JMHamburg and others please help with Hamburg

Hi

I know that there are people with local knowledge of Hamburg and area out there. I hope you will share some ideas, hotel accomodations, areas to stay away from and destinations close by to see.

I am looking for a hotel for 3 nights pre- cruise. From tour books I was leaning towards Hotel Hafen Hamburg and the Movenpick (I now have heard negatives to that location).

My DH and I are late 50's, love photography, history and people watching. Would love to take a train out of Hamburg to a medieval type town.

I have started this new thread instead of using Annies thread because that is more or less for NE Germany questions (Berlin).Hopefully this thread will get the attentions of those with Hamburg expertise.

Any and all info would be appreciated. Sincerely Karen

The best area in terms of cleanliness is at the Innere Alster/Rathaus/Alter Wall. The seediest area is the St. Pauli red light district with striptease places and bars. For hotels, I would ask on the trip advisor forum. We stayed at the Radisson Blue at the airport for our one night.

A good 'medieval type' town to visit is Luebeck.

Wismar is supposed to be a lovely little town (it is a world heritage site as well) founded in the late Middle Ages although I think that it is more of a Hanseatic town then medieval town.

http://www.wismar.de/index.phtml?La=2&NavID=1800.3.2

the train takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes, it also requires at least one change.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=15076&seqnr=3&ident=mn.03151276.1471366462&rt=1&OK#focus

I know that there are people with local knowledge of Hamburg and area out there. I hope you will share some ideas

Yes, I'll do my best to help you here! First some basic information:

There is a very good and frequent public transport; info at http://www.hvv.de (switch to 'English' at the bottom of that page). Ticket machines offer 'English' at the bottom as well. Single ticket from airport to city center for example costs € 3.20, a day ticket for unlimited use of public transport for one day € 6.20 (valid in 'Großbereich Hamburg', rings A+B from monday to friday 09:00am to 06:00am the next morning; on weekend and public holidays 24hrs). Public transport includes Bus / U-Bahn (metro) / S-Bahn (MRT) / harbor ferry lines / regional trains within the system, but no taxis and harbor cruises, of course.

In Germany, Cash Payment is usual / customary! In hotels, for car rental, credit cards are accepted, in public transport, you are advised to pay cash.

Please don't expect people to speak English - this also applies for public transport and taxis - except in hotels and tourist info, of course. Most foreign languages spoken in Hamburg are from eastern Europe, Islamic countries, and increasingly, southern Europe; we have the biggest Portugese community in Germany, with some good restaurants. If you need help, look for younger people or those who walk around in suits.

If you're searching for a Hotel, booking.com (select 'Hamburg, Hansestadt Hamburg, Germany') and hrs.de (switch to your language) offer the greatest choice; then activate filter 'Distance to Downtown / City Center'; tripadvisor.com will also get you a good selection. Refer to the map view to see the location of hotels.

The point is, you can get to most sights by Walking if you choose a hotel within or at the half circle around the city center. If you look at the map at Tripadvisor for example, the half circle is limited by the park 'Planten un Blomen' in the west, the 'Kennedybrucke' in the north, the central station in the east, and the half circle also includes our new 'Hafen City' with famous 'Speicherstadt' (ware-/storehouse district; UNESCO heritage) in the south east, with some very new hotels, and the famous new 'Elbphilharmonie'. Comfortable walking time from one point to it's farthest within this half circle is less than 1 hour.

If you hear Hamburger's talking about the 'most beautiful city', they speak about Hamburg itself! This is just because Hamburg is indeed the most beautiful city, and because were are cultivating some decent hanseatic arrogance.

If you have no idea of Hamburg or don't know what to visit, just take a look to my Photo Collection, which includes nearly all important places of interest, except museums, hotels and the like:

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/janmartin03/Hamburg/story

Scroll through it and click on an image to see the description. Some images are from our famous 'Harbor Birthday' (1st or 2nd weekend in May every year; expect hotels to be outsold in greater Hamburg area), and 'Blue Port' ('Cruise Days' every 2 years).

Hamburg is a very Cosmopolitan city, a melting pot, with lots of tourists, so ...

Welcome To Hamburg !

Would love to take a train out of Hamburg to a medieval type town.

Hamburg does not have much of a medieval past, more hanseatic, but nearly everything burned down with the big fire in 1842, most of the rest was then destroyed in WW2. There are some few spots, though, like 'Nikolaifleet' / 'Deichstrasse' / 'Peterstraße'. Lubeck - Hamburg's hanseatic partnership town - is well known and very scenic, just less than 1 hour by train.

