28 nights in an inside cabin - any tips?

Selkie74

In a moment of madness late last year, I booked a QM2 28 night trip this September. It was a massive bargain, so couldn’t resist. We’ve done a TA before, but that’s the extent of our cruising.

Now it’s a month away, and I’m getting jittery at the thought of 28 nights in a cabin without windows. Will DH and I still be on speaking terms at the end of this? I know it’s a huge ship, and the cabins are only for sleeping in, but I’m worried that it’s just too long a trip.

Please somebody reassure me that the inside cabins are pleasant enough places to be. Ours is on Deck 10, near all the posh cabins, so I’m planning to hang about outside in the corridors and make friends with somebody rich enough to afford a window...

Use your cabin for sleeping. Think of the open decks as your balcony, and the lounges as your seating area, I have completed a 54 night in an inside cabin but I was on my own. The ship has lovely areas, use them all, spend the money you saved on things you like, whether a massage a spa package, speciality restaurants, whatever suits you.

When on my own I usually have an inside cabin, but have also sailed with an ocean view and balcony. Enjoyed all of them. Go with an open mind and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

QM2 — I was in 10009 for a round trip crossing last Sept. and I am booked in 11051 for a round trip in April. Both inside and no complaints or worries, I am a solo traveler but found that any cabin fever was allayed by a quick trip up the nearby staircase to the observation deck or a run down stairs one flight to the Commodore Lounge and Churchill’s or down one more flight to the library. I find the inside cabins most comforting and tranquil, and a VERY even trade off view for money. She is a grand and beautiful ship with wonderful public spaces, but my little space is my refuge.

Please somebody reassure me that the inside cabins are pleasant enough places to be. Ours is on Deck 10, near all the posh cabins, so I’m planning to hang about outside in the corridors and make friends with somebody rich enough to afford a window...

Inside cabins (on any cruise ship) are wonderful as you get all the benefits of the ship at a knock down price. Balcony cabins I can see some sense in paying for but outside cabins where you pay an extortionate amount for a window - bonkers.

One thing I love about inside cabins is they are dark, so no disturbing light shining around the curtains.

However... do take an alarm clock, I speak from experience that it is easy to miss breakfast from being fast asleep in the dark. Also because it is so dark at night making your way to the bathroom can be 'interesting', so I take a couple of motion sensor battery powered LED lights I picked up from IKEA for a few pounds each which give just enough to light the way and then turn off.

Those three deck 10 cabins have their own mini corridor so you do not have the main corridor traffic to listen to and you are super close to the launderette. Outside of people conversing while attending their laundry there was no noise from the launderette. I had tried to book one of those cabins for April and I had to go up to deck 11 for an inside cabin.

Ah, finally someone with a clever choice of stateroom. The main difference to a balcony cabin is that you have to get out of your cabin for breakfast, because there is no couch in an inside cabin and not enough space to have a proper brekkie for two.

Deck 10 is close to the Commodore Club (Deck 9) which is a nice lookout during daytime. Also, I recommend you to get a spa pass for at least some days, the spa has a nice relaxation area with an excellent view. Also, do make use of the lookout underneath the bridge (Deck 11) and the deck chairs on Deck 7. Hanging around in the corridors, however, will be a pretty lonely experience.

I've not sailed in an inside cabin myself. But one tip I often hear from those who do is to tune your TV to the channel that shows the live view from the bridge. That way you can get at least an illusion of having a window out to a view of the ocean outside.

I have only done 7 days in an inside cabin on QM2, but I would be happy to do this again anytime!

The only things I think I missed were drinking mimosas on my balcony in the mornings, and watching the sail aways. Somehow my Pol Acker got consumed during my unpacking, so there were no mimosas anyway, and as it was a crossing there was only one sail away which I watched from deck 14. However, I do think I could cope with these should I be on a longer trip.

I did use the alarm on my phone to awaken me in the morning and from naps, as I do think I would have overslept in the darkness, and while in the cabin I usually watched the Bridge Cam to see where we were going.

Otherwise it really was just like being in an ocean view or balcony cabin, and totally worth the cost :)

This is a bit different perspective. Our first QM2 crossing was in an inside cabin. I would probably book another inside cabin as a solo, but it took coordination and cooperation for a couple to dress or move about the room. One needed to sit or lie in bed while the other dressed. We managed, but we’ve sailed in the sheltered balcony cabins on subsequent trips. They aren’t a great deal larger, but we can at least enjoy the sofa, and we frequently have room service breakfast. The balcony also creates the illusion of more space.

The other drawback was the total darkness if lights were out. As a solo, you can turn on a light without disturbing anyone. However, one thinks twice about waking a partner by turning on lights. The previous poster who suggested the motion activated night light had a great idea. Any night light would have been welcome.

