San Diego pre and post cruise

We're doing a Disney cruise out of San Diego next May and I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle our transportation. We're traveling with 2 kids ages 5 and 7.

We're flying into the San Diego airport the day before the cruise and staying that night at the Hilton Garden Inn Bayside (the hotel stay was gifted from a relative with reward points which is why we're not staying at the Wyndham). We're getting in at 1:30 in the afternoon so we'll still have a fair amount of day to bum around the city once we've arrived. With 2 kids needing car seats here's what I've got in mind for arrival and embarkation day:

1) Pick up rental car with car seats at Airport Budget rental car office

2) Hotel check-in

3) bum around the city

Embarkation day:

1) Drop off wife and kids at the cruise port

2) return the rental car to the airport

3) Uber/Lfyt/taxi back to the port

Debarkation day we get off the ship at like 9/10 a.m. and our flight home isn't until 7 p.m.

1) After debarkation Uber/Lyft to airport Alamo rental office

2) Drive the rental car back to the port to pick up wife and kids

3) Bum around for a while

4) Return rental car to the airport and get on the plane.

Is there a simpler way to do this? If I can avoid do so much drop-off/pick-up combined with Uber/Lyft everywhere I'd prefer it, but needing a car combined with the carseat requirement I can't think of a better way to manage this trip.

Nope, that's a great plan. That's exactly how I would do it.

However, you might consider not getting a car on arrival. There is plenty of things to do within walking distance of your hotel. There is a new huge park just across the street and the waterfront is a great walk. There are plenty of pedi-cabs that will take you up/down the waterfront so if the kids get tired just have a pedi-cab take you back to the hotel.

It doesn't look like the hotel has an airport shuttle. But maybe call to make sure. They have valet parking only at $40 a day, which you could save.

You would just have to worry about getting to the port, which could be UBER (probably XL). But more likely a car service so you can request car seats in advance.

For a 5 year old and a 7 year old, you do not need a "child seat"...You need what is called a "booster seat"...

"Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4’9” in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt." (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)

Like this:

14239536?wid=1560&hei=1560&fmt=pjpeg

https://www.target.com/p/graco-174-backless-turbobooster-miller/-/A-14239536?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031143&gclid=CjwKCAiAjanRBRByEiwAKGyjZU4yKY7NW6zLSTBk17asPDv0bQSBq8MbEz-1zrsEs_s3RvCXvgZZpBoCNJAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2Q==

Smaller and simpler than the infant car seat. If you don't own them, you can purchase one at Target for about $20. I would just buy two of these and take them with you. Then, when you get to the airport in San Diego, you could use Uber a taxi or whatever...and just strap the kids in with these. No need for multiple trips back and forth. And, in case you decided to Uber to a restaurant or an attraction in San Diego while there, you'd have them as well...

For a 5 year old and a 7 year old, you do not need a "child seat"...You need what is called a "booster seat"...

"Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4’9” in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt." (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)

2Q==

Smaller and simpler than the infant car seat. If you don't own them, you can purchase one at Target for about $20. I would just buy two of these and take them with you. Then, when you get to the airport in San Diego, you could use Uber a taxi or whatever...and just strap the kids in with these. No need for multiple trips back and forth. And, in case you decided to Uber to a restaurant or an attraction in San Diego while there, you'd have them as well...

I actually considered something similar that was an inflatable booster. But with all the costs put together (boosters, shuttle/Uber) it ended up being cheaper to do the rental car.