Scenic Eclipse

russg140

This will be a beautiful ship! Hope it works out for those booked on the early itineraries. Fingers crossed for you all. I am booked on the new RC ship that is also under construction and launching early 2020 and after reading this thread I will keep a close watch on RC progress.
From your lips to God's ears.[emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on this ship and would be disappointed if our cruise is canceled but the thought of bringing a new ship all the way from the med to do a third of a season in the antarctic then return makes no sense. Scenic, please let us know if it is on or off as we have one holiday per year were we can relax.

It is of significant concern that Scenic is failing to keep booked passengers (and potential passengers) updated on the progress of construction on the Scenic Eclipse. Without the facts, speculation and rumour fill the void. What on earth are the marketing people at Scenic thinking??????

More bad news from Uljanik Shipyard.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/31383-uljanik-loses-another-contract

It would be nice if we got an update every week or two on the progress of our ship. Photos would be appreciated!

:rolleyes:

I think the real problem is Eclipse 2. Scenic has already taken delivery of Eclipse 1 and is now using a construction team it hired itself (directly) to finish the yacht - so the shipyard’s situation doesn’t materially impact Eclipse 1 any more. Eclipse 2 however is a different story. Scenic would be mad to start construction at a shipyard that’s borderline bankrupt and securing a new shipyard on short notice won’t be easy. I think there’s no way Eclipse 2 will launch on time.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the real problem is Eclipse 2. Scenic has already taken delivery of Eclipse 1 and is now using a construction team it hired itself (directly) to finish the yacht - so the shipyard’s situation doesn’t materially impact Eclipse 1 any more. Eclipse 2 however is a different story. Scenic would be mad to start construction at a shipyard that’s borderline bankrupt and securing a new shipyard on short notice won’t be easy. I think there’s no way Eclipse 2 will launch on time.

Floris

This concerns me since my booked cruise is on Scenic 2. I have to give the balance by the end of this month even though my cruise is not until 2020, to get a small early booking discount. I am not sure what to do. I wish Scenic would post updates on their website. The last update was in February, 2018. It's hard to know what's going on!

This concerns me since my booked cruise is on Scenic 2. I have to give the balance by the end of this month even though my cruise is not until 2020, to get a small early booking discount. I am not sure what to do. I wish Scenic would post updates on their website. The last update was in February, 2018. It's hard to know what's going on!

If the discount is indeed small, perhaps forfeit it and hang on to your cash? Final payment for my late March Eclipse 1 cruise is late November...

Floris

Floris, what puzzles me about this situation is that if Scenic has ownership of Eclipse 1, has its own construction team etc, and is on track to deliver on the new date, why don't they let EVERYONE know that? ie why are they not writing out to everyone who has a current booking to advise the facts, and why aren't they updating their website. Surely the ownership of their yacht and negotiation of their own construction team is an achievement they would want to share? It would go a long way to alleviate the concerns everyone has.

If the discount is indeed small, perhaps forfeit it and hang on to your cash? Final payment for my late March Eclipse 1 cruise is late November...

Good advice. I paid in full for my Scenic cruise to secure the early payment discount, and my cruise didn't go ahead. Scenic wouldn't consider the lost interest, had I kept my $'s and not paid until the final due date.

I wonder what the legal advice would be in a situation where Scenic continues to take $'s from people, knowing that the cruises are unlikely to proceed due to delays with the ship?

Good advice. I paid in full for my Scenic cruise to secure the early payment discount, and my cruise didn't go ahead. Scenic wouldn't consider the lost interest, had I kept my $'s and not paid until the final due date.

I wonder what the legal advice would be in a situation where Scenic continues to take $'s from people, knowing that the cruises are unlikely to proceed due to delays with the ship?

I would not care about the interest if the cruise was cancelled, since the amount would be so small. I do care about paying in full for a cruise NOW that is not until July, 2020 if they know for sure the second ship is not going to be completed in time. First sailings for the second ship are in May, 2020 from what I can gather on their website. I wish there was someone we could contact at Scenic for a real answer. Their agents don't seem to know anything. This is very frustrating that they are not being transparent with no recent postings on their website showing the progress (since February, 2018).

We had a similar situation, and our booked voyage on the Eclipse 2 is earlier than yours. As the early payment deadline approached, we looked at the situation the following way. If we were to cancel, we would forfeit the deposit unless we transferred the deposit to another itinerary on an ocean or river itinerary within a short period of time. Since we prefer our booked itinerary far more than the alternatives, we decided to stay the course, and we made final payment. We think that the chances that the Eclipse 2 will launch on time are remote, and we think that our voyage most likely will be canceled eventually. If it is canceled, we expect to be offered a full refund and we expect our TA to receive full commission. (Our TA has done a lot of work for us in trying to get answers from Scenic on various questions, and this is an important consideration for us.) On the outside chance that there is financial default, our insurance will reimburse us. Thus we have made full payment for a voyage that will most likely be eventually canceled. It is far better than losing the significant non-refundable deposit.

If Scenic has another itinerary on an existing vessel, such as a river boat, that interests you, you might consider making the switch. However, I believe you are only allowed to switch the deposit one time before forfeiting it, so you need to be sure about your commitment to the itinerary before making the switch. The other alternatives are to forfeit the deposit or make full payment (possibly forego the early payment discount if it is small) and hope for the best.