I am looking for a hotel for 3 nights pre- cruise

There are way too many options to give any recommendation into the blue, it really depends on the traveller's demands and time / season of vacation, and the availability of rooms. Hamburg is highly frequented, and you are advised to book early in advance. As an experienced traveller, I always search for free and suitable hotels first, regarding price and location, and then care about ratings, critics and the like. It's so easy to find free rooms in good hotels nowadays, just by browsing hotel, booking and reservations portals. You may search for a hotel on your own first, and then ask locals here for their opinion on your choice, for example.

There are way too many options to give any recommendation into the blue, it really depends on the traveller's demands and time / season of vacation, and the availability of rooms. Hamburg is highly frequented, and you are advised to book early in advance. As an experienced traveller, I always search for free and suitable hotels first, regarding price and location, and then care about ratings, critics and the like. It's so easy to find free rooms in good hotels nowadays, just by browsing hotel, booking and reservations portals. You may search for a hotel on your own first, and then ask locals here for their opinion on your choice, for example.

So glad you have answered by thread! Love the pictures, my DH and I are big photo buffs and this is very helpful

Any thoughts on these hotels:

IBIS Hamburg Alster Centrum

Arcotel Onyx

Scandic Hamburg

Haften Hamburg

Would Lubuck be the best town to visit. Thanks Karen

Edited by happy_travellers

IBIS Hamburg Alster Centrum >>> very central but there could be noise from the railroad

Arcotel Onyx >>> at the entrance to the redlight quarter 'Reeperbahn' (see comment below)

Scandic Hamburg >>> this is more far away from sights compared to the other hotels listed here

Hafen Hamburg >>> very good location

Would Lubeck be the best town to visit.

I like Lubeck, just google some pictures in order to see whether it's worth an excursion.

Hamburg's redlight quarter 'Reeperbahn' is an important part of Hamburg, and it's world famous, as a result of the harbor history over the past centuries. I very recently walked down Reeperbahn, and thought, that this is not one of Hamburg's best parts, it's ugly and dilapidated in some areas. I really don't understand why so many tourists get off on that part of the most beautiful town. Crime is also an issue there, even German tourists have been ripped off in bars, urged to pay way too much. Despite court cases, it is still an issue. On the other hand, Reeperbahn and the surroundings is one of the cultural, entertaining and gastronomic epic centers of the town. It's not a no-go area, but I would be more careful, or even avoid it. My recommendation regarding 'Reperbahn' for tourists: Leave valuables in the Hotel, walk down 'Reperbahn' once, just to see it, and that's it.

Edited by JMHamburg
typo correction

Hamburg's redlight quarter 'Reeperbahn' is an important part of Hamburg, and it's world famous, as a result of the harbor history over the past centuries. I very recently walked down Reeperbahn, and thought, that this is not one of Hamburg's best parts, it's ugly and dilapidated in some areas. I really don't understand why so many tourists get off on that part of the most beautiful town. Crime is also an issue there, even German tourists have been ripped off in bars, urged to pay way too much. Despite court cases, it is still an issue. On the other hand, Reeperbahn and the surroundings is one of the cultural, entertaining and gastronomic epic centers of the town. It's not a no-go area, but I would be more careful, or even avoid it. My recommendation regarding 'Reperbahn' for tourists: Leave valuables in the Hotel, walk down 'Reperbahn' once, just to see it, and that's it.

Thank you. This is very useful info. My intuition was to book Hafen Hamburg as it seemed to have a nice German/ Hanseatic feel to it. Although it is hard to know which rooms to book new or old wing.

If you were having family visit what hotel would you tell them to book? Yup putting you on the spot. LOL

Is there a Beer Hall or very German restaurant that you would recommend. Not interested in good steakhouse or the like as I can get that in Canada.

Thanks again, Karen

Yes, I'll do my best to help you here! First some basic information:

There is a very good and frequent public transport; info at http://www.hvv.de (switch to 'English' at the bottom of that page). Ticket machines offer 'English' at the bottom as well. Single ticket from airport to city center for example costs € 3.20, a day ticket for unlimited use of public transport for one day € 6.20 (valid in 'Großbereich Hamburg', rings A+B from monday to friday 09:00am to 06:00am the next morning; on weekend and public holidays 24hrs). Public transport includes Bus / U-Bahn (metro) / S-Bahn (MRT) / harbor ferry lines / regional trains within the system, but no taxis and harbor cruises, of course.

In Germany, Cash Payment is usual / customary! In hotels, for car rental, credit cards are accepted, in public transport, you are advised to pay cash.

Please don't expect people to speak English - this also applies for public transport and taxis - except in hotels and tourist info, of course. Most foreign languages spoken in Hamburg are from eastern Europe, Islamic countries, and increasingly, southern Europe; we have the biggest Portugese community in Germany, with some good restaurants. If you need help, look for younger people or those who walk around in suits.

