Beaches in Martinique

somogirl

First, can I say that it is probably better to ask your question on the Martinique board as you will get access to a wider range of opinions.

Has anyone experienced getting to a beach in Martinique on your own?

Yes do it often. People who want to simply go to the beach usually take the local ferry to Pointe du Bout / Les Trois Ilets. If we go to the beach we usually go to the Hotel Bakoua (formerly the Sofitel) at Les Trois Ilets

Is transportation easy to get outside cruise port?

How long is a piece of string? What do you mean by transportation and what you mean by easy?

a) local bus? The main bus station is about 3/4 mile from the cruise terminal and you will need euros.

b) taxi collectifs? (a sort of shared taxi service which operates in lieu of bus services to the more remote parts of the island) Don't know as I have never used them and again you will need euros.

c) taxis? Obviously easy once you have one, though again, you will need to be able to pay in euros. However, you will need to have roaming on your telephone in order to be able to phone and order the taxi (unless you can ask a bar owner to order one for you) and you will need to be able to speak French both over the phone and, in all probability, to the taxi driver.

d) local ferry? Very easy. Ferry terminal local to cruise port and I believe they accept USD. But you will still need euros when you get off the ferry at the other end, unless you intend going thirsty!

We took a cab in 1993 to Les Trois Ilets to play golf. From port to course and return, $100 USD. Asked many cabs. All same price. The neat thing was at golf course we were completely ignored by gal at cash register when trying to pay for green fees. After the shop was empty, she explained that she could tell we were from a cruise ship and she did not want the locals to know that we were getting discounted green fees. Plus a few years of French classes didn't hurt.

Wow! That's very expensive particularly given you are reporting costs as they were nearly 25 years ago for a roughly 50km (25km each way) taxi ride.

In around 2010, approximately 17 years after your experience, we missed a train connection in continental France and had to take a taxi from Nantes to Fromentine (75-80km) in order to catch the last ferry to Ile d'Yeu and avoid the cost of two hotel rooms. That trip cost us €100 ($120). Not doubting the veracity of your report, but just amazed that taxis on Martinique are SO expensive compared with continental France and also that none of the locals you spoke to advised you to take the local ferry.

Think I will stay with my usual Martinique habit of using local buses at €1.50 ($1.80) single and, if I want to go to across the bay to Les Trois Ilets, I will continue to take the ferry from very close to the cruise port which charges around €5 ($6) return!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Corfe Mixture

The ferry was a short walk from the cruise port (at least where the Pacific Princess docked. There is a lone port far away for large ships and not sure which the big Princess ships use) and has a direct route to Trois Ilet where you will find a little lagoon area and I️ think a beach also. The ferry is under 10 Euros pp I️ believe.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and visiting Marinique. We took the ferry over to Anse Mitan beach cost was $7 per person RT and they take US dollars. You can catch the ferry two piers down from cruise ship. At the beach we rented chairs for 3 hrs for $5 and they took $. Then we got beers from a cafe and they took $ and credit cards. It was all very easy to do on your own and the beach was quiet and beautiful.

We just returned and did the ferry to Anse de L' Ane and Anse Mitan. It was $7 roundtrip. Ferry accepts US cash or euros both 7. It's a triangle route. We enjoyed first stop Anse de L' Ane beautiful palm trees and nice swim beach no snorkeling. Beach bar and loungers were available. We sat on towel under palms. Mostly in water swimming. Ferry came every 45 minutes or so. Took it over to Anse Mitan. This beach is not as pretty, but we enjoyed snorkeling. Go right off the dock down to rocks. Nice variety of fish. Afterwards we took ferry back. $7 total for a great day. Took about 25 minutes and water was calm. Our Princess shuttle bus dropped us off right near the ferry dock. There are two different ferries, large sign with times are easy to read, even if you don't speak French. English was spoken on dock when we had questions. Loved our day in Martinique.

We just returned and did the ferry to Anse de L' Ane and Anse Mitan. It was $7 roundtrip. Ferry accepts US cash or euros both 7. It's a triangle route. We enjoyed first stop Anse de L' Ane beautiful palm trees and nice swim beach no snorkeling. Beach bar and loungers were available. We sat on towel under palms. Mostly in water swimming. Ferry came every 45 minutes or so. Took it over to Anse Mitan. Afterwards we took ferry back. $7 total for a great day.

Do you pay the $7 for the ferry in Martinique at the front end and just keep using your ticket? If so, do you know if it expires at some point in time?

The beach for both stops are right at the end of the dock.

We got off at Anse d'Ane. Not a great beach IMO. The sand was a greyish color, water felt cold in late December, water was dark, no fish to look at, sand was not very clean...lots of cigarette butts everywhere. Overall, there is an air of decrepitude, as more than half of the dozen restaurants/shops are shuttered/abandoned. Drinks on the beach was expensive... $5US for one local beer.

Saw Anse Mitan on the ferry back to cruise port. Hubs thought it looked more lively with more choice of shops and cafes. It was a smaller beach, with similar gray sand.