San Francisco Hotel

robcruz

There are too many to list. I would look at Trip Adviser or a hotel site in map view and see what's close and in your price range. San Francisco will be expensive. However, weekends Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights you can find reasonable prices as the business travelers are gone. Also, believe it or not major holidays can be cheaper. We stayed at the Fairmont on a weekend close to Christmas for $285 per night in a room overlooking Union Square. That same room during the summer work week is $600.

Plus, don't get hung up on staying close to the port. San Francisco is so compact you are never more than 15 minutes from the pier unless you are going to the far west or south side of the city.

We just returned and stayed at Hotel Zoe. Great location. We got a great deal/price with breakfast included. We have booked again for next May. Hotel was recently remodelled and has a very chic vibe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with jamesr3939, you don't need to be close to the port as the city itself isn't that large (relatively speaking). We just took a cruise from there and stayed at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of restaurants from which to choose and close to Ghiardelli's for ice cream. :). The cab ride to the port was less than 10 minutes; we spent more time waiting for the cab to be able to drop us and luggage off than on the drive itself. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Looking for a hotel for 1 night near the San Francisco cruiseport. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll toss in my two cents here...

First, yes, San Francisco IS fairly easy to get around...by Uber or taxi, mainly, for the cruise tourist with luggage...but also by Cable Car, bus or even walking. Do not rent a car...parking is difficult to impossible...and even driving can be a terror for the unfamiliar...it's like driving in no other city--very steep streets with blind intersections and ridiculous traffic.

OTOH, even though you CAN get a ride anywhere, for one night and in a city with which you are unfamiliar and have little time, best to have your hotel be as convenient as possible to the things you want to and need to do.

Knowing that, then realize that San Francisco has a VERY large number of hotels...in all price ranges (though largely to the more expensive side--"Cheap" in The City is likely what may be considered expensive in other places) and many neighborhoods...and yes, some can be extremely inconvenient...or unsavory. Others will have everything you want.

Personally, if I were there for a cruise and there one day early, I WOULD stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Why? Because you don't have time to do that much...and you probably won't leave the area. Some may consider it TOO touristy, but, then again, a lot of people, especially first time tourists, want touristy. Staying in Fisherman's Wharf means you can walk through countless tourist gift shops, ride on the Cable Car, visit Pier 39, take an Alcatraz tour or a Harbor boat ride and visit several tourist attractions without need of an Uber or cab. You can also walk to a large number of restaurants--though many will be classic tourist joints, there are some good ones. And getting to the pier will be very quick...almost walkable for some, but likely a fairly cheap cab or Uber ride.

There are several hotels in the area...including a lot of big chains--Sheraton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Marriott Courtyard, Marriott...plus some smaller ones of varying predictability...Prices, generally, are not cheap...but, for one night, you are paying for the convenience and location...At that point, I would go to TripAdvisor.com and compare prices and read reviews...

BTW, the Hotel Zoe, mentioned above, until a few months ago, was the Best Western Tuscan Inn, which was long a favorite by many here on Cruise Critic...

Good luck...

We got a phenomenal deal with a Priceline Express Deal. The 4.5 Star Hotel in the Financial District was Le Meridien. We paid $97.00! The only options are Le Meridien or The Omni. Both lovely hotels. We linked Priceline via Ebates netting 4% cash back.

RB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We just returned and stayed at Hotel Zoe. Great location. We got a great deal/price with breakfast included. We have booked again for next May. Hotel was recently remodelled and has a very chic vibe.

May I ask what was your great price and how did you obtain it? I’ve been pricing up hotels in the Fisherman’s Wharf area for this August and most are very expensive (starting at $300 - $400 per night, and that’s at the less expensive end :o). We’re looking to stay for 2 nights and need a 2 double room (travelling with kids).

May I ask what was your great price and how did you obtain it? I’ve been pricing up hotels in the Fisherman’s Wharf area for this August and most are very expensive (starting at $300 - $400 per night, and that’s at the less expensive end :o). We’re looking to stay for 2 nights and need a 2 double room (travelling with kids).

We paid $189 per night including breakfast each morning. I checked rates very often - weekly or more. I booked, cancelled and rebooked a number of times as rates were extremely volatile. Once you get a rate you can accept, book it but don’t stop looking.

We paid $189 per night including breakfast each morning. I checked rates very often - weekly or more. I booked, cancelled and rebooked a number of times as rates were extremely volatile. Once you get a rate you can accept, book it but don’t stop looking.

Was it directly through the hotel you booked?

Yes. I also had a back up at the courtyard inn in FW area. I always book direct as I feel it gives me more control.

Thanks for the information, I’ll keep checking. I looked at the Courtyard too and the HI Express. Fingers crossed the prices start to drop slightly ;). Was Zoe a nice hotel? It appears to be in a great location to get to all the sights.

A lot depends on what it going on in the City. If SalesForce is in town you can't buy a hotel room and they even charter cruise ships to dock and use as hotel rooms.

I would find something with a good cancellation policy and book it to at least have something in pocket.