Is an upgrade to Princess Grill from a balcony cabin worth it?

uilleann

I suspect I will get a lot of opinions on this. The balcony cabin seems a bit small to me. So I was considering an upgrade to a Princess Grill came. We are traveling with family who are in balcony rooms so most meals with be with them in the main dining room but we may used the Princess Grill restaurant once and eat on shore. While we will be out and about both on the ship and at port. I have a condition where it helps to go back to the cabin every few hours and recharge. I also have a streching routine that I like to do and would prefer to do it in private. So is the room a lot bigger? Does the priority embarkation save much time? It says there is a concierge but isn’t there one for the whole ship? Any other great amenities? Oh.... I think an upgrade for the two of us would be on the order of $1600

The PG cabin isn't that much bigger than a balcony and the enhanced dining is by far the main appeal of PG (along with the terrace and lounge area). Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money if I wasn't going to use the dining facilities.

We are BIG grills fans, but if you don’t intend making best use of the PG restaurant and are travelling and so spending most of your time with passengers who won’t be able to use the Grills lounge and Concierge lounge (on QM2) then I would say it isn’t worth it.

Personally, and this is purely my opinion, I don't care for the PG suites on QV and QE. I have not tried PG on QM2 so can’t say.

Hi there,

I agree with everyone else. Not only is the smaller restaurant and better menu one of the main appeals to PG, the fact you can dine when you please and aren't tied to a fixed sitting is a huge bonus.

Grills guests also have access to a private lounge bar and terraces/decks, so if you're not going to be taking advantage of these areas, then I really don't think the upgrade is worth it just for the little bit of extra space.

Since you're obviously expected to be taking your meals in the Grills restaurant, the maitre d' will have to accommodate a request to be seated in Britannia, whether for one meal or the entire cruise.

(...I'm wondering how I could manage to help the OP out by booking a standard cabin and then occupying their PG table during meals... ;) )

Since you're obviously expected to be taking your meals in the Grills restaurant, the maitre d' will have to accommodate a request to be seated in Britannia, whether for one meal or the entire cruise.

(...I'm wondering how I could manage to help the OP out by booking a standard cabin and then occupying their PG table during meals... ;) )

You answered my next question. So it is the maitre d’ that we arrange for some meals in the Brittania Restaurant. We will have some meals in Grill Rest. but dinner with my brothers and their wives..... is a blast. So Brothers trump better food.

I will offer another opinion. We splurge on PG because of the extra space in the stateroom, which we use and enjoy. PG is indeed quite a bit more expensive than a balcony cabin, but worth it to us because of the extra real estate. You will have extra room for your stretches and to lounge.

The concierge lounge and concierge services are available only to Grills passengers. Others must stand in line at the Pursers desk and the excursions desk.

We also enjoy hanging out in the serene Grills lounge, especially in the late morning when we order lattes and stare out the windows undisturbed.