If you're searching for a Hotel, booking.com (select 'Hamburg, Hansestadt Hamburg, Germany') and hrs.de (switch to your language) offer the greatest choice; then activate filter 'Distance to Downtown / City Center'; tripadvisor.com will also get you a good selection. Refer to the map view to see the location of hotels.

The point is, you can get to most sights by Walking if you choose a hotel within or at the half circle around the city center. If you look at the map at Tripadvisor for example, the half circle is limited by the park 'Planten un Blomen' in the west, the 'Kennedybrucke' in the north, the central station in the east, and the half circle also includes our new 'Hafen City' with famous 'Speicherstadt' (ware-/storehouse district; UNESCO heritage) in the south east, with some very new hotels, and the famous new 'Elbphilharmonie'. Comfortable walking time from one point to it's farthest within this half circle is less than 1 hour.

If you hear Hamburger's talking about the 'most beautiful city', they speak about Hamburg itself! This is just because Hamburg is indeed the most beautiful city, and because were are cultivating some decent hanseatic arrogance.

If you have no idea of Hamburg or don't know what to visit, just take a look to my Photo Collection, which includes nearly all important places of interest, except museums, hotels and the like:

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/janmartin03/Hamburg/story

Scroll through it and click on an image to see the description. Some images are from our famous 'Harbor Birthday' (1st or 2nd weekend in May every year; expect hotels to be outsold in greater Hamburg area), and 'Blue Port' ('Cruise Days' every 2 years).

Hamburg is a very Cosmopolitan city, a melting pot, with lots of tourists, so ...

Welcome To Hamburg !

Many thanks to happy_travellers and JMHamburg for this thread.

Of the many cities which I have visited around the world Hamburg is my favourite and if I had to live in a big city it would be my choice.

It is my 'shopping city' and I visit frequently but obviously my knowledge cannot compare with that of someone who lives there.

In the past I have tried to answer questions about Hamburg, Bremen etc. posed on my 'NE Germany' thread when no one else seemed interested but I am more than happy to leave questions on places west of the Elbe to someone with more knowledge than myself and stick to my own area ie. Rostock, Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund, Berlin etc. and other places easily accessible from Warnemunde.

Keep up the good work.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Of the many cities which I have visited around the world Hamburg is my favourite and if I had to live in a big city it would be my choice.

It is my 'shopping city' and I visit frequently but obviously my knowledge cannot compare with that of someone who lives there.

In the past I have tried to answer questions about Hamburg, Bremen etc. posed on my 'NE Germany' thread when no one else seemed interested but I am more than happy to leave questions on places west of the Elbe to someone with more knowledge than myself and stick to my own area ie. Rostock, Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund, Berlin etc. and other places easily accessible from Warnemunde.

Keep up the good work.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Welcome Annie

When you visit on shopping trips where do you stay, eat and shop? Thanks Karen

My intuition was to book Hafen Hamburg as it seemed to have a nice German / Hanseatic feel to it. Although it is hard to know which rooms to book new or old wing.

I would prefer the new wing, in the upper floors, rooms may have a much better view, but could be more expensive, I think. New buildings and rooms are / should be more quiet.

If you were having family visit what hotel would you tell them to book? Yup putting you on the spot. LOL

Oh please don't :eek: it's so hard. It really depends on the circumstances. If your cruise liner docks at the terminal in Hafen City, I probably would consider the new '25hours Hotel Hafencity'. They call their rooms 'Cabins', because of the maritime interior. Hotel is situated close to terminal and metro station. Otherwise, Hamburg has more than 300 hotels, and builds many new ones every year.

Is there a Beer Hall or very German restaurant that you would recommend. Not interested in good steakhouse or the like as I can get that in Canada.

3 times a year, we have the 'Dom', northern Germany's biggest funfair

http://english.hamburg.de/visitors/290760/hamburg-hamburgs-dom-english

where you can go to at least 1 sort of Bavarian style beer tent ('Oktoberfest', you know). It always lasts 4½ weeks, and is next to the 'Reeperbahn' entrance. I doubt, you'll find many 'very German restaurants' ('Hausmannskost') in the city, because Hamburg is not very German, but more internationally. I couldn't find any English version of the following page, so, you may copy & paste descriptions to Google Translate:

http://www.hamburg.de/restaurant-fuehrer/2087568/deutsche-kueche-hamburg

Just returned from Warnemunde yesterday evening, it's so beautiful, as well as Rostock is, while so many cruisers waste so much time with trips to Berlin etc ...

Keep up the good work.

You, too ...

There is often confusion over the cruise terminals in Hamburg, ask your cruise line for the correct terminal, and be prepared for (even very) short term changes of the terminal.

