Food Tours

IllinoisGirl1978

Which ports?

Never seen a food tour offered at the pier.

See if Vallarta Adventures and Cabo Adventures have anything privately.

In Mazatlan we do our own thing. Walk the Blue Line to the Church and Mercado area. Eat our way through the Mercado, then get a shaved ice from the guy in the plaza across from the church.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Flavors of Vallarta 2 years ago and really loved it. Through Puerto Vallarta Tours, Cooking Vallarta, http://www.PuertoVallartaTours.net. It was $47.50 each

We took a taxi to the Malecon and were met outside of Starbucks where we did a walking tour of several taco stands to taste the different street tacos - yummy! Then we stopped at a pottery shop where everything is made on the premises. Last stops were for chocolate and ice cream. It was just the 2 of us and our tour guide, so we had a good time chatting and she knew everyone well.

• 3 weeks later...
I can highly recommend Vallarta Food Tours. Done it twice and was not disappointed. http://vallartafoodtours.com/

Take a taxi to the meeting point.

Note: Double check ships time and local time to make sure you aren't late for your tour. Local time has been 1 hr ahead on Carnival ships.

I am interested in doing the Original Downtown food tour with Vallarta Food Tours, but am concerned that we won't make it back to our ship on time. The website says the tour lasts 3 1/2 hours and begins at 10:30 am. Our ship (HAL Zaandam) is in port from 7 am to 3 pm which means we would need to be back onboard no later than 2:30 pm.

Was it easy to find a taxi back to the port at the end of the tour? How long did it take?

I would be interested in reading any other information you could share about your food tour. Thanks!! :)

Reporting back on my previous post...

I am interested in doing the Original Downtown food tour with Vallarta Food Tours, but am concerned that we won't make it back to our ship on time. The website says the tour lasts 3 1/2 hours and begins at 10:30 am. Our ship (HAL Zaandam) is in port from 7 am to 3 pm which means we would need to be back onboard no later than 2:30 pm.

I sent a message to Vallarta Food Tours about being concerned about not getting back to the ship on time and received the following message right away...

Thanks for your interest and yes we have a lot of guests from the cruise ship. We are in central time and usually they are in mountain or pacific. I will go ahead and add a tour at
10am
that should be finish before 130 for that date which should give you plenty of time. Thanks again!

The earlier tour should work great for our time in port so I plan to go ahead and book. I had emailed previously and asked about the cost of a taxi from the port to downtown Puerto Vallarta and was told it would be about $7.

I have been very pleased with the prompt replies to my questions and look forward to doing the Original Downtown tour!

I would still be interested in hearing first hand from any cruiser who has taken this tour!

Was it easy to find a taxi back to the port at the end of the tour? How long did it take?

I would be interested in reading any other information you could share about your food tour. Thanks!! :)

We just did this food tour on our cruise - it was a highlight of the trip. We were done at 2:00 and if you let them know about the 3:00 time frame they will make sure you are good to go. Amanda found a taxi (cheap) to get people back to the ship that didn't want to walk the Malecon after the food portion. Taxi does take at least 10 minutes depending on the traffic.

Nice variety of food samples and also a nice tour of the downtown of PV. Food was delicious!

We've done both Vallarta Eats and Vallarta Food Tours. Both were excellent. Great guides, with lots of insight, and good food. You can't go wrong with either. Also, if you're going to Mazatlan - Flavor Teller food tour was excellent as well.

Attached are the tasting spots, restaurant guide and map. Map is unfortunately divided into two b/c of CC files size restrictions and is also a bit fuzzy.

I can highly recommend the Birria taco at Tacos Robles, the mole at Gaby’s and the Tuba drink by Concepcion. You'll spot Concepcion on the Malecon. Old, somewhat portly, but distinguished mustached man in white with a big jug.

Vallarta Food Tour - Tasting Guide.pdf

Vallarta Food Tour - Restaurant Guide.pdf

Vallarta Food Tour Map - Map - North.pdf

Vallarta Food Tour Map - Map - South.pdf

Attached are the tasting spots, restaurant guide and map. Map is unfortunately divided into two b/c of CC files size restrictions and is also a bit fuzzy.

I can highly recommend the Birria taco at Tacos Robles, the mole at Gaby’s and the Tuba drink by Concepcion. You'll spot Concepcion on the Malecon. Old, somewhat portly, but distinguished mustached man in white with a big jug.

Thanks.