Scooter Great Stirrup Cay?

disneynutssss

Has anyone done Great Stirrup Cay (GSC) with a Scooter?

My cruise is on 4/21 (so close!) and I don't know if i should attempt it or not. I would hate to get sand caught up in anything mechanical on the scooter so I am wondering what the paths are made of (wood,concrete,sand?)

Has anyone done Great Stirrup Cay (GSC) with a Scooter?

My cruise is on 4/21 (so close!) and I don't know if i should attempt it or not. I would hate to get sand caught up in anything mechanical on the scooter so I am wondering what the paths are made of (wood,concrete,sand?)

• NCL uses a tender with roll-on capabilities so you can ride the scooter directly on/off .
  • NCL maintains a limited number of wheelchairs on Great Stirrup Cay that have been designed for use on sand. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The wheelchairs are free to borrow, and can be picked up at the Tender Pier. The beach wheelchairs are made for use on the sand.
  • None of the excursions offered on Great Stirrup Cay are accessible by wheelchair or scooter
  • The bar and dining facilities on Great Stirrup Cay are wheelchair accessible.
  • All of the rest rooms are wheelchair accessible; however, they do not accommodate companions.

Thank you for the input!

What information I really looking for is if I can use the scooter on the island, as in, are the pathways concrete (or wood or equivalent)?

I know I cant use the scooter on the beach in the sand but wasn't sure if there was a layer of sand on the walkways.

FWIW - I can get off the scooter and walk onto the boat, and as long as my scooter isn't over 100 lbs they will carry it down the step or two to the tender from the ship.

But if you are wheelchair bound and cannot walk at all and weigh over 100 lbs total weight of you and your chair, you cannot get off

Crazy

NCL has a roll-on tender docked at Great Stirrup Cay so your post does not apply. Refer to post # 2

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you for the input!

What information I really looking for is if I can use the scooter on the island, as in, are the pathways concrete (or wood or equivalent)? I know I cant use the scooter on the beach in the sand but wasn't sure if there was a layer of sand on the walkways.

Yes the scooter can be used on the island. The paths are a combination of cement and hard packed sand.

FWIW - I can get off the scooter and walk onto the boat, and as long as my scooter isn't over 100 lbs they will carry it down the step or two to the tender from the ship.

I stated in Post # 2 that NCL uses a tender with roll-on capabilities so you can ride the scooter directly on/off .

Yes the scooter can be used on the island. The paths are a combination of cement and hard packed sand.

I stated in Post # 2 that NCL uses a tender with roll-on capabilities so you can ride the scooter directly on/off .

Awesome! Thank you so much!

NCL has a roll-on tender docked at Great Stirrup Cay so your post does not apply. Refer to post # 2

I was on the Escape in February and was told I could not get off the ship and I spoke to other Wheelchair passengers and they were told the same

I was on the Escape in February and was told I could not get off the ship and I spoke to other Wheelchair passengers and they were told the same

Though there's a Tender with roll-on capabilities permanently docked at Great Stirrup Cay , it's at the Captain's discretion if passengers using any type of mobility equipment will be allowed to board. That decision is generally based on weather and sea conditions. Additionally though in the morning conditions may be favorable to allow passengers with mobility equipment to board the Captain has advance reports for later in the day that may be of a safety concern for the return which would prohibit boarding. It varies with each cruise and the passenger won't know for certain if they'll be allowed to tender until the actual port day.

Though there's a Tender with roll-on capabilities permanently docked at Great Stirrup Cay , it's at the Captain's discretion if passengers using any type of mobility equipment will be allowed to board. That decision is generally based on weather and sea conditions. Additionally though in the morning conditions may be favorable to allow passengers with mobility equipment to board the Captain has advance reports for later in the day that may be of a safety concern for the return which would prohibit boarding. It varies with each cruise and the passenger won't know for certain if they'll be allowed to tender until the actual port day.

They said I could get off onto the tender (top deck) but no way to get down from there

It was a bit disappointing

And we did not even stop at Grand Cayman due to the port was closed to tendering

So we had a few more sea days than we had planned

They said I could get off onto the tender (top deck) but no way to get down from there

It was a bit disappointing

And we did not even stop at Grand Cayman due to the port was closed to tendering

So we had a few more sea days than we had planned

Interesting ..hmm ? Upon arriving at the island dock NCL has ramps that are deployed to get all passengers with wheelchairs and scooters off the top deck of the tender. Apparently there was an issue with the the ramps.

• 1 month later...

When my husband (full time wheelchair user) and I docked in GSC (Dec 2017), he was unable to go ashore because you had to manuever a couple of steps to board the tender. Not sure why they didnt employ more accessible tenders (like they have in Grand Caymen) when they made the extensive upgrades to the NCL private island?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app