Cab or Uber to LaGuardia

Jack E Dawson

We used Uber all over USA without a problem, except for New York, where the driver tried to claim excess waiting time in traffic and charged us more than the agreed price. Luckily I was able to show that at the time the driver claimed he was still driving us, we had already checked in to our hotel! Uber refunded the overcharge. Lesson learnt, always check on your app that the journey has been terminated.

Will be arriving Brooklyn Sept. 9th on the QM2.

Is Uber allowed to operate at the terminal?

Are taxies available without a reservation?

What is the approximate cost of a taxi for 2 to LaGuardia?

Thanks

Uber is your best bet. They will come right to the door you have exited after US Customs.

Uber is your best bet. They will come right to the door you have exited after US Customs.

I have no intention to criticize anyone for his or her behaviour, but I'd rather be a generous steerage passenger (i.e. inside cabin) than a penny pinching first class guest. So, I'd recommend you to take a regular cab (with a regularly paid driver) and leave the driver (and your steward, and your waiters) with a generous tip.

That said: I'm the most penny pinching guest of all - arriving by NYC city bus at Pioneer/Van Brunt but this is a question of principle rather than money.

Also,he NY city council has voted to limit the numbers of Uber drivers and get them a minimum wage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/nyregion/uber-drivers-pay-nyc.html

Hi,

I arrived on QM2 on 3 August and there were plenty of yellow and green taxis lined up. The green taxis are regulated as are the yellow taxis, but the green taxis are limited to Manhattan above 96th Street on picking up passengers but like yellow cabs they can go anywhere else in the 5 Boroughs. So, the green and yellow cabs lined up at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal can take you to either JFK or LGA. ;)

Thanks Shuffleboard Dude, your comments are appreciated. However I have to say that over the last 3 years I've become a big fan of Uber. In general the Uber cars are cleaner and nicer but more importantly, so are the drivers. I currently have 6 retired friends who are Uber drivers and all make far above minimum wage although they mainly drive for the social interaction. While this is anecdotal and not scientific, I think it is representative. Also, the Uber app allows for tipping which I almost regularly do. Finally, I like that there is accountability. I get to rate the Uber driver and he gets to rate me, its a good system of checks and balances. On the other hand, I can't imagine not taking a cab in London, its part of the wonderful experience.

I'll take Uber over any taxi, and yes they are permitted to come right to the terminal. Even better than Uber is Lyft. Much better company overall. Same premise and the apps work the same. In fact most drivers switch between Uber and Lyft. Whichever they see the closest ride from. I would just rather give my business to Lyft if possible. I'll do either any day over a taxi.

We are Uber fans and have used the company widely in our travels.

We planned to use it from Red Hook to JFK about a month ago. I checked the app for availability of cars before we left the ship. However, after we retrieved our luggage and got out front of the terminal, I got a message on the app showing no availability of cars. Thank goodness I had the number for Arecibo cabs. I called them, and a delightful driver in a nice suv arrived within 10 minutes. The cost was a flat rate and less than Uber. I would suggest you have a Plan B in case no Uber (or Lyft) drivers are available.

To answer your question on the cost of a taxi to LaGuardia. -- about $30 plus tip. Both yellow and green taxis operate / charge the same to LaGuardia. Usually, travel time one half to an hour depending on traffic - usually much closer to half an hour than an hour.

Also note that New York's Dial7 car service has an app with features similar to Uber - when you request a car, the status and location of your assigned car is shown on a map, pricing is shown upfront, you pay via the app, etc.

The Android app is in the Play Store here; I assume there's a similar iPhone app.

when we arrived there was a line of taxi queued up and available to jump in

and immediately adjacent a line of 'black cars' or 'hire cars' which I believe is where Arecibo falls ....

These cars are flat rate and there were both advertising in the terminal for them and a dispatcher dressed just like the taxi dispatcher. We got in a nice clean black SUV for a quick ride to LaG' and we paid the posted flat rate .... I did tip the driver.

I'd note that as we exited the terminal area (we were in first group off) there was a LONG queue of cars trying to get IN to the terminal area and it wasn't moving. If an UBER/LYFT wasn't already at the terminal pick up place, it would have been a long wait . . . .

When one leaves the terminal at Red Hook with bags and baggage, I prefer a taxi that has room for every thing and me. I have had mixed experience with uber (read that small, small vehicles) and will likely take a taxi to LGA next time too. The price is fixed and you can pay by credit card including a tip.

Hi,

I regularly use Dial7.com. They have always been reliable over the years; just tell them how many bags you have. They have large sedans and SUVs. They will confirm by email and will wait for you to disembark. The driver will call you once the ship has docked-I got caught up in a huge delay at Port Liberty among a heaving mass of very unhappy passengers-the driver waited and was very helpful.;)

When one leaves the terminal at Red Hook with bags and baggage, I prefer a taxi that has room for every thing and me. I have had mixed experience with uber (read that small, small vehicles) and will likely take a taxi to LGA next time too. The price is fixed and you can pay by credit card including a tip.

When you order a Uber, it tells you what kind of vehicle is coming. If you don't like it, you can cancel and order another. It just takes a minute.

When you order a Uber, it tells you what kind of vehicle is coming. If you don't like it, you can cancel and order another. It just takes a minute.

Yes, but unless you're familiar with the car models, it will not give you info on actual room for suitcases. Especially on Uber or Lyft, where I've encountered drivers with their own stuff taking up room. And canceling a ride after it's been arranged can hurt your passenger rating.

If you require a larger car both Lyft and Uber have the XL feature. Just use that. You will get a car with more seating and luggage space. It costs a bit more and availability might be more limited, but I’ve used it before when I’ve have excess luggage and it worked great.