Seaside Yacht Club Cabanas

Dr. Cocktail

I can tell you if there are no umbrellas set up once it gets to Miami and there is no shade for loungers in the YC area, I will most certainly sail my paid in full February 2018 cruise but I will probably jump ship for my booked YC 2019 cruise on Seaside. If I cannot use the outside area to lay outside without shade, I will be bummed since I just want to veg and relax on vacation.

Maybe they will come out and be brought on once in Miami (I'm hoping).

I agree with you. We live in south Florida and don’t need any more sun. We cruise the Caribbean for quick getaways. Yacht club seemed like a good option for that. We rarely get off ships in the Caribbean any more. We like to relax in the shade, read or do needlework. DH watches movies he’s downloaded to his iPad. We enjoy good entertainment and fine dining. YC was a

Nice change from Celebrity for the same price as an aqua class cabin.

So this is just me being ornery but I can buy a giant beach umbrella with a deck stand and beach sand anchor for looks like as little as $40 on Amazon. If I weren't flying in the day of the cruise I could have it shipped into my pre-cruise hotel. Wonder what they would say to me setting that up over my chair? ;p

So this is just me being ornery but I can buy a giant beach umbrella with a deck stand and beach sand anchor for looks like as little as $40 on Amazon. If I weren't flying in the day of the cruise I could have it shipped into my pre-cruise hotel. Wonder what they would say to me setting that up over my chair? ;p

Don't think that this hasn't been discussed in our household ........

Don't think that this hasn't been discussed in our household ........

What I'm waiting on is a report from someone who's actually tried it. I got to thinking about it and I have a very large double tiered wind proof golf umbrella with a clip to hook it on a golf cart or a seat back in the closet.

it is very easy to have the pool attendant to move loungers - as the sun DOES move - so there are some shady places to be had - and you can find chairs that are facing the opposite way of the sun....

i do like the sun - not to sit out for hours, but i would also be upset if i was sailing on the Mereviglia, as the YC pool has very little sun....

Now, for the price of the Yacht Club, i think they introduced the cabanas for those who DO want shade - and extra revenue for MSC -

You all must have to admit - the price of the Yacht Club is truly remarkable for the product they produce on the ship - and now even upgrading to Premium Cocktails, then taking 1 step further to have the drink package included ship wide -

it is very hard to please everyone - there is not one ship out there today that would please everyone, but by gosh - the Yacht Club on MSC comes very close to pleasing everyone - very, very few negative reviews in the Yacht Club -

so knowing the way the ship is set up - either go to another area of the ship to sit and relax (does it really matter that you are sitting in the One Pool area - drinks are available everywhere) - even your balcony - i can also bet that there will be shady areas in the Yacht Club Lounge, on the exterior, which is so wonderful to have....

IMO, i would probably think they will ban any type of umbrellas brought by passengers to the YC Pool as they would not want to be responsible for a possibly law suit if one of them were to fly off, or if someone accidentally poked their eye out when passing by.....

In ending, perhaps you might see some changes when the ship sails from Miami - doing a TransAtlantic can be crazy weather conditions - so i think we should all stay positive as there are so many negative people on these boards - give MSC a chance -

Honestly, would you really cancel a YC Cruise simply because the sun is shining.....WOW!!!!! - you are in the Caribbean, the sun is everywhere!!!!!!

it is very easy to have the pool attendant to move loungers - as the sun DOES move - so there are some shady places to be had - and you can find chairs that are facing the opposite way of the sun....

i do like the sun - not to sit out for hours, but i would also be upset if i was sailing on the Mereviglia, as the YC pool has very little sun....

