Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 33

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 13 and Sunday, August 19.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest. All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others.

Thank you Dave.

Boeckli lives about 2 hours south of here, so thought she/he would see this before you in the States. Isn't technology great.

Impressive camera and photo's.

Dave, is it possible for me to talk to via email?

There are a lot of questions I would like to ask you regarding cameras etc.

Thank you Dave.

Boeckli lives about 2 hours south of here, so thought she/he would see this before you in the States. Isn't technology great.

Impressive camera and photo's.

Dave, is it possible for me to talk to via email?

There are a lot of questions I would like to ask you regarding cameras etc.

To avoid SPAMmer bots, I don't post my email on forums. If you go to the contact page on my website at pptphoto.com (click the photo link in my signature), my email is listed and I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

And, yes, technology is wonderful! :)

Dave

I love your photo's. Would you mind sharing which camera and lens you are using. Many thanks.

Thank you - glad you like them.

Since Boeckli is 18 hours offset, I'll pop in and let you know it is a Sony RX100 Mk VI. A very versatile compact travel camera.

Dave

Thanks for 'filling in" - yes, technology (both communications and photography) is marvelous these days ...

Sisters. While there are occasional confrontations between these two, this is how they interact with each other more often than not. Having raised a pair of sisters similarly separated by four years, we find this behavior to be unnatural. Not unnatural in a bad way. Just odd. Odd like having a lion chase you down in the wild just to lick your face or dropping a handful of change and having all the coins land standing on their edges. Maybe they have observed their Mother and Aunt’s closeness mixed with how they occasionally "interact" over real or imagined slights and have decided to keep their interaction at DEFCON 5 for the most part. Whatever the reason, keep it up! It’s nice.

Sister Time

p3026723425-5.jpg

Dave

Sisters. While there are occasional confrontations between these two, this is how they interact with each other more often than not. Having raised a pair of sisters similarly separated by four years, we find this behavior to be unnatural. Not unnatural in a bad way. Just odd. Odd like having a lion chase you down in the wild just to lick your face or dropping a handful of change and having all the coins land standing on their edges. Maybe they have observed their Mother and Aunt’s closeness mixed with how they occasionally "interact" over real or imagined slights and have decided to keep their interaction at DEFCON 5 for the most part. Whatever the reason, keep it up! It’s nice.

Sister Time

p3026723425-5.jpg

Dave

Priceless!!

A little late to the processing again, just finally getting around to downloading my shots from the past 2 weekends...here are some variety of wildlife OTHER THAN BIRDS! in our local Florida wetlands:

A basilisk lizard hanging out in a tree:

original.jpg

A grasshopper 'singing' away with his wings - they're tiny but loud, which helps locate them:

original.jpg

Three turtles on a palm log, each one seeking happiness (oh, wait...that's a different song):

original.jpg

Green iguana, peeking above the reeds and leaves:

original.jpg

It looks like she's smiling - but it's a little more of a threat display - it comes along with a loud, steady hiss...this is a momma alligator, snugged right next to her nest pile where all her eggs are laid. I was not trying to disturb the wildlife - in fact, she chose a very strange place to make her nest - less than 1 foot from the path where everyone walks by! I actually reported it to the local guard at the park so they could put up some cones and caution tape so people would steer a little wide around this spot so as not to bother her too much. Still, she spends much of the afternoon hissing at everyone who walks by:

original.jpg

It looks like she's smiling - but it's a little more of a threat display - it comes along with a loud, steady hiss...this is a momma alligator, snugged right next to her nest pile where all her eggs are laid. I was not trying to disturb the wildlife - in fact, she chose a very strange place to make her nest - less than 1 foot from the path where everyone walks by! I actually reported it to the local guard at the park so they could put up some cones and caution tape so people would steer a little wide around this spot so as not to bother her too much. Still, she spends much of the afternoon hissing at everyone who walks by:

original.jpg

Aw, it's summer. She doesn't eat very often in summer ... I think :rolleyes:

Even though it is summer and you think that she doesn't eat as much during this time, I wouldn't get to close -- he/she could change their mind.

That's right! How do you know which day she is hungry? And they are really, REALLY fast for short bursts.

It helps to be around alligators a lot, to get to know their behavior and what they mean when they fake, hiss, move, etc. I've grown up around gators since I was 5 years old, so they're like old buddies to me - I respect them and their speed and power, but also have come to know most of their signals and when they're really getting ready to spring. They have a bit of an undeserved reputation, as they really are not aggressive, will usually try to get away from people, and in almost all instances of attack, the people were doing something very very stupid or ill-advised (getting in between a gator and your pet who he was targeting, jumping in open everglades water at night and splashing around, kids sitting in lake water with no adults around for a long period of time during which the gator would have studied the situation and finally determined there was an opportunity, and so on). Other than a mother alligator defending her nest (which they'll usually mock charge and swing their tail aggressively but not necessarily try to eat you) or a drought or starvation situation where the gator is badly hungry, they don't consider humans to be prey.

And they generally try to warn you away as much as possible so they don't have to attack - like this momma who ill-advisedly made her nest right next to a busy walking trail - who constantly hisses and displays her teeth and mouth, occasionally snapping her jaw...just to let people know she's there and don't come close. She'd rather not spend the energy defending her nest! I think next year, she'll learn not to put her nest so close to where people are to save her a lot of stress!

BTW - gators run extremely fast - but they don't turn well...always a good idea to make a sudden left or right turn when being chased by a charging gator. :)

It helps to be around alligators a lot, to get to know their behavior and what they mean when they fake, hiss, move, etc.

Never smile at a crocodile (or alligators)

No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile (or alligators)

Don't be taken in by his welcome grin

He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin

Glad we don't have either in Hawaii!