scooter/ports

casperbks

I use a scooter because I cant walk very well, I can walk about a block.. Can anyone please tell me if there is a SAFE place to leave my scooter to get on a tour. and if there are any tours that I can take my scooter on?? These are the places I am going to Cozumel, Puerto Limon, Cartagena, Aruba, Curaco, Montego Bay...???? thank you I cant find the info I need any where so I am asking my fellow cruisers for HELP... thank you and happy cruising!!!!!!!:cool:

We worked it out with our cabin steward to come ashore with us and drive the scooter back to the ship. After the tour he drove it back to meet us. Needless to say, this warranted a nice tip. If this doesn't work for you, check with the front desk and they might have other people who can do this for you. As mentioned - the only safe place for the scooter is on the ship.

I use a scooter because I cant walk very well, I can walk about a block.. Can anyone please tell me if there is a SAFE place to leave my scooter to get on a tour. and if there are any tours that I can take my scooter on?? These are the places I am going to Cozumel, Puerto Limon, Cartagena, Aruba, Curaco, Montego Bay...???? thank you I cant find the info I need any where so I am asking my fellow cruisers for HELP... thank you and happy cruising!!!!!!!:cool:

In general, other than the ship, there is no safe place to leave your scooter to get on a tour. Some people have reported they've brought a bicycle chain/lock and locked it to a post. Personally I wouldn't do that as a chain can by hacked off. Though another poster stated that they arranged with their cabin steward to come off the ship to take the scooter back this is normally not allowed.

For tours that will accept scooters you need to either find a private accessible tour or contact the cruiseline's special need department to see if there are any excursions that will accomodate a scooter. Though another poster stated that they arranged with their cabin steward to come off the ship to take the scooter back this is normally not allowed.

You also need to be reminded that scooter keys are not unique like car keys. Replacement keys can easily be purchased on-line so removing the key does not guarantee it won't be stollen.

• 2 months later...

When we were in Flaam, we borrowed one of the ship's folding chairs so that I could push DW to the train and take the chair with us. I asked at reception the day before and they had it locked away in a storeroom ready for us in the morning.

I took a manual wheelchair to the Caribbean which wasn't a problem as the driver put it on the bus. Not so sure about a scooter as most of the tour vehicles seem to be mini buses. In Europe, if it is a small travel scooter it would fit in the luggage compartment under the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most vans and buses have been able to accommodate my Travelscoot. It is not too heavy and either the bus driver or tour guide puts in under the bus or my husband does. Have also taken it on many of the Hop-on, Hop-off buses in Europe and there were no problems. I was a little worried to go upstairs and leave the scooter downstairs but it was never taken or broken etc. I apply the parking brake so it won't move around on the bus.

I always inquire beforehand if there is room for it on the private tours we take. (I e-mail).