Now, for the price of the Yacht Club, i think they introduced the cabanas for those who DO want shade - and extra revenue for MSC -

You all must have to admit - the price of the Yacht Club is truly remarkable for the product they produce on the ship - and now even upgrading to Premium Cocktails, then taking 1 step further to have the drink package included ship wide -

it is very hard to please everyone - there is not one ship out there today that would please everyone, but by gosh - the Yacht Club on MSC comes very close to pleasing everyone - very, very few negative reviews in the Yacht Club -

so knowing the way the ship is set up - either go to another area of the ship to sit and relax (does it really matter that you are sitting in the One Pool area - drinks are available everywhere) - even your balcony - i can also bet that there will be shady areas in the Yacht Club Lounge, on the exterior, which is so wonderful to have....

IMO, i would probably think they will ban any type of umbrellas brought by passengers to the YC Pool as they would not want to be responsible for a possibly law suit if one of them were to fly off, or if someone accidentally poked their eye out when passing by.....

In ending, perhaps you might see some changes when the ship sails from Miami - doing a TransAtlantic can be crazy weather conditions - so i think we should all stay positive as there are so many negative people on these boards - give MSC a chance -

Honestly, would you really cancel a YC Cruise simply because the sun is shining.....WOW!!!!! - you are in the Caribbean, the sun is everywhere!!!!!!

Hi. I like to spend my time outside on the Haven sundeck while the sun is shining LOVE IT, but I don't like to bake in the sun and need the shade, while still enjoying the warmth of the shining sun enjoying the Caribbean. The sun and Caribbean can be enjoyed while sitting in the shade :)

Just to compare, in the Haven on NCL they have umbrellas. If someone doesn't want the shade, they put the umbrella down. No one is required to pay extra for shade in the Haven and I certainly do not have to leave the Haven for shade. It would be like my saying those who want sun, should just leave the YC and go find shade somewhere else on the ship. If I just wanted to lounge all day in another area, I wouldn't have paid for the YC, just my option as I know you have a different view.

It's fairly simple to just have umbrellas and if those that do not want to use them, they just don't use them. Also, on a sundeck, it may be a little difficult to have attendants move loungers and find an overhang but time will tell. Either way all will be good and cannot wait until February. I am going to start packing between Christmas and New Years :')

Hi. I like to spend my time outside on the Haven sundeck while the sun is shining LOVE IT, but I don't like to bake in the sun and need the shade, while still enjoying the warmth of the shining sun enjoying the Caribbean. The sun and Caribbean can be enjoyed while sitting in the shade :)

Just to compare, in the Haven on NCL they have umbrellas. If someone doesn't want the shade, they put the umbrella down. No one is required to pay extra for shade in the Haven and I certainly do not have to leave the Haven for shade. It would be like my saying those who want sun, should just leave the YC and go find shade somewhere else on the ship. If I just wanted to lounge all day in another area, I wouldn't have paid for the YC, just my option as I know you have a different view.

It's fairly simple to just have umbrellas and if those that do not want to use them, they just don't use them. Also, on a sundeck, it may be a little difficult to have attendants move loungers and find an overhang but time will tell. Either way all will be good and cannot wait until February. I am going to start packing between Christmas and New Years :')

i agree with you 100% - as my post states - there is no perfect cruise line out there...for instance, we have sailed many times with Royal Caribbean in a Royal Suite and Owner Suites - here you:

- do not get a drink package- usd60.00 / person per day

-you have a beautiful bar in the Royal Suite - not stocked with anything, not even soda

-you cannot use your drink package to order drinks to your suite - you must go to bar and bring yourself

-they charge about 100.00 / bottle to have a cocktail party in your suite

-there is no dedicated dining room for suite guests

-we spent 30-40 usd / person each night to dine in the alternate dining rooms

-no butler

-they do have conceirge lounge in the evening that you can go to in a small enclosed area - some with no windows and have complimentary cocktails - or they give you a voucher for 3 free drinks per night to use in the bar between 5-9pm,,,all cruise lines have their silly rules - being we bought the drink package, this was useless to us..as i am not going to be told that i can only drink between 5-9 each night in selected bars....yah...doesnt work

-the VIP seating for suite guests at the pool is 100% in the sun - not 1% shade

-we spent the same cost just for the suite on Royal Caribbean what is all inclusive in MSC

