is Ensenada safe?

afairbro

Is Ensenada safe now? Wasn't there recently a year or two that cruise ships weren't going there due to the cartels? What tours are "safe" there? I hate using Carnival for tours as they are soooo pricey and not a good value for the money. I usually book my own tours but am leary of Ensenada.

Is Ensenada safe now? Wasn't there recently a year or two that cruise ships weren't going there due to the cartels? What tours are "safe" there? I hate using Carnival for tours as they are soooo pricey and not a good value for the money. I usually book my own tours but am leary of Ensenada.

Ensenada is a safe city. You are probably thinking of Mazatlan or Acapulco (eventhough I thought the tourist areas were as safe as any major city in the US). There are police, street cameras and undercover cops in the tourist areas. The only unsafe areas are on the streets off of A. Lopez Mateos (the main tourist street), but only because of the open holes in the sidewalks where the utilities run and the covers have been removed.:eek:

You can go to the blowhole (La Bufadora) for $15 from an outside vendor. If you are interested going to the wineries or horseback riding, it is easier to book it thru Carnival.

I've been to Ensenada three times this year.

We've walked the streets after dark and haven't had a problem.

As mentioned above be cautious of the sidewalks. In February I almost walked into the wrong side of a concrete basement stairwell.:eek:

The main tourist streets are fine but the other sidewalks are 'interesting'.

The tourist info/excursion booth is on the opposite side of Big Head Plaza. Can't miss it, it's under the Big Flag.

Actually cruise lines started going to Ensenada more as they stopped going to Mazatlan because of the drug cartels and substituted Ensenada. I've never felt unsafe there but usually go to the main street for some shopping and lunch and then back on the ship.

Cruise ship passengers are not the targets of the drug cartels.

There are many cities in America that are much scarier than cities in Mexico.

Ensenada is really California South. No problem. If you like wine, do the winery tours. They are reasonable priced, even from the ship, and you will see countryside that you would not see otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...
Cruise ship passengers are not the targets of the drug cartels.

There are many cities in America that are much scarier than cities in Mexico.

Ensenada is really California South. No problem. If you like wine, do the winery tours. They are reasonable priced, even from the ship, and you will see countryside that you would not see otherwise.

Not even close - sorry but when you go into Mexico it is not anything like the US, it is a completely different country with much different laws and legal processes. Ensenada is not Southern California, Juarez is not El Paso and Nuevo Laredo is not Laredo Texas. It is entirely a different world.

Not even close - sorry but when you go into Mexico it is not anything like the US, it is a completely different country with much different laws and legal processes. Ensenada is not Southern California, Juarez is not El Paso and Nuevo Laredo is not Laredo Texas. It is entirely a different world.

CW is right.

The laws may be different but that is not what the OP was asking.

Ensenada is very safe and the winery is a great tour. If you are not doing anything illegal, you, as a cruise passenger have nothing to worry about.

• 4 years later...

I just booked a four-day on the Inspiration for November 6th.

We were considering the Miracle for a 7 day cruise but yesterday the state department issued a travel warning for Cabo San Lucas and other Resort towns, so we decided to stay local this time.

:cool:

I sure hope so as I am spending the weekend at a nearby beach. If you guys don't here back from me by next Monday send out a scouting party.

In all honesty, Ensenada is a super safe area and it is extremely unlikely you'll have any problem of any kind. Enjoy a beautiful area that has some great scenery, food and wine.

We went to Ensenada on a cruise about 10 years ago...we did the "La Bufadora" tour...we felt pretty safe back then, hoping that things are still pretty calm nowadays.

It was okay, we took a bus ride through the country for about 30 minutes to get there. The "blow hole" is no big deal but there are booths lined up nearby where you can buy stuff...its interesting overall.

I sure hope so as I am spending the weekend at a nearby beach. If you guys don't here back from me by next Monday send out a scouting party...

After a weekend in the Ensenada area, I can report that all seems as normal and laid back as usual. The rowdiest group I saw was a bachelorette party of about 10, mid-20's gals having a party at the Finca Altozona restaurant in Valle de Guadalupe. I feel lucky to live so close to such a nice destination.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mexico travel advisory, there are no restrictions only caution.

We've gone to Ensenada several times on cruises. We really love the wine and beer tours, we always felt safe on those. They give some history of the area and a chance to see the country side.

Baja California state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain an issue throughout the state. According to the Baja California State Secretariat for Public Security, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

Due to poor cellular service and hazardous road conditions, U.S. government employees are only permitted to travel on “La Rumorosa” between Mexicali and Tijuana on the toll road during daylight.

There are no U.S. government restrictions in tourist areas in Baja California, which includes: Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tijuana.

Baja California Sur state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain an issue throughout the state. According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

There are no U.S. government restrictions for travel in Baja California Sur, which includes the tourist areas of Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

Was there in December. Outside the port building are buses you can take to town for $3.00 roundtrip. While on the bus, they will tell you about their excursions you can add on for way less than excursions with the ship. We took the one to see Balfora and I think it was $17 US each. It took about 5 hours. Not real exciting but you get to see the countryside with a 45 minute ride one way. Once there, there is a huge flea market and at the end a small geyser that comes up in a hole in the rocks. Otherwise you get off the bus and it's a two block walk to the main street. Felt safe in town and on the excursion. Have fun.