The Uljanik shipyard is still showing Eclipse 2 on their schedule, but it has not yet been assigned a Hull No., so work has not started. Their schedule shows a delivery date of June 2020 for Eclipse 2 and December 2018 for the first Eclipse, which is still in their shipyard.

https://new-ships.com/Yard-45595-uljanikshipyardpula.html

Delivery dates are in last column. (Note that I can view the last column on my PC, but not my iPad.)

At this point it is unlikely that Scenic will comment on the status of Eclipse 2, since they still have a contract with Uljanik and have not secured an alternate shipyard. My guess is that Scenic is likely working on a backup plan.

I am closely monitoring the situation and will step up my questions to Scenic sometime before booking airfare. By then Scenic should have a much clearer picture of the status of the early Scenic 2 voyages.

Scenic did not allow its reservation agents to tell the truth about the initial delay, or they deliberately didn't pass the information to them within the organisation. I rang two weeks before my cruise was cancelled and was advised everything was on track. At that stage management would definately have known they couldn't deliver on the cruises in 2018.

We had a similar situation, and our booked voyage on the Eclipse 2 is earlier than yours. As the early payment deadline approached, we looked at the situation the following way. If we were to cancel, we would forfeit the deposit unless we transferred the deposit to another itinerary on an ocean or river itinerary within a short period of time. Since we prefer our booked itinerary far more than the alternatives, we decided to stay the course, and we made final payment. We think that the chances that the Eclipse 2 will launch on time are remote, and we think that our voyage most likely will be canceled eventually. If it is canceled, we expect to be offered a full refund and we expect our TA to receive full commission. (Our TA has done a lot of work for us in trying to get answers from Scenic on various questions, and this is an important consideration for us.) On the outside chance that there is financial default, our insurance will reimburse us. Thus we have made full payment for a voyage that will most likely be eventually canceled. It is far better than losing the significant non-refundable deposit.

If Scenic has another itinerary on an existing vessel, such as a river boat, that interests you, you might consider making the switch. However, I believe you are only allowed to switch the deposit one time before forfeiting it, so you need to be sure about your commitment to the itinerary before making the switch. The other alternatives are to forfeit the deposit or make full payment (possibly forego the early payment discount if it is small) and hope for the best.

The Uljanik shipyard is still showing Eclipse 2 on their schedule, but it has not yet been assigned a Hull No., so work has not started. Their schedule shows a delivery date of June 2020 for Eclipse 2 and December 2018 for the first Eclipse, which is still in their shipyard.

https://new-ships.com/Yard-45595-uljanikshipyardpula.html

Delivery dates are in last column. (Note that I can view the last column on my PC, but not my iPad.)

At this point it is unlikely that Scenic will comment on the status of Eclipse 2, since they still have a contract with Uljanik and have not secured an alternate shipyard. My guess is that Scenic is likely working on a backup plan.

I am closely monitoring the situation and will step up my questions to Scenic sometime before booking airfare. By then Scenic should have a much clearer picture of the status of the early Scenic 2 voyages.

Which cruise are you booked on? If it is before mine (and mine is July, 2020), and the delivery date is June, 2020 it does seem very unlikely that it will be ready on time for your cruise and probably mine as well. I saw the link you provided with the June, 2020 estimated delivery date.

I have insurance through the credit card I booked with so if the cruise is cancelled I would be covered, if Scenic does not refund the money.

I have another Scenic cruise booked in 2020. It's to Asia. But that one I am also paying in full this month.

I wish we could get some answers from Scenic. This is terrible for them to keep this a secret.

Very frustrated with speaking to their U.S. office. They don't want to talk with you if you have a travel agent. Just trying to get some information on the status of the construction. Told them that there are no updates on the website since February 3, 2018. They know nothing. They only say that everything is on schedule.

Was able to find the email address for the head person at Scenic. I sent him an email. Perhaps if we all email him we might get some answers. glen.moroney@scenictours.com.au.

I like the tone of Glen Moroney's email, it doesn't reflect the stale marketing "propaganda" we have seen previously. At least he seems to be honest about the situation. I hope that the video appears on the Scenic website soon so that everyone has a better understanding of where the construction of Eclipse 1 is at.

• Administrators

Hi Folks:

Yes, a few posts are missing from this thread. We received a request for Scenic asking for us to remove non-public email addresses as well as the content of email that wasn't meant to be posted in a public place.

Just letting you know,

Laura

Hi Folks:

Yes, a few posts are missing from this thread. We received a request for Scenic asking for us to remove non-public email addresses as well as the content of email that wasn't meant to be posted in a public place.

Just letting you know,

Laura

Thanks Laura. I wish that Scenic would post here with updates. :)

Greetings from the UK.

I was invited to, and attended a session this morning, with various personnel from Scenic UK.  The presentation took place at a notable UK country house hotel and was effectively a sales job. The fact that Scenic felt the need to arrange a series of these sessions around the country must surely say something about the status of the sales for their product.

The main communication I wanted to make readers on this forum aware of was with regard to the date Scenic Eclipse will (may ?) be embarking on its first itinerary.

The Scenic presenter rambled on about the ship, and a video and message on the website from the boss.  When I pushed her she stated that the first itinerary that Eclipse would sail, would begin on January 26th 2019. She advised that she had only been made aware of this date in recent days.

So - a date is now in the public domain - it remains to see if it holds..