+ on the plus side they allowed in suite dining for dinner...that was nice...

we are currently booked on the inaugural of Celebrity Edge on the slowest week in cruising (16th-23rd of december - smart marketing) in a sky suite for a cost of $4000.00 usd / person - for pretty much the same amenities as MSC - i think they are copying them - but for $3000.00 less for 2 people, i can have a royal suite on MSC - hmmmmmm....

what i really want to say, and hard sometimes to write things so that people understand - each cruise lines feels that they offer the best (in their mind) - but put all the best of all the cruise lines together, you probably still dont have the perfect cruise line -

for the price point, i am hooked on MSC Yacht club, and until they do me wrong, i am going to stick with them....finding shade i really dont think it is going to be an issue - when the sun moves, the shade moves..i really dont see an issue....

you must remember that the Haven on NCL is in a pretty much protected area - very small compared to the open forward decks of the Yacht Club on any MSC Ship....and for this there is 100% wind issues...

BTW, we just came back from Palm Springs, so living in Canada in the snow, we washed, folded and ironed our summer items, put in plastic bags and ready to pack for the cruise.....

see u onboard js for sure -

I guess if tons of shade were a priority to me (it’s not), I might be ticked off to pay for a YC and be stuck in the hot sun. OTOH, I like to travel a lot, and I don’t have the budget to fork over $3,000/pp for a fancy cabin. I think when you’re paying top dollar you probably get more demanding, and that’s fine. But for those of us who can’t afford YC prices, and with all due respect (it’s your money, after all), there’s a bit of Marie Antoinette in all of this, “what? You mean I have to sit in the shade next to THOSE people? Oh, the horror!” -and I mean that mostly in jest. I just think it’s a little weird that someone would say he/she wants to be out in the sun...and get no sun. Huh? [emoji848] I’m personally fine with my balcony cabin and sitting in the sun, or the shade, or going on excursions. There are more important things to me in life than whether I get a free cabana in my fancy suite...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if tons of shade were a priority to me (it’s not), I might be ticked off to pay for a YC and be stuck in the hot sun. OTOH, I like to travel a lot, and I don’t have the budget to fork over $3,000/pp for a fancy cabin. I think when you’re paying top dollar you probably get more demanding, and that’s fine. But for those of us who can’t afford YC prices, and with all due respect (it’s your money, after all), there’s a bit of Marie Antoinette in all of this, “what? You mean I have to sit in the shade next to THOSE people? Oh, the horror!” -and I mean that mostly in jest. I just think it’s a little weird that someone would say he/she wants to be out in the sun...and get no sun. Huh? [emoji848] I’m personally fine with my balcony cabin and sitting in the sun, or the shade, or going on excursions. There are more important things to me in life than whether I get a free cabana in my fancy suite...

OK, have to respond to this one .....

There's no Marie Antoinette action happening here but ... where did I or anyone else say that they wanted a free cabana?

Also, when you say that you're "personally fine with my balcony cabin", aren't you being horrible and prejudicial to those in outside and inside cabins? I am shocked at your insensitivity.

Many here never stated that they didn't want to be outside - they said that some people don't get pleasure in sitting on a sun-blasted deck. Have you considered that some people actually get pleasure while sitting outside under a shady tree or umbrella?

I love to sit in my backyard in the shade with a G & T and a book and read for, well, hours. It's one of the highlights of my summer.

I'm just kinda' surprised that in a ship that cost 825 Million US Dollars to build, it didn't cross anyone's mind to go to Costco and buy a couple of umbrellas for those who, as you said, who are paying top dollar.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

Don’t want to sound like a broken record but, the lack of shade is not negotiable. DH has had multiple skin cancers removed including 2 unrelated melonanimas. Probably his own fault from many years of playing golf without sunscreen we loved everything about YC except the shade issue and I was hoping they’d deal with it on this ship. If you add in the posted cost of a cabana there are many other options.

