Question about Go with Gus Humanitarian Visit

Swells1

I've tried searching for this, but haven't had any luck. We're going to be in Guatemala on a Sunday. Does anyone know how many children (if any) we will encounter at the school? I've put together bags with school supplies, toiletry items and first aid supplies. I hate to think I'm not bringing enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same question. Additionally, I have a bunch of papers and stickers left over from my scrapbooking days. I'm wondering if the kids would like these items?

I emailed Gus directly and he responded that, yes, all 40 children would be there. However, I've read several reviews that said there were no kids on Sunday. So, I'm still confused.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, I now have a follow-up question. How far will we need to carry the goodies? If we have to do a ton of walking with said items, I need to think twice about what I take. If we can bring a rolling carry-on size suitcase, that would be ideal. Anyone have any ideas?

Taking a rolling suitcase is exactly what I'm planning to do. My cruise is in less than 6 weeks now. I will let you know how it worked out when I return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Swells - hope you're having fun on the Pearl! I'm eager for my turn. :D Keep me posted about Go with Gus if you get a chance.

Did the tour yesterday. It was wonderful. I recommend it. We tried to use a rolling suitcase but were stopped by security. They told us we had to get clearance first and sent us to the Guest Services. Guest Services said nothing had been cleared for off-loading this week. We left the ship sans supplies and told Gus what happened. He took us to a local port agent who told us suitcases weren't allowed, but backpacks and totebags were fine. And she gave us two reusable shopping bags. By this time, we were scheduled to leave in 10 minutes. Gus assured us he would wait another 30 minutes for us. So, back to the ship we went. We managed to fit everything in two backpacks, the bags she gave us and the bags we always carry off the ship. It was cumbersome, but we made it work. I'll come back when I'm on solid ground with more details about the actual tour.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

That is good to know! I need to figure out another solution quick since we leave on Wednesday night for New Orleans. I guess we will have to carry it all... ugh. Hopefully it is not too far to carry a heavy load??

It isn't a long walk at all, and all efforts were made to make sure people with heavy bags get on the boat first. Also, you'll be accompanied by like-minded people, and we had several folks offering to help.

I don't know if this will help you, but "packaged" items such as boxes of crayons or colored pencils and markers were all removed from their original packages and dumped into piles so the kids can all take a few. No one child got a whole package of any one item. I can tell you it's easier to transport 200 loose crayons than four boxes of 48.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We just did this tour last week and really enjoyed it. The mahi mahi was delicious! But back to your question: I saw someone brought a case of play dough and there were several small containers of it. Kids seemed to really like that. I also brought a few notebooks, which were the only ones in our visit. So they were handed to the teachers. Just a few ideas...

• 2 months later...

I bought lots of inexpensive school supplies during Back to School shopping and included an assortment. I also hit the dollar store for teacher supplies. I brought a large case of play-doh, and my sister had TONS of small bottles of fancy shampoos, soaps, and lotions she gathered from the hotel on her trip to Las Vegas. I included some flavored chapsticks, some candy, some hotwheels and small toys for the boys. I made 40 little treat bags to hand out (would suggest 50 though) with an assortment of goodies and they were a hit.