How early to book hotel & parking, Galveston?

edgeman61

First time sailing out of Galveston (12/2019).

Driving from DFW day before.

Wanted to know how early to book a hotel & parking, keeping in mind that this cruise will be over New Years (eve & day)?

Better to stay in Galveston or somewhere nearby?

Thanks for any advice.

Sense you are coming day early and its during the week , lodging should be easily available at resaonable pricing.

Three areas to stay .

1. Port Old Town Strand area. Only two hotels and both have parking packages

2. Gulf on Seawall . Many and most have parking packages

3. Bay Area. 2 and have parking packages

4. On highway coming in on I 45. (parking packages ? )

There is trolley system running between most hotels and tourist destinations.

Booking lodging is circumstantial .

Best Hotels :

• San Luis on Gulf
  • Tremont near Port
  • Moody Gardens on Bay
  • Hilton on Gulf
  • Galvez on Gulf
  • Harbor House on Port
  • Many other hotels motels and new ones

Edited by ssb

• 4 weeks later...

Hilton used to have free parking but now charges so check to see if park and cruise is still included in room rate. And FYI, Homewood Suites has a free shuttle but doesn't let you keep your car there (duh Homewood)

• 2 weeks later...

holiday inn does have a shuttle but ive heard its super slow and almost not worth waiting for. I just booked for Nov 11, and seems there is a fishing tournament going on, and rooms in Galveston are 91% booked and most of those mentioned above are fully booked.

I finally swallowed the prices and plan to book EZCruise for parking during the cruise. Im priority and if i have to pay for a taxi Ive found it totally negates the free parking, you dont save anything.

No point in doing priorty embarkation or debarkation and then having to take a taxi to use it, might as well just go pay the $65 or whatever it is to park and walk to the port. Just my opinion. a taxi going to cost you what $30 with tip?

I was also pretty hard up last night when finding a hotel to book with so many fully booked, so it really depends on what else is going on how soon you should book. I could only find one hotel under $100 I never heard of The Pearl with two reviews about bugs and bug bites.

Sure I could stay at Hobby where Im picking up my friend, but to me my cruise and vacation doesnt start until I can see and smell the ocean. I personally think its worth it to stay on or very near Seawall Blvd for a hotel. though of course the two near the port Trevor? whatever the name are awesome too.

I cant wait to walk on the boulevard by the ocean and smell the ocean. Thats when i start to smile and relax and feel like Im on vacation.

Since you have a car, you could stay in La Marque or Texas City, the last towns before the bridge over to Galveston. Prices are generally lower there and you will have only a 30 minute ride into Galveston the morning of the cruise.

We park at EZCruise - they have a shuttle that takes you to the terminal and picks you up at the end of the cruise. Very easy, very convenient, reasonable cost.

We have always stayed in Webster or League City the night before as the quality hotels are much cheaper than in Galveston. We also park at Lighthouse parking because it is monitored as opposed to leaving our car in a hotel lot. Heard too many stories of cars vandalized at hotel lots.

Do not chance driving in the same day. My coworker left DFW at 6 am on a Sunday for Galveston and was stuck on a shut down 45 in Houston and missed her cruise.