Info About Red Hook Pier

23golf

We are flying into NYC early 1 November to sail on the Regal for 10 days departing from Red Hook. Can anyone tell us how early the ship accepts luggage for our cruise? And, how far would we have to go from the pier to buy wine?

We are flying into NYC early 1 November to sail on the Regal for 10 days departing from Red Hook. Can anyone tell us how early the ship accepts luggage for our cruise? And, how far would we have to go from the pier to buy wine?

This is a wild but educated guess...that luggage will be accepted in the 10:30-11:00 timeframe.

Note that wine must be in your carry-on luggage, so if you board to leave your carryon you cannot leave the ship to get wine unless you want to pay the upcharge.

Suggest stopping for wine on the way to the ship.

This is a wild but educated guess...that luggage will be accepted in the 10:30-11:00 timeframe.

Note that wine must be in your carry-on luggage, so if you board to leave your carryon you cannot leave the ship to get wine unless you want to pay the upcharge.

Suggest stopping for wine on the way to the ship.

I'm guessing the OP is looking to drop off their luggage, keeping their carryon, go somewhere to buy wine and then return to the pier to check-in. However, I could be wrong. ;)

You might be better off using Google to locate a wine store and then on the way to the pier from the airport have your taxi, Uber or limo driver stop there before dropping you off. Of course if you're using a shuttle or Princess transfer that won't work.

Good luck and enjoy the Regal. It's a great ship.

Red Hook is not the best place to walk around or buy wine.

Totally agree. It is an industrial area that used to be the location of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

The suggestion of having the driver ( cab,Uber, limo) stop on your route,for wine purchases ,from the airport to the pier is reasonable.

As a native NYC person, I would not be walking around the area near the pier.

Red Hook terminal’s neighborhood is not Port Everglades or Port Canaveral or Miami.

Totally agree. It is an industrial area that used to be the location of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Sorry, the Brooklyn Navy Yard was north of the Manhattan Bridge. Quite some distance from the Red Hook docks.

There is a street not far from terminal that has restaurants , bars, and a couple of liquor stores.

Those liquor stores are not like you see at home. You walk into a reception area. There is a closed cage and behind it is where the person working there remains.The liquor is also in an enclosed with iron bars room. People tell them what they want and they get it and you pay . We went there and couldn't see the wines offered. I guess we looked honest. Attendant opened a door and let us inside the enclosed see through back room area.

When we came out with our wines, the locals waiting in line seemed very surprised we were let in. We were there night before cruise staying at a close by hotel. The Pizza restaurant was really good.

I am originally a Brooklyn resident so I guess my fear level not high but always cautious of my surroundings.

I had never been to Red Hook before that cruise.

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. It looks like the best thing to do is ask our driver to make a stop. I presume there are drug and/or grocery stores on our way where we could make a quick stop.

Sorry, the Brooklyn Navy Yard was north of the Manhattan Bridge. Quite some distance from the Red Hook docks.

Thank you for the correction.

Referencing the Brooklyn Nnavy Yard though could give someone not familiar with the Red Hook area an idea that the stretch of terminal space nearby the Princess terminal is not one that has been,for lack of a better term, gentrified.

Red Hook terminal’s neighborhood is not Port Everglades or Port Canaveral or Miami.

You mean we won’t get mugged and physically assaulted, like what happened to us in Miami, right across from Bayside? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. It looks like the best thing to do is ask our driver to make a stop. I presume there are drug and/or grocery stores on our way where we could make a quick stop.

There are Bodegas (sp) in Red Hook. Very limited selection. They are not allowed to sell wine.

You mean we won’t get mugged and physically assaulted, like what happened to us in Miami, right across from Bayside? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haha - great reply. People just don't realize that New York is the safest large metroplis in the U.S. - the crime rate per resident is lower than the national average.

Brooklyn is just another great part of NYC.

The suggestion of having the driver ( cab,Uber, limo) stop on your route,for wine purchases ,from the airport to the pier is reasonable.

As a native NYC person, I would not be walking around the area near the pier.

As a native New Yorker as well,. I am giving you an amen on your posting.

