Would Late August Be Likely To Have Bad Weather In The Baltics?

I'm looking at booking a Baltics cruise for summer of 2019. For the cruises I'm looking at now it would be $200 pp cheaper to take the August 25 cruise as compared to the ones earlier in the summer. Does anybody know if that price difference is more likely to be due to increased chances of bad weather, or is it just because that's when kids are heading back to school?

I'd love to save $400 but this is a Bucket List trip and it's not worth saving that amount if I'm going to probably hit a lot of bad weather. I know weather is unpredictable, but sometimes it's known to be worse than others.

Thanks!

If you scroll down there are loads of threads re Baltic weather.

We went mid September and it was fantastic. In fact, a bit too hot in Tallin around 35c.

However, remember that Northern Europe has very unpredictable weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there in late August, and had one rainy, cold day (Helsinki). The weather everywhere else was fabulous. But it is totally unpredictable and you should also have appropriate clothing for rain and colder weather. I don't think its any riskier going in late August versus early August - its just a question of how lucky you are. Oh, and if you chose to do a canal tour in Copenhagen, Stockholm or St. Petersburg, check the hour by hour weather since its a little colder on the boats, and you want to be comfortable and not in the rain if you can avoid it.

Likely, no. Possible, yes. I did a climatological study of the past 10 years of the Baltic ports I am hoping to get to next year. Copenhagen had thunderstorms in August 2011 and 2017. Tallinn had thunderstorms in August 2009, 2013 and 2016. Rostock had a thunderstorm with a squall to 41 mph in 2016, and a funnel cloud sighted from its airport in August 2010!

Thanks for all the information. I went ahead and booked for August 25 and we'll just deal with whatever the weather happens to be at the time.

My only problem with going at that time is I live in Florida and that's the height of hurricane season. I'd hate to have one come along while I'm gone. We'll probably just put up the hurricane shutters and ask the neighbors to bring in the plants if anything comes up.

Don't forget that there will be less daylight in late August of about 4 hours compared to early July that far north.

The difference in daylight is something I hadn’t really thought about. But I don’t think I’m going to worry about it. I know many of the buildings, at least in St Petersburg, are beautifully lit up at night and I’m sure I’ll enjoy seeing it.

Don't forget that there will be less daylight in late August of about 4 hours compared to early July that far north.

To compare the daylght in early July and late August does not make much sense. In early July even at midnight the sun is so close to the horizon that it is never dark. In August the nights are dark again, but the days are still longer than the nights. It is not until late September that the nights are longer than the days.

If you scroll down there are loads of threads re Baltic weather.

We went mid September and it was fantastic. In fact, a bit too hot in Tallin around 35c.

However, remember that Northern Europe has very unpredictable weather.

That is very unusual. In the Northern Baltic the end of August will be consistently much colder than early August. It can of course rain at any time but you can usually count on at least 20C in early August which for me is the minimum to be comfortable walking around in summer clothes. Late August can be warm but the high could also be 15C. September can be Indian summer but the chance of cold and rainy weather is really high.

DipBrat

TBH we were surprised at how good the weather was, but as we live in the U.K. We are used to changeable weather and went prepared for every eventuality.

At least it didn't rain, but to be so good was a bonus.

To compare the daylght in early July and late August does not make much sense. In early July even at midnight the sun is so close to the horizon that it is never dark. In August the nights are dark again, but the days are still longer than the nights. It is not until late September that the nights are longer than the days.

For Aug 15, the sunrise was 5:13am and sunset 8:51pm in St. Petersburg so having less daylight won’t be an issue.

Edited by anthonyy7
Need more coffee 😆

I wouldn't mind a little less daylight, to be honest. On our late-June Alaskan cruise we never saw dark. It was really weird, but luckily we had an inside cabin. The last inside cabin I've ever had, actually. I've also seen pictures of St. Petersburg in the winter with the buildings all lit up and it looked beautiful, like something I wouldn't mind seeing. Except for the winter cold, of course.

And I'm hoping for cooler weather (15C sounds perfect!). We live in Florida and want to get away from the heat.