Southampton taxi

I will be debarking the Crown Princess in Southampton and going to be boarding the P&O Aurora. Do I need to reserve a taxi or will there be plenty available to get me to the port where I board the Aurora. Thank You.

Taxi's will be lined up just waiting for you. You will have to stand in line. Last time we were there I got out of line to ask one of the taxi cab drivers if they took credit cards since the older gentleman that was directing you to a taxi couldn't answer my question. I didn't want to wait in the line if I needed to go back to the terminal to get some cash. When I started walking back to the line he started yelling at me for talking to the taxi cab driver. He had some very unkind things to say about Americans. His supervisor stepped in and told him to calm down. Not a great first impression landing in Southampton. I laugh about it now. BTW the taxi cab driver I talked with said he didn't take credit cards. Still not sure if it was just that one cab or if all do not take them.

Just another interesting story to tell.:)

We disembarked the Sapphire in May at around 8.30am - plenty of taxis available, no lines.

Whilst taxis are very easy, the distance will be a function of which terminals the two ships use.

Check with Southampton VTS a few days before to discover which terminals you need to move between.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taxi's will be lined up just waiting for you. You will have to stand in line. Last time we were there I got out of line to ask one of the taxi cab drivers if they took credit cards since the older gentleman that was directing you to a taxi couldn't answer my question. I didn't want to wait in the line if I needed to go back to the terminal to get some cash. When I started walking back to the line he started yelling at me for talking to the taxi cab driver. He had some very unkind things to say about Americans. His supervisor stepped in and told him to calm down. Not a great first impression landing in Southampton. I laugh about it now. BTW the taxi cab driver I talked with said he didn't take credit cards. Still not sure if it was just that one cab or if all do not take them.

Thank You Waltd for the reply. Good to know that I need to stay in line and have cash. Sounds like you made some memories waiting on a taxi.

Whilst taxis are very easy, the distance will be a function of which terminals the two ships use.

Check with Southampton VTS a few days before to discover which terminals you need to move between.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Thank You Corfe Mixture for the information and the link. I have made a note of it.

I will be debarking the Crown Princess in Southampton and going to be boarding the P&O Aurora. Do I need to reserve a taxi or will there be plenty available to get me to the port where I board the Aurora. Thank You.

There are almost always taxis available when cruise ships dock at Southampton. The problem you have with disembarking Crown Princess and embarking Aurora on the same day is not restricted just to distance between where the two ships are berthed. In my opinion the bigger problem is the time gap between getting off one ship and getting on the next with all your luggage. If you get off the first ship at 9am, which is quite late, and get on the next at 1pm, which is early, there is a four hour gap. You could get to the new terminal at noon and put your cases through the hole in the wall but then it's only a three hour gap. If I were doing this I should book a "Cruise Lounge" package at the Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton (no need to be a resident) and take the taxi to there. Deposit my luggage and book my transfer time to the next terminal for say 2.30pm and head off into Southampton to look round, shopping etc. you can just walk into town it's next door to hotel. The cruise lounge opens at 7am and closes at 7pm and you book alcoholic or non-alcoholic places, sit in the lounge have complimentary snacks and drinks, they look after your luggage and concierge take you to your ship.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We were nearly caught by a taxi driver when in Southampton. If you are getting change from the driver make sure they don't give you the round £1 coins which can no longer be spent, make sure you get the new 12 sided ones.

We were nearly caught by a taxi driver when in Southampton. If you are getting change from the driver make sure they don't give you the round £1 coins which can no longer be spent, make sure you get the new 12 sided ones.

I wouldn’t worry about this. Old pound coins are long gone, and any U.K. person who finds one hidden in a draw may not be able to spend it,but they can still take it to a bank and get it changed.

Whatever, the chances of a taxi driver accidentally coming into possession of an old pound coin are very slim (unless they are slipped one by someone visiting from abroad)

So the bottom line is that taxi drivers are not going to be in possession of old pound coins - don’t worry.

There are almost always taxis available when cruise ships dock at Southampton. The problem you have with disembarking Crown Princess and embarking Aurora on the same day is not restricted just to distance between where the two ships are berthed. In my opinion the bigger problem is the time gap between getting off one ship and getting on the next with all your luggage. If you get off the first ship at 9am, which is quite late, and get on the next at 1pm, which is early, there is a four hour gap. You could get to the new terminal at noon and put your cases through the hole in the wall but then it's only a three hour gap. If I were doing this I should book a "Cruise Lounge" package at the Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton (no need to be a resident) and take the taxi to there. Deposit my luggage and book my transfer time to the next terminal for say 2.30pm and head off into Southampton to look round, shopping etc. you can just walk into town it's next door to hotel. The cruise lounge opens at 7am and closes at 7pm and you book alcoholic or non-alcoholic places, sit in the lounge have complimentary snacks and drinks, they look after your luggage and concierge take you to your ship.

Regards John

Thank You John. This sounds like what I need to do. I will google Grand Harbour Hotel and see if they offer the lounge package online. We don't go until next year.

Thank you. If I am slipped one I will just save it as a souvenir.

Thank You John. This sounds like what I need to do. I will google Grand Harbour Hotel and see if they offer the lounge package online. We don't go until next year.

There is an email contact on their website which you can enquire through. I have used the cruise lounge mainly to see what it is like for a late embarkation where my Travelodge had early check out time. The lounge facility comes under business and corporate events and they will advise the different prices alcoholic and non-alcoholic and the concierge transfer to quayside. If you arrive early, they open at 7am, you may deposit your luggage securely, book a transfer time in 15 minutes slots for the afternoon or whenever, and have a free day around Southampton town, which is the big benefit. Come and go as you please in the special Lounge area during the day.

Regards John

This is actually REALLY good to point out because you never know when old money surfaces! I had that problem last August with the "old" 5 pound notes. Of course, no one here at the US banks knew, or even understood, the problem. With the UK banks closed all weekend where I was, I was stuck and couldn't use them.

Wow. Was he a Brit? Did you say anything back to him?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Wow. Was he a Brit? Did you say anything back to him?

Didn't need to. His boss said it all. She took care of us and sent us on our way. He looked like he should have retired many years ago. I assume he was an unhappy soul that really didn't want to be there but had to.

Didn't need to. His boss said it all. She took care of us and sent us on our way. He looked like he should have retired many years ago. I assume he was an unhappy soul that really didn't want to be there but had to.

Clearly he wrongly assumed you were trying to jump the line. Nothing upsets us Brits more than a queue jumper!!;)

Clearly he wrongly assumed you were trying to jump the line. Nothing upsets us Brits more than a queue jumper!!;)

Exactly what I thought though I concluded that there was probably no mileage in trying to explain that it was a cultural issue as it was probably just as likely that the dispatcher was equally at fault in assuming that folks from abroad knew that there would be an organised line.

Simply a case of everyone concluding that the other person is being rude.

Similar problem happens here in France where visitors, both from UK and USA find it difficult to comprehend that it is rude to interrupt a person doing an admin task at a hotel reception desk and that politeness is based on the fact that as soon as they can they will give you their undivided attention.

I'm sure you are right and nothing worse then some one trying to jump the queue. But my partner was still in line while I was just trying to get some information. I wish they had an information booth at the port. If they did have one I just didn't see it. Would have made the experience so much better.