Use of terminal Hafen City is limited due to the construction of new buildings and terminal over the next years, btw.

http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu

The best area in terms of cleanliness is at the Innere Alster/Rathaus/Alter Wall. The seediest area is the St. Pauli red light district with striptease places and bars. For hotels, I would ask on the trip advisor forum. We stayed at the Radisson Blue at the airport for our one night.

A good 'medieval type' town to visit is Luebeck.

Hi, I will be traveling with two kids, 16 and 10. Luebeck sounds interesting. Do you know how far from Radisson to ship? How much would a taxi be?

Thanks, Janis

Do you know how far from Radisson to ship? How much would a taxi be?

'Radisson Blu' or 'Radisson Airport' ... and Hamburg has 3 cruise terminals + Uberseebrucke, they are more or less far away from each other ...

You may also try the fare finder on your own:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Hamburg-Germany

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Besides Lubeck where would you day trip to from Hamburg for a nice day away from the city? We plan on a least one day or a day and a half sightseeing away from the city.

Thanks again, Karen

After another incident with the disrepair German railroad system (I was heading Warnemunde, but train already stopped before leaving Hamburg, and then train service was down for hours, so I had to cancel my trip), I don't like to recommend using the German railroad furthermore. It might be ok to go to Lubeck, but service on this track was interrupted for hours lately due a faulty train, too. Unfortunately I have to say that I'm really fed up with it. Using the less frequent bus system might result in getting stuck in a jam. So I'd like to advise you, to be careful if you may miss a ship or flight. Sorry to say that.

But in spring time (blossoms) or fall (harvest) you may make an excursion to 'Altes Land', the biggest fruit plantation area in northern Europe with square kilometers of apple and cherry trees. There are also lots of very old half timbered buildings. Just do a Google images search for 'Altes Land'. It's so beautiful, but only in spring or harvest time. You can get there by public local transport within 1 hour or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Have been looking at hotels again. Wondering about the Hotel George? Also saw the Atlantic Kempinski and Hotel Hamburg Barcelo on sale? Any thoughts?

Also do you have a favourite restaurant with a waterview that you could recommend?

I was also thinking of taking a walk through the Balkenese neighbourhood, good photo ops?

Hope your enjoying the last days of summer, its still very warm here.

Thanks again, Karen

Have been looking at hotels again. Wondering about the Hotel George? Also saw the Atlantic Kempinski and Hotel Hamburg Barcelo on sale? Any thoughts?

The famous 'Atlantic' is - for more than 100 years - one of Hamburg's top addresses, as we say in Germany, it's located centrally and very scenic, and it was renovated recently. The 'Barceló' is also very centrally.

Also do you have a favourite restaurant with a waterview that you could recommend?

No, I cannot, due to a lack of experience. There are a few in HafenCity at Dalmannkai with waterview, where guests can sit outdoor (in an unlikely case of good weather), no cars there. And, at all, there are way too many possibilities in Hamburg, since this is a water view city, with Lake Alster, river Elbe, and all the canals, Just search for water, and you should find a restaurant with a view very soon. It's some sort of a tradition amongst locals and German tourists to have a 'Fischbroetchen' at Landungsbruecken, a dough roll with fish or shrimps / crabs. You will find restaurants there all along the pier.

I was also thinking of taking a walk through the Balkenese neighbourhood, good photo ops?

Yes, at nearly every corner, you can get to Blankenese by 'S-Bahn' within 30 minutes. I shot this photo from the (tide dependent) ferry to Cranz on the other side of Elbe river:

th_Hamburg-Blankenese-13may20141533CESTHamburg03_zpscbba7bb9.jpg

The famous 'Atlantic' is - for more than 100 years - one of Hamburg's top addresses, as we say in Germany, it's located centrally and very scenic, and it was renovated recently. The 'Barceló' is also very centrally.

No, I cannot, due to a lack of experience. There are a few in HafenCity at Dalmannkai with waterview, where guests can sit outdoor (in an unlikely case of good weather), no cars there. And, at all, there are way too many possibilities in Hamburg, since this is a water view city, with Lake Alster, river Elbe, and all the canals, Just search for water, and you should find a restaurant with a view very soon. It's some sort of a tradition amongst locals and German tourists to have a 'Fischbroetchen' at Landungsbruecken, a dough roll with fish or shrimps / crabs. You will find restaurants there all along the pier.

Yes, at nearly every corner, you can get to Blankenese by 'S-Bahn' within 30 minutes. I shot this photo from the (tide dependent) ferry to Cranz on the other side of Elbe river:

th_Hamburg-Blankenese-13may20141533CESTHamburg03_zpscbba7bb9.jpg

Thanks for the info. Your pics are very inspiring. Really appreciate your help. Karen