I'm glad this thread has popped up as this has been an issue concerning me since I managed to see some photographs of the YC pool area. I am sailing on Seaside in March 2018 and there is no way I can sit outside in the full rays of the sun especially when I'm normally used to the dull UK weather. For a ship designed for hot weather I do feel the lack of shade is a major issue if its not addressed by the time Seaside deploys from Miami. Everyone is now well aware of the dangers of over exposure to the sun so for any Cruise Line not to provide shade would be a major duty of care failing.

I love being outside especially reading a book but I most have some shade. It just seems very strange when comparing Seaside with the other Yacht Clubs that no shade appears to have been planned despite Seaside being especially designed for very hot climes.

This is of course a very 'first world' problem and I feel very lucky to have the chance to experience her. Lets hope sense prevails and some sensible provision is made.

yes - i agree that they should have some shade, - and perhaps when the ship sails from Miami, you might find umbrellas being installed - time will tell....

With this in mind, remember that they have built an indoor pool - completely covered and protected from the sun - they also have Cabanas that can be rented in the yacht Club -

The food / bar area of the YC pool seems to have shade as well

it is going to be an issue of - "it is what it is" -

If all have complained (as they say they have) - about the One Pool on the Divina and lack of shade - and nothing has been done - then i will hold out little hope that they will make changes to rectify this -

There ARE options to avoid the sun on this ship.....perhaps not the loungers in the YC pool, but u will find some shade, i am pretty sure on this -

I have been an active follower of CC forums for years, and have always appreciated the opportunity learn and hear about other cruisers experiences especially on ships where my wife and I have upcoming cruises. We will be sailing on the Seaside in February and are really looking forward to sailing on a new ship with a cruise line we've never sailed before.

I am not a very active contributor to CC forums, and I never criticize other contributors...until now. I have never witnessed as many whiny, negative people as I've seen in countless threads concerning the Seaside. The negative comments towards a cruise experience by folks that haven't even been on the ship utterly confounds me. And these comments are coming from veteran cruisers some with dozens of cruises to their names that should really know better by now concerning new ships.

So what if MSC doesn't provide the same up front press and information as RCL or NCL or any other cruise line. That's their business decision. The cruiser has the ultimate decision to choose the ship they want to sail on. To listen to people on all these threads you would thing that MSC was building the ship personally for them.

People, it's a cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean. It's a pool and 'SUN'deck. It's not a shade deck. If you want shade MSC provides you the opportunity to purchase shade on a 'SUN'deck. Or, you can go elsewhere on the ship to find shade in an outdoor area.

I'm truly sorry if I'm offending anyone or hurting their feelings, but the whining concerning this ship has become absolutely ludicrous. If you're that concerned book another cruise ship where you're absolutely guaranteed the experience you demand.

People, it's a cruise ship sailing in the Caribbean. It's a pool and 'SUN'deck. It's not a shade deck. If you want shade MSC provides you the opportunity to purchase shade on a 'SUN'deck. Or, you can go elsewhere on the ship to find shade in an outdoor area.

yes - this is what i am trying to convey - if there is no sun in the YC pool, then take your inclusive drink package to find a nice quiet shady area of the ship that you are comfortable with and enjoy - that is what the vacation is all about after all -

YC on MSC is close to perfection - however some other cruise lines offer in-suite dining for dinner, but MSC does not - but I accept this and move on - after all, -I- and -I- alone chose this cruise line and no-one forced me to book something that i don't like -

Again, the YC One Pool on the Divina has little shade and now so does the Seaside, but now on the Seaside you can rent cabanas - that is their solution - this is what we all need to accept or spend 2x the price and sail in the Haven on NCL -

very hard to please 5600 passengers on 1 ship - it just is not going to happen....

I have been an active follower of CC forums for years, and have always appreciated the opportunity learn and hear about other cruisers experiences especially on ships where my wife and I have upcoming cruises. We will be sailing on the Seaside in February and are really looking forward to sailing on a new ship with a cruise line we've never sailed before.

