A couple of questions about beauty products...

I am getting close to 62 years of age...this is what I use.....I like Cerave cleanser...then I use Elizabeth Arden's Visible Difference moisturizer...followed by Elta MD sunscreen. I like the foundation by Makeup Forever Ultra HD. For nightime I use a richer Elizabeth Arden formula plus an eye cream. My skin is really fair and I have been vigilant with sunscreen since my teens. I have found that everyone seems to have their favorite routine of what works for them but wrinkles are going to pop up at some time. I just embrace them as much as you can and try to be the best I can be at my age.

Hydration is key. Drink lots of water and use a hydrating masque to restore surface hydration after cleansing and treatments. Skin that may be oily can be dehydrated. Getting the the right formula for you may take some experimentation. Sephora and most department cosmetic counters can hook you up with samples to test products.

Getting your skin very clean prior to hydrating and moisturizing will help the pore issue, too. While I adore Aveda cleansers for their gentle efficiency, Neutrogena products are cost effective and great.

I throw in a clay masque, a quick sugar scrub (fine bar sugar with very light pressure), and/or a swipe of a Nip+Fab glycolic fix pad if my pores are particularly congested. It may take a bit to find what works for you--we're all different. Have patience.

Much depends on the product and on one's lifestyle. I don't think anyone would think they could put on just their moisturizer with SPF 15 and go lie on the beach all day with no consequences. But, some face products DO have SPF of at least 30; I have a moisturizer that I'm using right now from Lancome that has SPF 30. Pretty much any SPF is an added benefit so I don't see why product lines that include it shouldn't tout it, because again- I doubt anyone will think SPF 15 or 20 or even 30 for that matter is enough for a day at the beach. But if I'm just getting ready for a day at work that will be spent indoors, or a morning of running errands that is mostly inside other than going back and forth to the car, I see no real need to slather on an additional layer of SPF 50 if I am already putting on a moisturizer with SPF 30 in it.

I am not sure why my post bothered you. The OP was asking for advice and like everyone else that posted a reply I gave my advice. If you are happy with your skin care routine then that is great for you.You said yourself that SOME have an SPF of 30, and you are correct. I never used the word ALL. Personally, I don't find the 30 - 45 seconds it takes to apply sunscreen all that bothersome so that is what I do. As far as people KNOWING that they cannot use an SPF 15 or 20 and be out at the beach, you are incorrect many people do not understand that. All I was doing was giving advice I learned while working for 4 M.D.s and considering I am 51 and get mistaken for my sons sister I will continue with what I am doing.

Thank you everyone. I come back and read new posts when I can. The school year is coming to an end and I have been very busy. The kids get all kinds of crazy when they feel the end coming lol ( i work in special education) they have been having behaviors left and right and all the rain we are having is not helping. By the time I come home from work I feel like I've been run over and backed up on by a train.. Lol.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

I am 40 but my hormones are all out of whack as a result of my recent cancer treatment. I use Neutrogena’s Hydroboost facial wash, and Garnier Micellar water for make up remover. I use a Mary Kay eye cream, and Peter Thomas Roth hyaluronic moisturizers. I like Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer for foundation, I don’t add powder, primer etc.

I'm a cosmetologist, and i work at a large beauty/hair corporation. My favorite line is Dermalolgica. Precleanse is amazing to remove makeup. just melts it right off. follow up with special cleansing gel. Overnight repair with age smart retinol for face, and one for eyes. intensive Moisture over that. AM routine, daily superfoliant (amazing) which is a super gentle chemical exfoliate . Moisturize again for the day. For make-up, Benefit porefessional for face, urban decay for eye primer. I have many foundations, but i think the best for aging skin, (yes, i'm in my forties), is IT Cosmetics . Nice and moisturizing, not heavy, blends easily, spf of 50. A microdermabration once a month will help tremendously with visible sun damage. hyperpigmentation such as sun damage, freckles, uneven skin tones. if you can't get dermalogica, Murad and Peter Thomas Roth are some good brands. If you have super sensitive skin, try First Aid Beauty.

• 3 months later...

I’m nearly 70 and have used nearly everything from the drug store to top shelf La Mer. I had a jar of Tatcha I was saving, tried it again because I’d forgotten about it, and ran to the store and bought more. I bought it on QVC (video demonstrates use) and also sold at Sephora. It’s used by the Geisha in Japan and is phenomenal!

I would go see a dermatologist. I go once a year for a checkup to look for skin cancer which he has not found any signs of. My insurance covers it. While I was there last time I asked for his suggestions to even out my skin tone etc. Did I need a peel? For my skin he said I wouldn't get much help from a peel but he prescribed a cream at night (insurance does not pay for the cream). I have found that it really works. I don't know how much I have spent on creams and potions that did not work over the years but it probably was more than what he prescribed.

Approaching 54 here...Discovered LaNeige Water Sleeping Mask about 2 years ago in a Target beauty box and now must have a jar always. it's a lightweight gel. Have been trying a sample jar of L'Oreal Intensive Overnight Mask, it's very rich so good alternating days with LaNeige. Don't know why they call these masks when they aren't, IMHO. Using Maybelline Fit Me foundation in a stick with matching concealer; surprised that I like the stick but I"m on my 3rd one. and it's really easy to use. Tried mineral make up: what a disaster, powder showed every line. Have tried Clinique but it doesn't get along with my skin.

I'm 61 with fair skin, a few freckles and at one point had strawberry blonde hair. The smartest thing that I have done for years is wear a heavy duty sunscreen. Currently I use EltaMD screen. My daily routine is washing with CeraVe cleanser, Elizabeth Arden face lotion followed by the Elta MD SPF. I use Smashbox primer when I wear foundation and my favorite is MakeupForever. I also swear by blush and lipstick to brighten up my face. At night I cleanse, use a 2% BHA lotion and a night cream. I live in MN and our winters out super harsh so I try and drink tons of water and use a home humidifier to combat the dry air.

It is fun to read about what other women use for daily skin care. My sister swears by Nozema to this day and follows it with Oil of Olay.

Deb

• 2 years later...

I have started using Jergen’s facial self tanner. I get some color and sunscreen for my fair skin and don’t have to worry about it rubbing off. I am 67, had oily skin with breakouts until menopause. This extra color helps me blend color variations of my skin. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm 59 with very fair and sensitive skin. I use Sleek Makeup CC cream (SPF 29) on bare skin, wash it off with Simple Moisturizing (not 100% thrilled with the cleanser) and Bioderma H2O for eye makeup. If I feel dry after cleansing, I use a little shea butter. I wear a hat for extra protection if I'm out in the sun. I find if my skin seems dull etc, it means it's been too long since I've taken liposomal vit C (internally) I use a brush and just couple of dots of concealer or I find it creases when I smile. Being a whiter shade of pale, I always wear colour on my lips.

I use whatever I like from the samples I get when I order from Sephora.  It's an easy way to try out things.  I had been using Drunk Elephant Protini Peptide Moisturiser and really liked it.  I ran out, so I'm using, don't laugh, Trader Joe's Enrich Moisturiser.  It's working pretty good until I go for more.    I use IT's Bye Bye Red to cover some of my spots and redness.  I alternate between Urban Decay and Too Faced for eye primer (and always with Urban Decay waterproof eyeliner).  If I look really white/pale (like I do now), I'll use Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil brush-on bronzer.   For my now faded brows (thanks to stress loss and Covid), I use IT's Brow Power in the Universal Taupe color.

Outside of major SPF sunscreen when I'm going to be outside, this is the extent of my makeup "routine."   I'm 67 and this is what I've been doing for decades.  Proud to say everyone thinks I'm in my 50s...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1