Traveling outside US with controlled substance meds?

This is our first time traveling outside the US with our son since he started taking Concerta ER (methylphenidate). It only just occurred to me when picking a renewal script that this is a controlled substance and we might need letters & what not to carry it on our trip.

We are cruising from NJ to Bermuda in July.

Anyone with any experience with this? I’ve tried researching online but found very little about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carry the script in the original bottle. I have carried narcs on many of my cruises due to extensive pain. No problems with the original bottle. I just put the bottle in my off ship bag and no problems. I also have gotten a smaller bottle from the pharmacy so I can carry a small amount of meds off the ship and lock the rest in the safe.

As long as it is in pharmacy labeled bottles you will be fine. If it makes you feel more comfortable have a copy of the prescription with you. I have traveled all over the world with some pretty heavy narcotics, needles and needle ends and have never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is our first time traveling outside the US with our son since he started taking Concerta ER (methylphenidate). It only just occurred to me when picking a renewal script that this is a controlled substance and we might need letters & what not to carry it on our trip.

We are cruising from NJ to Bermuda in July.

Anyone with any experience with this? I’ve tried researching online but found very little about it.

I can't speak for these countries but if you go to Dubai in UAE do not take Codeine even in prescription bottles because you could be sent to prison if they catch you.

I share your concerns. I’ve read stories of certain substances that are illegal in certain parts of the world. Ritalin and similar in particular as they’re very popular on the streets.

Certain Asian countries in particular. I’d bet Bermuda is probably fine.

You may be able to get information from the State Department. IDK.

Going to follow this post myself.

I share your concerns. I’ve read stories of certain substances that are illegal in certain parts of the world. Ritalin and similar in particular as they’re very popular on the streets.

Certain Asian countries in particular. I’d bet Bermuda is probably fine.

You may be able to get information from the State Department. IDK.

Going to follow this post myself.

That’s going on my to do list tomorrow! I can’t risk not having them on the trip. He literally vibrates without them and his sisters would want to throw him overboard after day 1!

I can't speak for these countries but if you go to Dubai in UAE do not take Codeine even in prescription bottles because you could be sent to prison if they catch you.

I found it was extremely easy to get permission to carry controlled meds - had to send a notarised copy of my scripts and a letter from my doctor to the UAE embassy here in Australia, they sent said letter and script back with a stamp confirming I had permission to carry the drugs. And of course, because I did the right thing (and paid the $$ to get the permissions done) - nobody even looked at what I was carrying, never mind checking whether I had permission to do so.

I’m sure a lot of the horror stories you hear about people being jailed for carrying a single codeine pill (or something equally trivial by Australian standards, probably western standards generally) have a lot more to them than what’s presented in the media, but given the meds I take, I wasn’t taking a chance.

I found it was extremely easy to get permission to carry controlled meds - had to send a notarised copy of my scripts and a letter from my doctor to the UAE embassy here in Australia, they sent said letter and script back with a stamp confirming I had permission to carry the drugs. And of course, because I did the right thing (and paid the $$ to get the permissions done) - nobody even looked at what I was carrying, never mind checking whether I had permission to do so.

I’m sure a lot of the horror stories you hear about people being jailed for carrying a single codeine pill (or something equally trivial by Australian standards, probably western standards generally) have a lot more to them than what’s presented in the media, but given the meds I take, I wasn’t taking a chance.

A close friend worked for Sheikh Mohammed and confirmed Codeine or similar are a serious offence.

You really did your homework. Thanks for the information!

This (meds) can vary SO much from country to country, in terms of what is allowed or what permissions are needed or what simply is *not* allowed, no matter what.

We used Google to find what the "drug" rules are for each country. NO, we don't rely upon Google :D But Google located the information from each country's official agencies, etc.

Whenever traveling, even within the USA, we carry copies of Rx's and a letter from physician stating that there is a medical need and that the patient is under the physician's care.

And we ALWAYS carry the meds in the originally labelled bottles (which is annoying, as our pharmacy just phased out the smallest bottles; we don't need a bottle that can hold 200 tablets when we are only getting 30 or 60, etc.).

For Japan, there were several *official* approvals needed.

But it was so simple, with email, to submit the documentation needed, and in less than 2 days, we had the signed and stamped permissions.

However, they do NOT allow regular Sudafed, period. No way.

There is an alternate form of Sudafed that does not have the prohibited substance, but we don't find that it works for a bad cold. (There is a way to get the regular Sudafed that is diluted "enough" that it would be allowed.)

Even EpiPens are controlled and restricted.

However, for most meds, IF you need more than is okay without formal approval, you can just request the approval for the amount needed.

What we did was to send an email to the agency, listing all meds that we'd want to bring, and asked what we should do.

We were told which had no restrictions, which we should "declare" and the quantity we could bring (or request permission to bring more), and with one, we needed to contact another agency for permission.

It took very little time, and we didn't need to worry about what "might happen".

Most countries, if you look at the website, there doesn't seem to be anything specific needed. We printed out THAT information, too!

GC

This (meds) can vary SO much from country to country, in terms of what is allowed or what permissions are needed or what simply is *not* allowed, no matter what.

We used Google to find what the "drug" rules are for each country. NO, we don't rely upon Google :D But Google located the information from each country's official agencies, etc.

Whenever traveling, even within the USA, we carry copies of Rx's and a letter from physician stating that there is a medical need and that the patient is under the physician's care.

And we ALWAYS carry the meds in the originally labelled bottles (which is annoying, as our pharmacy just phased out the smallest bottles; we don't need a bottle that can hold 200 tablets when we are only getting 30 or 60, etc.).

For Japan, there were several *official* approvals needed.

But it was so simple, with email, to submit the documentation needed, and in less than 2 days, we had the signed and stamped permissions.

However, they do NOT allow regular Sudafed, period. No way.

There is an alternate form of Sudafed that does not have the prohibited substance, but we don't find that it works for a bad cold. (There is a way to get the regular Sudafed that is diluted "enough" that it would be allowed.)

Even EpiPens are controlled and restricted.

However, for most meds, IF you need more than is okay without formal approval, you can just request the approval for the amount needed.

What we did was to send an email to the agency, listing all meds that we'd want to bring, and asked what we should do.

We were told which had no restrictions, which we should "declare" and the quantity we could bring (or request permission to bring more), and with one, we needed to contact another agency for permission.

It took very little time, and we didn't need to worry about what "might happen".

Most countries, if you look at the website, there doesn't seem to be anything specific needed. We printed out THAT information, too!

GC

In the UK our Government website Foreign and Commonwealth office gives us all the information required for each country.

It is essential to check what is and what isn't allowed and the previous posters have been sensible in getting permission for medicines plus it's essential to bring the confirmation with them to save any problems when in those countries.