Idea for a Camera for new cruisier

Missylove

I want to get a camera before cruising this year, but I have no idea what I am looking for. I have only taken pics with my phone so camera shopping for me will be a new experience. What is a good camera that is easy to learn to use? What should I be looking for? I want to capture all I can during this cruise experience so I am prepared to watch YouTube and whatever else I can do to practice and prepare. TIA.....

I want to get a camera before cruising this year, but I have no idea what I am looking for. I have only taken pics with my phone so camera shopping for me will be a new experience. What is a good camera that is easy to learn to use? What should I be looking for? I want to capture all I can during this cruise experience so I am prepared to watch YouTube and whatever else I can do to practice and prepare. TIA.....

Budget? Depending on your phone, it may be fairly expensive to exceed its capabilities. Advanced compacts like the new Sony HX99 or the RX100 series can run from $500 to over $1000. How much learning are you prepared to do? A little more info will open the flood gates of advice :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

You may want to take a look at the 'Buying Guide' pages over on DP Review https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

I would look for a fixed lens camera, not one with interchangeable lenses. There are three basic categories:

• Travel Zoom - these are small 'bar of soap' form factor cameras that pack an extreme zoom lens. The lens is fairly 'slow' so the camera is mostly useful for bright daylight. My wife's old Fuji F505 is typical of this category
  • 'Tough' - these cameras may be splash resistant, or may be immersed to skin diving depths. Good cameras to take on a beach day or kayak excursion.
  • 'Bridge' - these cameras typically look like a small SLR camera. They have larger, faster lenses and sensors than the 'travel' or 'tough' cameras. For the larger cameras in the category [Panasonic FZ1000, Sony RX10] they come quite close to an interchangeable lens camera with many $$ expensive lenses.

Budget? Depending on your phone, it may be fairly expensive to exceed its capabilities. Advanced compacts like the new Sony HX99 or the RX100 series can run from $500 to over $1000. How much learning are you prepared to do? A little more info will open the flood gates of advice :)

Dave

Thanks for the reply!! I have an LG android and I don't think I'm ready to spend 500 on a camera just yet. I want to stay pretty basic so that I can learn how to capture good shots and photography school may be a long way from now;). Now what exactly is a HX99 and RX100......now I gota go look those up. I have no knowledge of the types of cameras or terminology except the brand names. I'm very amateur.

You may want to take a look at the 'Buying Guide' pages over on DP Review https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

I would look for a fixed lens camera, not one with interchangeable lenses. There are three basic categories:

• Travel Zoom - these are small 'bar of soap' form factor cameras that pack an extreme zoom lens. The lens is fairly 'slow' so the camera is mostly useful for bright daylight. My wife's old Fuji F505 is typical of this category
  • 'Tough' - these cameras may be splash resistant, or may be immersed to skin diving depths. Good cameras to take on a beach day or kayak excursion.
  • 'Bridge' - these cameras typically look like a small SLR camera. They have larger, faster lenses and sensors than the 'travel' or 'tough' cameras. For the larger cameras in the category [Panasonic FZ1000, Sony RX10] they come quite close to an interchangeable lens camera with many $$ expensive lenses.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I guess I should go on YouTube so that I can familiarize myself with the basics to cameras and photography terminology. :D

Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I guess I should go on YouTube so that I can familiarize myself with the basics to cameras and photography terminology. :D

Don't hesitate to post specific questions here. The community is very used to explaining sometimes technical things in friendly terms.

I recently updated my article on "What Camera Do I Need?" to include a lot of tech that has surfaced in the last few years. You may also find "Cameras Have Parts" helpful since it explains a lot of the technical aspects of cameras in newbie-friendly terms. Both articles were written in response to many, many questions like yours over the years,

Dave

Don't hesitate to post specific questions here. The community is very used to explaining sometimes technical things in friendly terms.

I recently updated my article on "What Camera Do I Need?" to include a lot of tech that has surfaced in the last few years. You may also find "Cameras Have Parts" helpful since it explains a lot of the technical aspects of cameras in newbie-friendly terms. Both articles were written in response to many, many questions like yours over the years,

Dave

Great! Thanks a bunch. :)

I'm a fan of the Sony HX90V - or almost any version of the HX__V cameras. An earlier version of that is what restarted my interest in photography. I think it's a great beginner camera and there are manual settings to play with as you get more interested and more advanced.

enhance

Taken with the HX9V in 2012.

Vic

It really depends on what you typically do and what you want out of a camera. We currently take 3 cameras with us on our cruises for a variety of reasons:

Nikon D5300 DSLR. https://amzn.to/2M40fWX My husband is a big photo person and wanted a DSLR that wouldn't completely break the bank, so we went with this and got two additional lenses (wide angle and telescopic zoom) Just over $1,000 including the extra lenses, so not cheap, but not as bad as the really nice DSLRs. Takes amazing pictures

Nikon W300 Waterproof https://amzn.to/2QahzNa This is my main camera while my husband uses the DSLR. It's also great because we do a lot of snorkeling and other water excursions.

GoPro Hero 6 - https://amzn.to/2M4S4tw We just got this for our recent trip to Iceland, so not much to say about it yet. Did get some amazing video snorkeling Silfra in Iceland, and we just got back from a Caribbean cruise when we used it extensively at the beach. We also have full face snorkel masks that have a GoPro mount built into them (https://amzn.to/2wQzZcQ), so it works great while snorkeling.

If you don't do much with water activities, the waterproof cameras might be too much, and if you aren't a big photog than the DSLR might be too much as well.