Am LOL about New Yorkers warning about Red Hook. True that its not the best neighborhood in Brooklyn but its fine to walk around during the daytime, especially when there is a ship in port. There is a couple of places that sell wine located within a few blocks. Just Google "Red Hook NYC wine" and you can pull up a map. Be warned that these places do not open before noon. Some folks would be shocked to know that they do sell more than Pink Ripple and Thunderbird in Red Hook :).

Hank

P.S. Born in NYC and proud of it!

At the end of Sept. (on a Saturday), our ship scheduled to arrive at 5 a.m. at the Red Hook pier and we plan to disembark as soon as allowed. From the pier, we need to get to Canal St. (N.Y. Chinatown) by 7:30 a.m. to meet up with a tour group for our 8-day land tour. There will be four of us with four 28" luggage.

Anyone knows how far and how long it will take us to get to Canal St. by car? Is taxi easily available at that early hour? Will a taxi be able to take 4 adults and 4 big luggage? About how much will it cost?

My friend suggested us to take Uber or Lyft. I have never used those services and wonder if they are easily available during the early hours? And about how much will it cost?

Thank you.

At the end of Sept. (on a Saturday), our ship scheduled to arrive at 5 a.m. at the Red Hook pier and we plan to disembark as soon as allowed. From the pier, we need to get to Canal St. (N.Y. Chinatown) by 7:30 a.m. to meet up with a tour group for our 8-day land tour. There will be four of us with four 28" luggage.

Anyone knows how far and how long it will take us to get to Canal St. by car? Is taxi easily available at that early hour? Will a taxi be able to take 4 adults and 4 big luggage? About how much will it cost?

My friend suggested us to take Uber or Lyft. I have never used those services and wonder if they are easily available during the early hours? And about how much will it cost?

Thank you.

Seems like you will be on the Regal NE/Canada...disembarking. Just because the "schedule" says it arrives at 5am, doesn't mean you will be disembarking then. I would pretty much think the CBP people don't arrive much before 7am (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong) which means the earliest walk off would be around then. The gathering your belongings, group together. I would say you are pushing it for a 7:30 meet up.

As a native New Yorker as well,. I am giving you an amen on your posting.

Thank you.

NYC and the outer boroughs are comprised of neighborhoods. Some of those neighborhoods are fine and some are not so.

I did not want the OP, who is apparently from California or any other traveler who may be unfamiliar with Red Hook ,to think that it was as tourist friendly as for example, midtown Manhattan.

Certainly, people can be accosted in any neighborhood.

It takes some street smarts and awareness of one’s surroundings to navigate unfamiliar areas while visiting an unfamiliar place.

The area around the Princess terminal in Red Hook is not the same as the area nearby the Port Everglades terminal, for example.

There are no Publix,Walgreens, ABC Liquors , Embassy Suites, Marriott or Hilton’s in the immediate area.

Hoping the OP enjoys the Princess cruise.

It is unfortunate that this person could not take a few days to explore NYC and / or Brooklyn before boarding the ship.

I have travelled to many cities,both in the US and Europe, but I continue to believe that NYC is the best city I have experienced.

From early days when my parents would take me on the subway from Queens to enjoy “the city”until now in my retirement years, NYC has always been a special place for me.

How do you know you are departing from Brooklyn and not Manhattan?

How do you know you are departing from Brooklyn and not Manhattan?

With very few exceptions, Princess ships embarking and disembarking in NYC do so from Red Hook. The rare times Princess ships dock in Manhattan will usually be when NYC is a port within an itinerary. As a matter of fact, our 2017 TA on the Regal we were rerouted due to Hurricane Jose and arrived back in NYC one day early. We docked in Manhattan on Saturday and moved to Red Hook in the middle of the night.

Our first sailing out of Red Hook was in 2011. We stayed at the Sheraton on Duffield st. Yes, at first all the people in close proximity was a bit overwhelming, especially when school let out. We walked the Brooklyn Bridge that first time, then our next few cruises we stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, where there were supermarkets and liquor stores a couple of blocks away, did the Promenade, found a couple of nice restaurants. Then the hotel arranged for a car to take us to the port. I just kept my coat pockets empty and carried my purse inside my coat.......

Thank you.

Canal St. is just over the Manhattan Bridge, maybe 5 miles away. However, disembarking and getting a car service leaves very little time.