Neutral Density or Polarising Filters for Sun Flare??

katie11

Which of these filters should I use for sun flare? Took some photo's, middle of the day, in bright sunshine. I didn't look directly into the sun, it was on the side, but I have sun spots on the shots. Photo's were taken at the harbour. Shots taken with the sun at my back did not have these spots.

Which of these filters should I use for sun flare? Took some photo's, middle of the day, in bright sunshine. I didn't look directly into the sun, it was on the side, but I have sun spots on the shots. Photo's were taken at the harbour. Shots taken with the sun at my back did not have these spots.

Possibly neither one - a lens hood may be a better solution. You may be getting reflections off the lens' from element or internal reflections within the lens.

A polarizing filter lets you selectively darken some reflected light - but only some and under special conditions. This is easy to preview with a pair of polarized sunglasses.

It's also cheap protection. I had that issue on one old lens. Lens hood solved it. Now, I always use a lens hood just in case a lens could suffer from flares but also for protection as a lens hood has saved me from having something hit the front of my lens (whether my fault or someone else) a few times now.