San Juan Forts

BSBRose21

THX for the responses. I guess I should also mention that we will have 3 kids with us- a 10 month old (will be in a stroller), a 7 & 8 yr old. Is it still walkable with kids?

It also depends on which pier your ship docks at. The Pan American pier is quite a bit farther away than the other piers in San Juan.

san-juan-cruise-port-map-large.jpg

It also depends on which pier your ship docks at. The Pan American pier is quite a bit farther away than the other piers in San Juan.

san-juan-cruise-port-map-large.jpg

I can't say it's never happened, but it would be very unusual for a ship making a port call in San Juan to dock at Pan American Pier. Normally port calls dock at the Old San Juan piers.

THX for the responses. I guess I should also mention that we will have 3 kids with us- a 10 month old (will be in a stroller), a 7 & 8 yr old. Is it still walkable with kids?

It's up hill, probably a bit over a mile, and it can be very hot in San Juan. You know your children's tolerance of those walking conditions better than anyone.

Also a lot of cobblestone streets. When we were there it was in late April and it was hot and humid. It was just me and hubby. I don't think I would want to walk around OSJ with a stroller.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in February and it was hot walking to the forts, we had a party of 8 with 4 kids and they were a little cranky by the time we arrived, actually we all were. We even stopped for them to play in a fountain and got drinks. We enjoyed walking back to the port through town, so maybe take a cab or try the trolleys for the ride there and then walk back through town and explore the shops etc. If my memory serves me correctly the sidewalks weren't in great condition so walking with a stroller up hill will be an added challenge. We went to two forts, it was fantastic but when we go back in the fall we will not be walking.

We will be in San Juan on a Thursday. According to the NPS web site they do not have tours on Thursdays. Are there other options or should we book thru the ship? I want I guided tour, not just to wander around and look at it.

We will be in San Juan on a Thursday. According to the NPS web site they do not have tours on Thursdays. Are there other options or should we book thru the ship? I want I guided tour, not just to wander around and look at it.

You would need to be sure any tour actually guides you through the forts.

As far as I know the yours are led by the rangers. I finally found the info you saw, by searching “tour”, and I’m not actually sure it’s for both forts, and that’s different from what we’ve experienced the two times we’ve been to both forts. In the past the tours simply leave every hour or so. Maybe connect with them on FB or email or even call, to make sure?

Where do you catch the trolley that takes you to the forts?

I’m not sure the free trolley is running yet.

For people considering walking to the forts, consider this. The forts are not very far away from each other. You reach both forts by turning right from the pier and walking up the hill. First you come to San Cristobal, and then after a further walk uphill, at the top, you reach El Morro (the larger of the two). A single ticket, by the way, gets you admission to both forts. The uphill walk is pretty steep, and as others have said, the air temperature is often hot, so it can be a sweaty, tiring walk all the way up to El Morro.

Here's a suggestion. Take a taxi to El Morro first, and have a look around it. It's a really big fort, with many beautiful views. As well, there is potable drinking water in the fountains and the bathrooms are clean and peasant. After El Morro, walk down the hill toward the pier and stop in at the smaller fort. It's about halfway, and the same ticket gets you in. Enjoy the cool interior spaces, and use the drinking fountains and bathrooms there. Then walk the rest of the way downhill to the pier.

The forts are very well-run and maintained, with many signs and other information. The most amazing thing about them to me is imagining those long-ago military men, far from home, building the forts largely by hand in the hot conditions. Waiting for an attack from the sea, wondering if they would ever see home again. What a life that would have been.

Oh, and even if the trolleys are working, they are real bone-shakers! They have hard wheels that rattle and bump over the cobblestones. The noise is so loud you can't hear the tour commentary. Once was enough for me! Taxi to El Morro doesn't cost much.

For people considering walking to the forts, consider this. The forts are not very far away from each other. You reach both forts by turning right from the pier and walking up the hill. First you come to San Cristobal, and then after a further walk uphill, at the top, you reach El Morro (the larger of the two). A single ticket, by the way, gets you admission to both forts. The uphill walk is pretty steep, and as others have said, the air temperature is often hot, so it can be a sweaty, tiring walk all the way up to El Morro.

Here's a suggestion. Take a taxi to El Morro first, and have a look around it. It's a really big fort, with many beautiful views. As well, there is potable drinking water in the fountains and the bathrooms are clean and peasant. After El Morro, walk down the hill toward the pier and stop in at the smaller fort. It's about halfway, and the same ticket gets you in. Enjoy the cool interior spaces, and use the drinking fountains and bathrooms there. Then walk the rest of the way downhill to the pier.

The forts are very well-run and maintained, with many signs and other information. The most amazing thing about them to me is imagining those long-ago military men, far from home, building the forts largely by hand in the hot conditions. Waiting for an attack from the sea, wondering if they would ever see home again. What a life that would have been.

You seem familiar with the forts. I am trying to find a guided tour of the forts, we like the more detailed info from a tour guide then just walking around and reading signs. Do you know of any companies offering tours on a Thursday (The NPS web site tours are not on Thursday).