New Nikon user here

Kinny

Picked up a Nikon D500, and so far been happy with it. I'm usually a Canon shooter and picked the D500 over their 7DMk2. Now time to collect lenses for next year's Alaska cruise. Tips and recommendations on "affordable" lenses? What I mean by "affordable" is anything under $1000 new/used. LOL

For Alaska you definitely need a long lens for wildlife shots. Tamron and Sigma both have a 150-600mm lens which from the reviews seem pretty nice. Nikon has a 200-500mm but it's pricier. You'll also need a wide angle lens for landscapes, my personal favorite is the Tokina AT‑X 116 PRO DX‑II 11‑16mm f/2.8. (I got a good used one on ebay for 300 bucks). I would also recommend the Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4. It's a great compromise and it's super sharp.

For Alaska you definitely need a long lens for wildlife shots. Tamron and Sigma both have a 150-600mm lens which from the reviews seem pretty nice. Nikon has a 200-500mm but it's pricier. You'll also need a wide angle lens for landscapes, my personal favorite is the Tokina AT‑X 116 PRO DX‑II 11‑16mm f/2.8. (I got a good used one on ebay for 300 bucks). I would also recommend the Nikon 16-80mm f/2.8-4. It's a great compromise and it's super sharp.

I've read great things on the 150-600 from Tamron. I'm thinking of getting the Nikon 200-500 simply because of the fix F5.6 aperture. I will look into the 16-80. That sounds like a great walk around lens. Thanks! :cool:

Kinny... I'm getting rid of the last of my Nikon F-mount gear... you can contact me if you're interested. Have a couple primes and flashes you may be interested in. Though nothing specifically for an Alaska cruise.

Hey Havoc. What you got? :D

So far I got the 10.5mm F2.8, 35mm F1.8, and 28-200mm F3.5-5.6.

I've read great things on the 150-600 from Tamron. I'm thinking of getting the Nikon 200-500 simply because of the fix F5.6 aperture. I will look into the 16-80. That sounds like a great walk around lens. Thanks! :cool:

Yes. The 16-80 is my everyday lens. I am very pleased with it. IMO, it's probably one of Nikon's best lenses.

Hey Havoc. What you got? :D

So far I got the 10.5mm F2.8, 35mm F1.8, and 28-200mm F3.5-5.6.

Flashes: SB500, SB700

Lenses — Nikon 18-35g, probably not for you, more for full frame shooters. Though works just fine on aps-c

Tamron 45/1.8 — fantastic lens, far superior to the Nikon branded 35 and 50.

Tamron 85/1.8 — also fantastic. The Nikon 85/1.8 is a great value but the Tamron is even better (sharper and VR)

If anything piques your interest, email me at picklepiephoto@gmail.com

I have the D500 - this is my 'standard' lens kit - I have a few specialty lenses too and some older ones.

Wildlife and sports - Tamron 150-600. It IS heavy but its a great lens for wildlife in decent lighting.

Travel Primary - Tamron 18-400. While its not the sharpest in the world at the far end it does a very good job and the tradeoff in weight and versatility is worth it - this would be the first lens I would purchase it.

Studio - Sigma Art 24-105

Nifty Fifty - Sigma Art 50

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the Nikon 200-500. I rented all the 150-600 models, as well as the 200-500 and came away liking the Nikon product. It pairs well with the D500, and you can add the Nikon 1.4 TC for a bit more reach (effective 1050, with f/8 max aperture).

I have the Nikon 200-500 and it is a great lens and very sharp. I did take it to Alaska and used it a lot; mainly at 500mm and with the 1.4 teleconverter on. Was very happy with the results. But...I had to take a separate carryon bag just for it because it would not fit in my regular camera bag and the thing is heavy. Also would recommend getting lens coat for it, when on deck in Glacier Bay it was money well spent.

1st I do use the D500. #1 choice would be the 200-500 Nikkor, 2nd lens 17-55 f/2.8 DX get this one used. A Nikkor 105 f/2.8 macro might be a third lens choice to cover the space between the 55 and the 200 plus give you macro ability.

I am not a fan of any 28-200mm lenses, just my2cents.

framer

I have the Nikon 200-500 and it is a great lens and very sharp. I did take it to Alaska and used it a lot; mainly at 500mm and with the 1.4 teleconverter on. Was very happy with the results. But...I had to take a separate carryon bag just for it because it would not fit in my regular camera bag and the thing is heavy. Also would recommend getting lens coat for it, when on deck in Glacier Bay it was money well spent.

Noted on lens coat. Thanks! Just got the 200-500 today. That thing is huge! It may be able to find room in my Lowepro backpack.

1st I do use the D500. #1 choice would be the 200-500 Nikkor, 2nd lens 17-55 f/2.8 DX get this one used. A Nikkor 105 f/2.8 macro might be a third lens choice to cover the space between the 55 and the 200 plus give you macro ability.

I am not a fan of any 28-200mm lenses, just my2cents.

framer

Well, considering I got the 28-200mm from my parents free, I can't complain. LOL. It does the job when I needed it. I may have a replacement by then. Who knows.