Edited by ChansonDeLaMer
Deleted word

In a moment of madness late last year, I booked a QM2 28 night trip this September. It was a massive bargain, so couldn’t resist. We’ve done a TA before, but that’s the extent of our cruising.

Now it’s a month away, and I’m getting jittery at the thought of 28 nights in a cabin without windows. Will DH and I still be on speaking terms at the end of this? I know it’s a huge ship, and the cabins are only for sleeping in, but I’m worried that it’s just too long a trip.

We had an inside cabin on deck 10 last month 10035 on QM2 and it was lovely. It was on a dog leg and so quiet. Although it was only 7 nights, I would have been happy to be there for longer. The location worked really well for the Commodore club as well! We would book it again in a heartbeat.

We did a back-to-back TA in an inside cabin and I found it fine by Mrs Toad did say she felt like she was traveling "mole class" and she said she'd not want to do it again. We also booked it at short notice, also like you, because it was a very good price

We were right at the blunt end so it was so far to walk from say the Commodore lounge it felt like end of the ship was disappearing over the horizon!

But I'd not worry about it too much, as I say, they are fine.

IMO : On a cruise that long and a low price is paramount , I may have booked that Inside cabin as a Guarantee with the hope of getting an upgrade to at least a cabin category with daylight . 28 days is a long time to lock in a Inside cabin assignment .

We did a 32 day cruise on a rival cruise line (Voyage of the Vikings) in an inside cabin. It was a last minute decision and that was the only thing available.

I was certain that I was going to feel claustrophobic and hate the cabin! I don't know the set up on the inside cabins on Cunard, because we've always had a balcony, but this line creates the illusion of a window by putting soft lighting behind a curtain.

By day three, I had forgotten all about my worries, and the amazing itinerary occupied all my thoughts.

You definitely will sleep better in an inside!

Don't worry, relax and enjoy!

Ricki

For the past 6 years or so we've reserved accommodations using inside cabins on various cruises. Prior to that we were OV (Ocean View) folks for 'ages', claustrophobia I guess. A good cruising friend recommended 'trying' an inside and we did it on a 35 day cruise on a lower prom deck (HAL) and had no problems whatsoever .

Since then we're able to due more cruising with the pricing differential obviously (& btw, we have been moved up to an OV and Veranda on occasions just reserving an inside guarantee) but we also like the 'privacy & darkness'. We pretty much use the room for the basics, i.e. showering, sleeping and such and use the public venues, pools and decks for the cruise experience.

We've done probably 300+ days (including a WC) utilizing insides cabins and have no regrets.

We plan to do a QM2 TA crossing in May 2019 and have reserved an inside (12043 methinks) and have no qualms in doing so.

And as mentioned, it's indeed dark with no porthole / window / veranda but, also, as mentioned you can turn the TV on to let you see your position in the harbor, etc. I like being on the lower prom deck (or nearby) so I can just walk out on deck and view docking, weather conditions, etc.

At least for us (with, shall we say, a limited budget) the 'insides' work just fine. As a TA once told me, on most cruise ships, the food is pretty much the same unless your utilizing a specialty / gourmet dinner / chef's table venue on a particular night. And the public venues and programmed activities / lectures are available to everyone.

Just my two cents (USD). We look forward to the amenities of the QM2, even if it's an 'inside'.

BTW, if your a wine drinker I'd bring enough aboard at embarkation to enjoy your inside, at least initially.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

Thanks so much everyone, some good tips about lighting and the TV. I did book it as a guarantee, but holding out litte hope of an upgrade! I rather like the idea of Mrs Toad’s “Mole Class” - we will be the ones emerging into the daylight blinking and crying ”hang spring cleaning!” as we head to breakfast.

I understand everyone’s POV but my 2 cents (USD) [emoji4] I couldn’t do it. Tried it once on a 3 day (long story) and I thought I’d lose my mind, I need to be able to look outside without running upstairs.

I am the same. I tried once, when away with two friends. We each had our own cabin so weren’t at all cramped, though it must be said I only just managed to fit my clothes in, so two lots of clothing would have been impossible!

However, I absolutely hated the fact that once my door was closed I was horribly closed in. I had never suffered from claustrophobia before - but have been extremely so ever since - it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience and one I will never have again. In any case my husband flatly would refuse an inside cabin.

Others, don’t have a problem with them, maybe you’ll be the same?

Everybody is different so I can't say how you will react to an inside cabin for 28 days. I did an inside cabin on Princess and a balcony cabin on QM2. Both were 5 day trips.

Just use the cabin for sleeping.

I would absolutely do an inside cabin again if the price was right. Bring a night light you can plug in.

Not sure I could do 28 days on a ship (even as nice as the QM2) without going crazy UNLESS there were enough ports.