I am not a very active contributor to CC forums, and I never criticize other contributors...until now. I have never witnessed as many whiny, negative people as I've seen in countless threads concerning the Seaside. The negative comments towards a cruise experience by folks that haven't even been on the ship utterly confounds me. And these comments are coming from veteran cruisers some with dozens of cruises to their names that should really know better by now concerning new ships.

So what if MSC doesn't provide the same up front press and information as RCL or NCL or any other cruise line. That's their business decision. The cruiser has the ultimate decision to choose the ship they want to sail on. To listen to people on all these threads you would thing that MSC was building the ship personally for them.

I'm truly sorry if I'm offending anyone or hurting their feelings, but the whining concerning this ship has become absolutely ludicrous. If you're that concerned book another cruise ship where you're absolutely guaranteed the experience you demand.

I have to say I agree with you, especially about the generally negative tone on many Seaside threads. In some cases, as with Dr. Cocktail who I know has wry humor, people are just having fun being picky; in many others however, people are wholly unreasonable/illogical IMHO. Whenever these people say the MSC "should" offer something they want, or complain that another line does offer something, my thought is: then book with another line. I am seeing much the same of the Edge board where a new, anticipated ship is being criticized in advance. We are booked on both over then next year+. I am excited to try both. While curious about amenities, pricing of restaurants etc, I reserve judgment until I actually get to see how it works out. Lastly, when some things are such a clear bargain, as they YC most definitely is, add-on pricing irrelevant to me. Even if I paid for a cabana almost every day or paid a la carte for a few restaurants I'd still be ahead compared to almost any similar experience elsewhere. Hopefully everyone will calm down once more reviews start being posted next month.

They did when it comes to Meraviglia ............ there's almost too much shade on the One Pool Deck for those who'd like to sunbathe.
Thanks Bea for throwing salt in an open wound for those Seaside Yacht Clubbers that wish to have shade while enjoying the amenities of the YC One Pool, in the YC, not elsewhere and not having to pay extra for a Cabana. Kind of illogical to have umbrellas on an initially European based ship, Meraviglia and not have them on a ship specifically designed for Caribbean sailings.

Thanks Bea for throwing salt in an open wound .......................

Kind of illogical to have umbrellas on an initially European based ship, Meraviglia and not have them on a ship specifically designed for Caribbean sailings.

Hi, S. Sorry for that! :o :D

Bytheway, they don't have umbrellas on Meraviglia - they have, like, strips of tinted glass overhead of the sun loungers with narrow breaks in between to let the sun thru'. I really don't know how to describe it otherwise.

For someone who has melanoma to want to spend his/her vacation outside in the sun while simultaneously avoiding it sounds frankly ridiculous.

I think it is pretty rude to say such a thing. Why shouldn't someone who's not very tan or had melanoma get to enjoy all the amenities of the cruise their hard work has paid for? Why shouldn't people who've had to endure cancer be allowed to enjoy whatever they can however they can? Based on my observations over the last 10-15 years most people can't sit in the sun for very long at the beach or pool without some shade or else they burn severely so wanting there to be shade available at any pool- or beach- side seems pretty normal regardless of whether they've had cancer.

we are booked on a B2B in Feb, if YC has no shade: first and last booking with MSC....

Why should I pay for something I'm not able to use? - room outside, a not crowded place to relax...but not in full sunlight

There a lots of places with shade in the YC.Look t the videaos and you will see most of the seating area is covered, both for the bar and the area between the pool and whirlpool areas. Also, the loungers around the front will often be in partial sun. What there isn't is a lot of space to lay down to catch the sun that are not in the sun. If you want to be outside and read or relax in the shade there will be plenty of space for that.

You have a link on CC that has current video footage of the YC one pool area? Or is it from the book of faces?

Here is the link,

The YC footage starts at the 8 minute mark. It's in German, but you'll get the point, and he goes through the whole top deck area, followed by the restaurant and lounge. Enjoy!