Look for recommendations for small cruise lines-UnCruise, Alaskan Dream, Etc....

tulsanurse1

I just tried Alaskan Dream Cruises for the first time in June on the recommendation of a friend. Best decision we could have made, the food was outstanding, excursions were included. The owners are even members of an Alaska native tribe (I do not remember the name however). I'm probably going again. Do it, you will not regret.

Check our Windstar. The reviews from the recent Alaska cruises are very positive. Uncruise is great also, although the cabins are very sparse and have more of a "camping" feel. On Uncruise there is no cell service, TV or internet available (some view this as a positive, but I at least like the choice of checking on relatives or work emails).

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from an Alaskan Dream Cruise aboard the Baranof Dream. Our 10 day S. E. Alaska cruise was everything we could have hoped for and more. We liked the emphasis on learning about native Alaskans, the nature we were seeing and adventures. It's different from Uncruise because they kayak/bushwhack every day. There was an onboard naturalist and cultural guide on board throughout the cruise and we had a Tinglet cultural guide and park ranger for two and one half days. Our ship was allowed to stay in Glacier Bay overnight which is very rare. We had access to the bridge just about anytime we wanted, delicious food (break, lunch, cookie time, social hour and 5 course dinners) every day plus wine/beer at dinner. The company supports local companies and has built up a relationship with many small towns that don't allow other lines to dock at. There were 46 passengers on our ship, just the right amount. I will post a review in a few days and will be happy to answer any questions.

It's true that UnCruise offers kayaking and bushwhacking (and paddle-boarding) nearly every day, but that's not the only activities offered. Daily, we could choose instead to be dropped off with a guide and take a short stroll (much gentler than bushwhacking), or just ride on the larger zodiac while the guide poked into inlets etc for studying wildlife on the shore, or just stay on the boat and soak in the hot tub. Or go down to the always-open bar.

Otherwise, our cruises were pretty much like your's. We too got to stay overnight at Glacier Bay (park ranger on board). We were visiting one glacier when the Baronof Dream appeared nearby. That is a pretty ship. I believe it was built by Blount, who still runs a couple of small ships on the Erie Canal and elsewhere. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

• Members

I've been on both UnCruise and Alaskan Dream; reviews are on the site. Both are excellent products. If I had to steer people one way, I'd note that UnCruise has more active excursions and is more of an adventure while Alaskan Dream stresses native and Alaskan culture more, with less emphasis on sports. Both are older boats but have excellent guides and staff, as well as food. Both attract like-minded travelers. Both are fabulous. You can't go wrong.