhase just in one direction depending on your needs/wants. Whether it is worth taking one mode of trans. or not (e.g. Uber, taxi, cruise line shuttle, other type shuttle, etc.) or not depends on the mind of the traveler. Being able to have your bags handled by others vice having to handle them yourselves may or may not be worth the extra cost to the traveler.

Tom

Go with Uber both ways...the cost of the transfer is exorbitant by comparison, especially if you have a bunch of folks. Hell...take the F Muni or Uber to Embarcadero and take Bart (if you have manageable luggage). That would be the most economical trip (but take some effort).

We are on the Grand next week, and will be taking a $10 Bart trip to the Embarcadero station, followed by a twenty minute walk to Pier 27. Our luggage is very manageable and we are able bodied, so this was the best solution for us.

We live just south of San Francisco International Airport... since we live near the port we take what ever luggage we want and a taxi (we have some small local taxi services that we enjoy, that are very reliable) back and forth. Generally costs us about $120 including tip each way... worth it to us. We do the same when we are in Europe... have spent a lot more there.. so it really depends on how independent and how much you value your own comfort., whether this is a good deal.

I hate to say this, being a local, using the local subway (BART) from SFO to the San Francisco and back to the airport is not that great... when you get to downtown San Francisco you have to deal with drug addicts and homeless people camping out in the BART stations. Wasn't always like this, but lately a lot in news on this issue. I use to take BART to work daily 20 years ago and it was a pleasant experience; I avoid it now given the current situation.

We’re staying in Fisherman’s Wharf pre cruise and someone stated for a couple in our party to Uber/taxi to the port with our luggage, and for the rest to walk to the Embarcadero. Would you say this is a safe option? FYI, we do have 3 teens in our party of seven.

We plan to use Super Shuttle from the airport to our hotel and also from the ship to the airport after our disembarkation.

We’re staying in Fisherman’s Wharf pre cruise and someone stated for a couple in our party to Uber/taxi to the port with our luggage, and for the rest to walk to the Embarcadero. Would you say this is a safe option? FYI, we do have 3 teens in our party of seven.

We plan to use Super Shuttle from the airport to our hotel and also from the ship to the airport after our disembarkation.

We cruised out of San Francisco in Feb and stayed at Fisherman's Wharf. We walked a block from hotel and picked up trolley to the pier. About 2 miles or so. Thought this was a nice way to go there.

The walk from Fisherman's Wharf to the Cruise Terminal is less than a mile. You (and your kids) will be fine, and you will enjoy some spectacular views of the Bay. Bring a jacket.

I recently added the R/T transfers from SFO to the pier for my upcoming cruise. As I recall, they were $58 pp. Not sure about taxi, uber rates, but we thought this was our easiest choice.

OP, I’d recommend one-way Princess transfers from the pier to SFO. Saves a lot of hassle and worry, and I’m always exhausted at the end of a cruise and not necessarily thinking straight. You can purchase through your Cruise Personalizer under Travel Arrangements, scroll down to Transfers, and select “post cruise transfer.” Or just call Princess.

We always get the Princess transfer at the end of the cruise, its done, its taken care of and we just walk off the ship and onto a bus. We don't do it pre-cruise because we normally come in early and make our own arrangements to the pier.

The walk from Fisherman's Wharf to the Cruise Terminal is less than a mile. You (and your kids) will be fine, and you will enjoy some spectacular views of the Bay. Bring a jacket.

Thanks for the reassurance. We are from the U.K., so we don’t go anywhere without a rain jacket and umbrella ;p.

You can sign up and pre pay for the Princess transfer ahead of time. DH and I usually do that because there are no worries as they know what flight and time you are suppose to be arriving as you put that information in the Cruise personalizer. You also put in when your leaving and that's how they manage your disembarkation off the ship.

We prefer to do it through Princess and we feel comfortable doing it that way. To each his own. I think last time from LA airport it cost $39 each way. They took our luggage ahead of us and all we had to deal with was our carry on. Very large comfortable bus. Getting off the ship, they direct you to where the busses are, ask which airline and point you to a bus. They take your large suitcases and put them underneath. Next stop, airport!

