Buying wine, etc in San Fran?

Having never sailed from San Francisco, we are not familiar as to where would be a convenient liquor and or grocery store that we may purchase wine, pop (soda) water or anything that we may have forgotten to bring on board?

What part of the city are you staying at? San Francisco is definitely NOT a dry place.

If near the cruise terminal or Fisherman's Wharf, there are plenty of stores in the neighborhood.

At 350 Bay is a shopping center with a Safeway grocery store. Across the street is Trader Joe's. A Walgreens is there too for sundries.

A good selection for wine and hard stuff here http://thejugshop.com/store/

What part of the city are you staying at? San Francisco is definitely NOT a dry place.

If near the cruise terminal or Fisherman's Wharf, there are plenty of stores in the neighborhood.

At 350 Bay is a shopping center with a Safeway grocery store. Across the street is Trader Joe's. A Walgreens is there too for sundries.

A good selection for wine and hard stuff here http://thejugshop.com/store/

We are staying on Lombard St close to Fisherman's Wharf. We have always purchased everything the day before then boxed it and put a luggage tag, will this work in San Francisco?

We are staying on Lombard St close to Fisherman's Wharf. We have always purchased everything the day before then boxed it and put a luggage tag, will this work in San Francisco?

Yes. There should be a store or two on Chestnut Street, one block north of Lombard; Walgreens at one end of Lombard (westbound).

Except for the Jug Shop the shops I mentioned are in the Fisherman's Wharf area not far from Lombard. Ask the hotel clerk, but I'm pretty sure the 30 Stockton bus line on Chestnut will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and beyond to North Beach and Chinatown.

Yes. There should be a store or two on Chestnut Street, one block north of Lombard; Walgreens at one end of Lombard (westbound).

Except for the Jug Shop the shops I mentioned are in the Fisherman's Wharf area not far from Lombard. Ask the hotel clerk, but I'm pretty sure the 30 Stockton bus line on Chestnut will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and beyond to North Beach and Chinatown.

Thank you so much for all your info. If you have any other info I would greatly appreciate it. Our flight get into San Fran on Tues Aug 18 at 11 am, giving us a day and half before we cruise on the 20th. We have made reservations for Alcatraz later in the afternoon the day we arrive but have not made any other definite plans. We would take in Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street ( our motel Travel Lodge by the Bayis only three blocks away) and China Town.

Excellent!

Just an advisory, your hotel may be 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf, the fun stuff is a couple of block further.

The 30 Stockton line a block away will take you by the Wharf, North Beach (little Italy), Chinatown, and to the Union Square shopping area. It also intercepts with two cable car lines.

Your hotel is next door to an excellent steak house: Bobo's http://www.boboquivaris.com/ so you may not have to venture far for a good steak.

Enjoy your stay!

Last May we went out of Pier 35 and spent the night before in town. We first went to t neighborhood liquor store and bought some wine and paid WAY too much for it. My wife and I then walked to a local Safeway store and and was able to buy wine and some hard stuff for 1/4 of the price of the Liquor store only a couple of blocks away. Even after the taxi cab ride back to our moptel we saved alot of money by going to Safeway.

Last May we went out of Pier 35 and spent the night before in town. We first went to t neighborhood liquor store and bought some wine and paid WAY too much for it. My wife and I then walked to a local Safeway store and and was able to buy wine and some hard stuff for 1/4 of the price of the Liquor store only a couple of blocks away. Even after the taxi cab ride back to our moptel we saved alot of money by going to Safeway.

Thank you so much for this info. Always ready to save money. My motto usually is unless you really need it wait to buy it on sale!!! Would appreciate any other info you can give!!

Excellent!

Just an advisory, your hotel may be 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf, the fun stuff is a couple of block further.

The 30 Stockton line a block away will take you by the Wharf, North Beach (little Italy), Chinatown, and to the Union Square shopping area. It also intercepts with two cable car lines.

Your hotel is next door to an excellent steak house: Bobo's http://www.boboquivaris.com/ so you may not have to venture far for a good steak.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks again for the useful information. I'm glad you said BoBo's was an excellent steakhouse. If we have time we eat there, although (don't laugh) being from the east where there aren't any I'm really looking forward to having an In-and-Out Burger. Anytime you think of any other useful info please just let me know.

Thanks again for the useful information. I'm glad you said BoBo's was an excellent steakhouse. If we have time we eat there, although (don't laugh) being from the east where there aren't any I'm really looking forward to having an In-and-Out Burger. Anytime you think of any other useful info please just let me know.

Coincidentally I was in that area this morning :rolleyes:

The only In-N-Out in San Francisco is at Fisherman's Wharf http://locations.in-n-out.com/154 333 Jefferson Street :)

If you have a chance try their "secret" menu: http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx :cool:

and don't call The City "San Fran" or "Frisco" when you are there. The locals hate both, and it will label you as a tourist.

We'll give them a pass if they wear an "SF Giants" jacket or jersey through out their stay ;)

• 2 years later...