Vancouver areas to steer clear of.

mkmom514

I haven't been to Vancouver since 2007. We will be there 3 days before our August Alaska cruise. I've seen snippets here and there about skeevy areas. We're staying downtown at the Best Western Plus Chateau Granville and will be going everywhere on foot or bus (taxi possibly). Anyone know boundaries of areas to avoid?

The only really dodgy downtown neighbourhood hasn't changed in terms of it's location - DownTown EastSide remains bordered by Carrall on the west end and Hastings on the south (unless you plan to visit the docks or try to skip over the DTES to visit the PNE the east/north won't be relevant to you). Edit - NB: that Carrall is also where you find the Gassy Jack statue, so it's a VERY popular place to go as a tourist at the north end of it. Approaching along Water Street from downtown will keep you in the shiny souvenir shop/cobblestone street touristy area - but cutting across e.g. Hastings to then walk up Carrall will take you to the likes of Pigeon Park where folks sleeping rough and impromptu street markets for 'recycled' (honest guv, never stolen!) goods is common.

You'll see more beggars around than in 2007 - but they'll be in busy visitor/commuter areas, not the skeevy areas, as that's where the money is. A definite change in the last two or three years is how many folks now beg at intersections, walking through the traffic, so taking a cab will actually expose you to a new group of beggars (whether you'll see more or less than on foot depends where you're going, it's mostly on the busier traffic streets surrounding the peninsula).

Some parts of Chinatown also remain a bit gritty, especially later in the evening when the shops are closed - it's not actually rough, but an entire block with virtually no businesses open can certainly give off an unwelcoming vibe, so if you are on foot look down side streets and pick one with bars & restos and foot traffic if you're nervous.

All of this potentially-scary info does need the caveat that in terms of 'violence against persons' offences, even the worst parts of Vancouver are less likely to see you mugged or harmed in any way than a typical US small town - the overwhelming majority of any violent crimes in these hoods are 'john on hooker' or 'local on local' incidents. A stumbling-drunk tourist is more likely to be poured into a cab than rolled for their wallet by the locals IMO.

On the good side, since your last visit you'll find one entirely new neighbourhood (the Olympic village) to explore, and there's been quite an expansion over in North Vancouver around Lonsdale Quay too - the Friday evening market there is quite popular, and attended by several of the many new Food Trucks. Main Street in and south of Chinatown has also gone through a bit of hipster renaissance since your last trip - trendy bars and restos have opened, a notorious biker bar has ceased to be patronized by the local Angels, new shiny condo buildings have popped up.

The thing you most need to be concerned about IMO is your choice of hotel - it's slap bang in the middle of the Granville Street entertainment district! This is where the vast majority of the late-opening bars and nightclubs in the city are located; it even has its very own police station that patrols heavily in the wee small hours to reduce the hassles that come with hundreds of drunken suburbanites all getting kicked out onto the street to find that there is no SkyTrain and not enough cabs, so they hang around eating poutine waiting for the much-less-frequent 'vomit comet' night bus services. Expect lots of random loud street noise overnight - pack earplugs and try to get a room at the back of the hotel - though since we're talking about Canadian drunken buffoons, loud and pukey is normal but violent is not, so it's not actually unsafe (indeed, with so many cops around it's probably about the safest place to be downtown despite the drunks).

Agree as well with all the info given. Perhaps finding a hotel closer to the pier or the other popular areas maybe better.

Check on your meet and mingle page and see where others booked.

Vancouver is a fun place to explore and feel safe in too!

Martincath and others, I'm curious if you've been hearing anything lately about attitudes towards American tourists being less friendly given the current tariff dispute? Are folks finding Canadians less welcoming? I don't in any way want to start a discussion about the merits of the politics behind this (not appropriate here), just interested in traveler's experiences...

Most of my family is in Canada but I've been in the US for a couple of decades. My sister recently cancelled a week long trip to the Olympic peninsula because she doesn't want to spend any tourist dollars in the US until the relationship between the countries improves. I'm not a fan of boycotts but it's definitely her right to spend her money however she wants. For Americans who may not be very aware of the situation, what really has my sister, and I'm guessing a lot of Canadians, ticked off is not directly the tariffs but the justification for them which describes Canada as a national security threat to the US in the same category as China.

PS. No one should be turned off their cruise out of Vancouver by this question. The Canadians who feel strongly are likely to still be more polite to you than an average New Yorker ( my father was born in Manhattan so I'll take that free swipe).

^A tricky thing to answer while avoiding political statements, but I'll do my best...

Bias against visiting Americans? Definitely not. What I do see and hear about is a somewhat differential treatment of folks who openly advertise they are Trump fans - e.g. the Teahouse manager who refused to serve a guy who would not remove his MAGA hat in the dining room. Even then, it's more of an issue with Trump's personal behaviour and statements that seem to trigger a backlash rather than his politics actually - I don't think that the tariffs are making much of a difference.

While there was a flurry of stories in the press about Canadians complaining and threatening to withhold their tourist dollars from the US, it wasn't the announcement of tariffs that triggered it - it was Trump insulting Trudeau after a meeting. See also the incredible fury expressed by the UK press that Trump kept the Queen waiting/did not adhere to protocol - way more front page inches than anything about his actual policies.

And with Doug Ford running Ontario (all the same political delights of big bro Rob, with less competence but a dash of extra vitriol from being the constantly-overlooked little bro) and the refusal of Trudeau Jr to enact meaningful changes to the system up here despite campaigning on that basis, I know many Canadians (including me) are reluctant to complain too vociferously about the behaviour of another nations elected officials before we get our own house in order.

