Flying with My Powerchair

Hey, everyone! After reading a LOT of posts yesterday, I made the decision to take my powerchair with me on my upcoming Alaskan cruise.

So, I called Delta and gave them all the info they needed about the chair.

However, later last night it occurred to me that we are flying Atlanta to Seattle to Vancouver. And we only have 39 minutes from the time the flight lands in Seattle until the next one takes off [emoji51]

Will Delta automatically shift my chair from plane #1 to plane #2?

Sorry for such a silly question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

are you gate checking it, or cargo checking?

with Gate check you will get it back as you deplane and you can drive it yourself to the next flight.

if its cargo.. I guess I'd be concerned if the first flight is on one of the big jumbo jets which can take longer to swap stuff to the next flight.

typically they would not have allowed you to schedule a connection if they didn't expect to be able to accomplish the transfer. Its been 20 years since I flew out of SEATAC, but if your connecting flights are on the same airline you may not have anything to worry about.

you can always ask in Atlanta for the best option to ensure it doesn't get delayed. (probably gate checking it)

Yes. I will be gate checking and we’re flying Delta all the way.

So, it basically sounds like the chair will be waiting for me when I get off...and therefore shouldn’t slow down our connection at all. Does that sound right?

So, it basically sounds like the chair will be waiting for me when I get off...and therefore shouldn’t slow down our connection at all. Does that sound right?

Ideally, it is waiting. Sometimes it takes a while for items to be unloaded from cargo and brought up the steps to the loading ramp. I travel with a rollater. They usually have strollers and car seats along with gate checked mobility devices to unload.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you should be fine even if the plane is delayed. I have never not had them not call ahead to the next gate and warn them a slow gimpy person(me) is on the way for a tight connection. just pray that your gates are not at opposite ends of the terminal....or requires one of those trains/buses

I ended up calling Delta back and asking about the situation. They told me that since I have a connecting flight, my chair will automatically load onto the second plane and that they’ll provide wheelchair service for me if I need it.

I only need it for longer distances and standing for more than a few minutes. I anticipate I’ll be able to get myself to the next gate without too much difficulty.

Personally, I would never book such a short connection for anyone with a mobility aid; manual or power wheelchair. Keep in mind that while you are the first to board, you are the last one off the plane, and it make take some time to get the aisle chair and your wheelchair brought up to the door of the plane. I would never have less than 1 hour between flights; more in large airports where you may have to go a significant distance to catch the next flight. I also would never trust the airlines to transfer a power chair from one flight to another.