I would not hesitate for a moment to do this. In fact, in spite of what Elliair says, we always walk south of the Pier to the BART station and take BART home to the East Bay. Yes, you do see some homeless people and drug users but the walk along the Embarcadero is beautiful (in nice weather, of course) and will be full of local business people, joggers, tourists, etc. I have never felt unsafe there.

Thanks for the reassurance. We are from the U.K., so we don’t go anywhere without a rain jacket and umbrella ;p.

San Francisco is a beautiful city... take a taxi ride around it and you will enjoy and stay safer.

We just got off the Grand early this month. We had thought about getting transfers to SFO as we live very close to the airport, but we did not. We ended up wishing we had.

For us, it was traffic. The amount of time it took to go one block on Embarcadero and through the Pier's parking lot was ridiculous, both going and coming home. We were glad a family member was driving; it would have driven me crazy if a meter were running in a cab the whole time.

When trying to get into the port for the beginning of the cruise, we asked why we were not moving and were told the line of cars was being held because they were behind on handling luggage. This made the line of cars extend all the way into Embarcadero, back for at least a complete block including through a traffic light. Those that walked up or were in a bus that made it to the lot entry were allowed to go without waiting. Meaning more luggage to catch up on.

If I were to take a cab, I'd do a bit more research and find a place a block or two (or three!) away to be dropped off and walk the rest of the way.

I don't know if Lyft or Uber charge for time or only distance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Grand early this month. We had thought about getting transfers to SFO as we live very close to the airport, but we did not. We ended up wishing we had.

For us, it was traffic. The amount of time it took to go one block on Embarcadero and through the Pier's parking lot was ridiculous, both going and coming home. We were glad a family member was driving; it would have driven me crazy if a meter were running in a cab the whole time.

When trying to get into the port for the beginning of the cruise, we asked why we were not moving and were told the line of cars was being held because they were behind on handling luggage. This made the line of cars extend all the way into Embarcadero, back for at least a complete block including through a traffic light. Those that walked up or were in a bus that made it to the lot entry were allowed to go without waiting. Meaning more luggage to catch up on.

If I were to take a cab, I'd do a bit more research and find a place a block or two (or three!) away to be dropped off and walk the rest of the way.

We go early to the port and get off early as well this beats the worse of the traffic issue... location of the port make traffic challenges unpredictable at best. I don't know how lyft or uber charge I use only local taxis.

Interesting. We Lyfted in super early and got through the line and into the port really quickly. We spent the morning on Lido deck working on our laptops and got off the ship last and exited without any traffic difficulty.

We are on the Grand next week, and will be taking a $10 Bart trip to the Embarcadero station, followed by a twenty minute walk to Pier 27. Our luggage is very manageable and we are able bodied, so this was the best solution for us.

Question just out of curiousity. If you are paying for the cruise and it is some monies, why not take the easiest way to the port as the cost differential will be minimal considering the entire cost of your trip?

Pooh

Question just out of curiousity. If you are paying for the cruise and it is some monies, why not take the easiest way to the port as the cost differential will be minimal considering the entire cost of your trip?

Pooh

Honestly having grown up in SF and having sailed from here, his route via BART may be the quickest and easiest. Traffic into the city, followed by the jams at the pier make for some occasional very long waits. I find walking the Embarcadero a pleasure and I use BARTto the city for ballgames, the theater, etc on a regular basis. Rolling down a wide sidewalk is a snap. Plus it gets me ready for lunch.:D

Pooh

As a local as long as everything luggage wise is manageable I can easily get on board the BART train (see what I did there?). Unfortunately, we would have to take BART, then a Bus, and then need a pickup from the bus area. We considered talking to the ferry terminal and taking the ferry to Vallejo and that would have saved money as well, but it requires planning around only a handful of departure times. But if I lived near a BART station I'd definitely consider using that without flinching.

Pooh

It has little to do with cost. If your pre/post cruise arrangements result in having easy access to public transportation between the two points--whether openly planned that way or not--then that is the right decision to make. Or the decision just falls in your lap readymade for you, such as when I just disembarked in Vancouver: I was planning on paying for the luggage ship service to YVR, then hanging around the waterfront until my 2:45 flight. The line was so long it would have cut my free time by more than half, so I just dragged my two cases + laptop bag to a very early lunch then on the Skytrain to the airport. So the luck of available public transport save me CA$40. Negligible savings for my three week Alaska trip, but the right move nonetheless.