It's definitely a far more prevalent issue in Portland than it is in Vancouver - one of the many riots we've been impacted by in our lives was the anti-Trump protesters rampaging through downtown Portland. Whereas in Vancouver it only ever happens in response to losing big hockey matches - a Boston Bruins shirt is probably still more likely to get you randomly punched in Vancouver than a Trump hat!

martincath, From Canada Place to Gastown walking, which street do you recommend we use to get there?

Water Street is definitely THE tourist street in Vancouver, and just so happens it takes you to all the Gastown things you're going to want to see (cobbles, ironwork, steam clock, and when you reach Maple Tree Square with the Gassy Jack statue just turn around and head back the way you came if you want to minimise your exposure to, shall we say, the grittier side of urban life). Craptons of souvenir shops, several restos & bars, ice cream, chocolates, maple products stores along Water too.

Water Street begins just outside Steamworks brewpub - there's an oddly angled intersection, but it's actually the natural progression from Cordova. You don't even have to cross the street anywhere from Canada Place, you'll literally be fed straight onto Water as you walk. The only turn required is left from Howe onto Cordova, and then crossing again right at the end of the route if you want a close-up of the statue. Google Map here for your convenience.

Martincath and others, I'm curious if you've been hearing anything lately about attitudes towards American tourists being less friendly given the current tariff dispute? Are folks finding Canadians less welcoming? I don't in any way want to start a discussion about the merits of the politics behind this (not appropriate here), just interested in traveler's experiences...

I think most Canadian have a positive view of Americans individually and nothing has changed for Americans visiting Canada.

Americans have a process to select who leads their government. I think most Canadian respect that that is a internal US decision.

At the same time, Trump is puzzling to many of us and generally very strongly disliked by many Canadians. The Trump hotel in Toronto has already been re branded. I am surprised the only remaining Trump in Canada (the one in Vancouver) has not been re-branded yet.

To be fair to Portland, most of the "riots" and demonstrations have been the result of pro-Trump white supremicists invading the city from Vancouver, Washington. Today is no exception.

We're not here often enough to know personally which side has had most protests/caused the most damage - but it was definitely the big anti-Trump protests after he won that led to many businesses within a couple of blocks of our apartment having their windows panned in.

I can say that the supporters of the Bundys definitely left the most horse-sh*t all over downtown (literally, as quite a few of their side rode their steeds to the courthouse!) and they're pretty definitely on the pro-Trump side, given he just pardoned the Hammonds whose sentencing led to the whole Malheur wildlife refuge takeover extravaganza.

But like I said, any US visitor can still expect civil treatment up in BC unless they are personally very annoying, regardless of tariffs and political leadership.

Water Street is definitely THE tourist street in Vancouver, and just so happens it takes you to all the Gastown things you're going to want to see (cobbles, ironwork, steam clock, and when you reach Maple Tree Square with the Gassy Jack statue just turn around and head back the way you came if you want to minimise your exposure to, shall we say, the grittier side of urban life). Craptons of souvenir shops, several restos & bars, ice cream, chocolates, maple products stores along Water too.

Water Street begins just outside Steamworks brewpub - there's an oddly angled intersection, but it's actually the natural progression from Cordova. You don't even have to cross the street anywhere from Canada Place, you'll literally be fed straight onto Water as you walk. The only turn required is left from Howe onto Cordova, and then crossing again right at the end of the route if you want a close-up of the statue. Google Map here for your convenience.

One more quick question, if you don’t mind Martincroft On our way to Gastown I need to make a stop at th post office. There’s one on Granville St. How is the walk down Howe to Penders to Granville? Thanks

One more quick question, if you don’t mind Martincroft On our way to Gastown I need to make a stop at th post office. There’s one on Granville St. How is the walk down Howe to Penders to Granville? Thanks

No problem - to the extra question or with this route;-)

I assume you're looking at the Canada Post inside the Rexall pharmacy at Granville & Pender? That is close to the pier, and not much out of your way for a Gastown walk, but it's even less out of your way to visit the Canada Post in London Drugs at the Woodwards block (between Cordova and Hastings, cross street Abbott). Just head down Water as I suggested above, then turn right on Abbott to do your mailing and head back up the same way (you can save about fifteen yards walking by taking Cambie to Cordova then entering Woodwards the back way, past the huge metal W display in the alley, but it's a bit trickier to follow so probably not worth the minimal distance saving).

I think most Canadian have a positive view of Americans individually and nothing has changed for Americans visiting Canada.

Americans have a process to select who leads their government. I think most Canadian respect that that is a internal US decision.

At the same time, Trump is puzzling to many of us and generally very strongly disliked by many Canadians. The Trump hotel in Toronto has already been re branded. I am surprised the only remaining Trump in Canada (the one in Vancouver) has not been re-branded yet.

Ha! I always bid on 5 stars on Priceline for all of my pre cruise hotels. And we are in the Trump Vancouver for 3 nights before a cruise next May. (Got a great deal by the way) I wonder if it will be rebranded by then. Not that we care. We like upscale hotels regardless of the brand.

Thanks for the responses about attitudes towards tourists. It’s great to see common sense and courtesy winning the day (here on the board and in Vancouver). It is a confusing time...

There are Lots of tourists in town carrying maps. Many are helped with any directions they need by passers by. No worries.

If booking a hotel in Vancouver don't delay as they are not cheap. It is a busy city.