Where_Next

Kayak or hike in Gerainger?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Kayak or hike in Gerainger?

• I’ve kayaked in Gerainger fjord and it was awesome
    • I’ve kayaked in Gerainger fjord and it was meh
    • I’ve hiked to the waterfall and it was awesome
    • I’ve hiked to the waterfall and it was meh

I’m physically fit and love kayaking and hiking. I already have a hike booked in Flam (train up and hike down along the roads) and a kayak excursion in Alesund (round the shorefront of the town)

In Gerainger I’m finding it hard to choose between kayaking in the fjord or hiking to Storsteter waterfall. Both excursions would be a different experience to the ones I have already booked.

So I’m throwing this question out to cruise critic members. If you’ve done either of these Gerainger excursions, were they awesome or just OK?

It would be great if you could give me any good points or bad points about either excursion.

Edited by Where_Next
clarify wording

Dh and teen son kayaked and said it was awesome. The kayaks were very high quality and he said he could have kayaked for hours more. Both peaceful and relaxing and invigorating. Dh said book a full day if you can. We booked with geraingerfjordservice. They sent a car to pick them up at the dock.

I find that the scenery in Geiranger is dramatically different from above, and after seeing it from water-level on the sail-in (and again on the sail-out), I always recommend that people plan an activity that will take them up into the hills for the view from above.

Geiranger is a fantastic place to hike, and you can take off right from the ship. I have done the Storseter waterfall hike, and it was definitely "meh" because it heads up into a high valley with very few good views of the fjord. The waterfall isn't worth giving up the scenic views!

I would vote for choosing no excursion and just picking up (or printing before you leave) a copy of the local hiking map and taking off on your own. I've done the hikes to the Vesteråsfjellet and Løsta overlooks, and they were both awesome. So much better than Storseterfoss!

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/hiking-map